The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2022, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir strumalot View Post
To my ears the 80/20s have a stronger treble sound, with more fundamentals, PBs have a richer sound with more overtones. If the OP wants less trebles, the XT PBs might be worth a try?
I am OP. I don't want more trebles but I do want the longevity that these strings seem to offer. That is the main reason for going with XS strings over anything else I've tried. To me, nothing compares with the quality of sound and how long they last. I do believe there are better string choices that match up with certain guitars.... but nothing that lasts as long.

My perfect scenario for XS strings.. you put them on a guitar that you don't play that often but still enjoy. You can come back months later and they still sound good. It appears that room humidity changes do not affect the sound quality like other strings (even other coated strings).

My only complaint, when you first put them on you might be taken back as to the brightness and overtones. But that subsides after a few weeks and the strings kind of mellow out a bit. If anyone decides to try them, I'd like to hear their opinions. Maybe you'll have a totally different experience. But for me, I've never had a string set sound as good after one year of being on a guitar.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 08-17-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Let us know what you think! D'Addario has sent a mixed message about these strings, IMO. Their website says the 80/20 are "the brightest" but the individual listings actually place the PB set to the left of the 80/20 on their own scale!
I noticed that too!

Tommy
Old 08-17-2022, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

OK, so I have been using the XS strings since I had bought a new Taylor 314 locally. Taylor had shipped there American Dream series with those, and after a conversation with the store owner (he includes a set-up and restring - one reason to shop locally if possible) I went with these instead of replacing them out with the standard Elixer strings. I find even these months later that the strings still sound as fresh and vibrant as they were the day I got the guitar. Just my own two cents worth for what it is worth.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:56 AM

An update on my experience. My XS lights have been on my H&D for exactly 3 weeks now. I play everyday. This morning I discovered the coating on the 3rd string is flaking just like elixirs. So unfortunately, for those that have found furry flaking Elixirs a turnoff I'm afraid these XS strings are not your saviour 😕 As Elixirs are actually cheaper than XS here in the UK I will probably return to using them, how soon is dependent on how long I can put up with a gross furry G string,
Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 08-19-2022, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
OK, so I have been using the XS strings since I had bought a new Taylor 314 locally. Taylor had shipped there American Dream series with those, and after a conversation with the store owner (he includes a set-up and restring - one reason to shop locally if possible) I went with these instead of replacing them out with the standard Elixer strings. I find even these months later that the strings still sound as fresh and vibrant as they were the day I got the guitar. Just my own two cents worth for what it is worth.
Kind of agree about that.

Those XS strings are the longest lasting "long life" strings I've ever used.

and contrary to Forest Dweller's experience, I've seen zero shredding with XS. Elixir's yes, after about 4 weeks, these no. But I have heard other players comment the same. I've just not seen it yet.

I had a set on my SJ200 for close to 6 months too. Just a slight amount of discoloration over the sound hole on the G and D string.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-19-2022, 07:11 AM

Further to my post above, this is my fuzzy g string. Very irritating feel on my picking hand (I should add that I only play fingerstyle, so not exactly ripping it up with a pick. Natural nails too. )

https://flic.kr/p/2nF9ELn
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 08-19-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
I If I were to be critical of the XS I would ask for less top end, less brightness if that is what you mean by top end.
Interesting..I like a very bright sound!
As they say, it's all subjective!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion