The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-17-2022, 10:08 AM

I have an old Fender (AKG) branded FW1010 that works great but am mostly using the cheap Amazon 5.8ghz one because it’s so handy.
Old 08-17-2022, 12:55 PM

I have the Legato 50 5.8 GHz and the Xvive 2.4 systems for guitars as well as the Legato Wireless microphone system. So far, they have all been fairly reliable minus a couple of glitches.
I genuinely have grown to hate cables, especially guitar cables since I trip over them and yank them out my guitars all too frequently.
I suppose I am 90% happy with how it’s all working out.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-17-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I have the Legato 50 5.8 GHz and the Xvive 2.4 systems for guitars as well as the Legato Wireless microphone system. So far, they have all been fairly reliable minus a couple of glitches.
I genuinely have grown to hate cables, especially guitar cables since I trip over them and yank them out my guitars all too frequently.
I suppose I am 90% happy with how it’s all working out.
I have the Lekato wireless XLR mic system and it fails on me moreso than the guitar system...not sure why.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:46 AM

About a year ago I bought a Westshell system from Amazon. Don’t remember the model but it was less than $75 bucks. I love it and it’s never failed me yet. No drops, hums, nothing.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:07 AM

Interesting reading, and verifies my "the simpler, the better" philosophy.

I'm old enough to have seen many of my favorite blues players who routinely did the "audience walk". That entailed the sound guy following them with an armload of cable, paying it out as the guitar player strolled, and winding it all back up as they doubled back on their path. Vanessa Davis used to make a fairly long jaunt out through the parking lot!

A good wireless would have been handy in that scenario, but I've always stayed close enough that a good 18' cord didn't really hamper me much.

To each his own, but it's not something I'd embrace personally.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I have the Lekato wireless XLR mic system and it fails on me moreso than the guitar system...not sure why.
I’ve had “cut out” issues with mine, but not to excess.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2022, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've found that switching channels can sometimes improve on dropouts, but I have the 2.4 system. I would hope that the 5.8 system has fewer problems.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:24 AM

Seems like wireless technology is still far from perfect and hopefully they can continue to improve things. For now it's still too unreliable to throw away the cords. It seems like functionality depends on many other factors that you cannot control.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Seems like wireless technology is still far from perfect and hopefully they can continue to improve things. For now it's still too unreliable to throw away the cords. It seems like functionality depends on many other factors that you cannot control.
It’s not just the technology, it’s the conflicts with the frequencies and thus the router interference. In that respect, there are variables that may not be controllable. There seems to be some inconsistency in the quality of the units themselves…imagine that.
My guess is a wireless transmitter and receiver cost between $10-15 each to manufacture in China and sell for at least three times that on average.
The manufacturing QC and components used are likely about 90% reliable, give or take.
That’s my theory.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2022, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I have experience with three wireless systems.

Nux system with the mighty lite and mighty air.
Line6 g10t with Yamaha thr30 receiving
Another one of the rebranded cheap 5.8ghz systems (mine are ZXK co off Amazon)

The ZXK have been virtually perfect albeit slightly less convenient than the built in receivers of the other systems.

The NUX functionally has worked well but has noise issues with some active pickups and I have a few more interference issues but not a lot.

The line6 has been a disaster and their customer support abysmal. There are a lot of reports of battery life issues and they essentially don't acknowledge it. Mine will not get me more than 10 minutes before it dies and it has not been heavily used.

It also has random turn on / connection issues where it fails to connect / turn on / transmit. I have ordered a replacement at full cost to me (they declined doing any work on it when I started reporting the issues slightly after warranty period expired). But they are all massively backordered so still not showing up.

When it does actually work and for the short duration it works great.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
Old 08-18-2022, 10:32 AM

What's frustrating about wireless is a lot depends on where the user is located and then where they are using it. So just because someone out in the middle of Kansas says they have no issues doesn't mean someone in a large city like New York won't have issues.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:52 PM

I just got the Laketo 5.8 system. I have practiced with it for a few hours. I really like being without a cable. However the tone is not as good as with a cable and Red Eye Preamp. But then again, the tone would likely be acceptable for most listeners. I hate cables. No matter how I try they tangle up. Being free of that mess would really be a relief. I will keep practicing and working to EQ for better tone.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:51 PM

I see lots of good and bad results from people experimenting with wireless, and yet not a single mention from those who've had no luck trying the Shure GLXD16 system. I've had both of mine for several years now and always wonder why anyone would be willing to spend so much money on guitars and amplification, only to scrimp on their wireless unit.

Some will complain that it's too expensive, and I can see that side of it, for some, but with wireless it's much the same as other products, in that if you want excellence, you need to pay for it.

Time and again I see these wireless threads filled with inexpensive units and complaints of dropouts, noise etc, but most of the time there will also be posts from people with no problems, and the Shure GLXD16 very prominent among those users.

If you need a trouble free wireless system, at least go check them out. I bought my first one in order to get a more compact receiver than the ones that came with my favorite units at the time, and because of the price it took me another year to give up and just get another one for my electric setup too.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-19-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
I just got the Laketo 5.8 system. I have practiced with it for a few hours. I really like being without a cable. However the tone is not as good as with a cable and Red Eye Preamp. But then again, the tone would likely be acceptable for most listeners. I hate cables. No matter how I try they tangle up. Being free of that mess would really be a relief. I will keep practicing and working to EQ for better tone.
I use two guitars and plug my “wireless” bugs into my Red Eye Twin inputs. As you know the Red Eye operates on a 9 volt battery.
Obviously, you simply then connect your Red Eye to your amplification with a cable, but it should be easily enough, out of your way on stage.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-19-2022, 06:55 AM

With my Speaker being behind me no more than 10ft. I would think even the most basic unit should be fine (Vocal wireless)
My guitar wireless has been fine Getaria Wireless Guitar System GWS-8 2.4hz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification