The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
To be honest, most of the high end guitars I'm talking about are electrics. Some of the guys who play with Hillsong United, Bethel Music, Jesus Culture, Elevation Worship, and the like play premium-prices Custom Shop Fender/Gibson, PRS, Suhr and Veritas guitars...not to mention large racks of effects and boutique amps.
The groups you cite here are all major entertainers with large money contracts for recording/touring. Therefore, it makes sense that they can afford expensive gear. No disrespect intended as I'm a believer and play for free in local churches. Recall that some worship music is a big business as well as an outgrowth of personal faith.

A quick review of Worship Music magazine tells us that there is plenty of high end gear being used by these accomplished musicians. In this sense it's a contrast between my lowly duo playing locally (your 'average' worship leader) and a big money recording group touring to support their big national hits (the bands you cite above).
Old 10-20-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
To be honest, most of the high end guitars I'm talking about are electrics. Some of the guys who play with Hillsong United, Bethel Music, Jesus Culture, Elevation Worship, and the like play premium-prices Custom Shop Fender/Gibson, PRS, Suhr and Veritas guitars...not to mention large racks of effects and boutique amps. That pales in comparison to most local church players that might have a nice Strat or Tele, and a few sundry pedals.

I'm certainly not, in any way criticizing these players personally or professionally...just pondering on how their means of aquisition.
From what I've seen, most of these folks have made the trip around to the Gibson J45/AJ camp. It seems like it was Taylor guitars forever and now every time they release a new video, they're playing an old or new Gibson.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-20-2020, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be honest, most of the high end guitars I'm talking about are electrics. Some of the guys who play with Hillsong United, Bethel Music, Jesus Culture, Elevation Worship, and the like play premium-prices Custom Shop Fender/Gibson, PRS, Suhr and Veritas guitars...not to mention large racks of effects and boutique amps. That pales in comparison to most local church players that might have a nice Strat or Tele, and a few sundry pedals.

I'm certainly not, in any way criticizing these players personally or professionally...just pondering on how their means of aquisition.
Hi Op

Didn't think you were criticizing.

All the groups you named are made up of professional musicians, and the ministries you referred to are very large churches (Elevation Church has 9 campuses). Red Rocks Church in Boulder Colorado is another with multiple campuses. And Jesus Culture came from Bethel…

Many of these groups have full professional recording and distribution departments in-house.

The host of the YouTube channel named "Churchfront" has traveled to many of these and has put up videos on their stage and backstage rigs, and interviewed their video and sound techs at length.

The large churches are running professional stages, with all the amps 'somewhere-else' other than near the room, and have a lot of knowledge of pro sound.

It's fun to go down rabbit trails (YouTube video after YouTube video) to see what's out there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-20-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Op

Didn't think you were criticizing.

All the groups you named are made up of professional musicians, and the ministries you referred to are very large churches (Elevation Church has 9 campuses). Red Rocks Church in Boulder Colorado is another.

The host of the YouTube channel named "Churchfront" has traveled to many of these and has put up videos on their stage and backstage rigs, and interviewed their video and sound techs at length.

The large churches are running professional stages, with all the amps 'somewhere-else' other than near the room, and have a lot of knowledge of pro sound.

It's fun to go down rabbit trails (YouTube video after YouTube video) to see what's out there.

Sometimes I wonder if they've been caught in the entertainment side of it......a little too much. I LOVE the majority of all their music, but I've seen from personal experience, local worship ministers who've become influenced too much by them and become entertainers. I've only played to huge crowds on just a few occasions, but I'll never forget the roar of that crowd and how it sucks you in and makes you want it all the time! Not trying to derail the thread, so please don't delete this post.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

This guy cracks me up..."The Honest Worship Leader"?

https://www.facebook.com/essentialwo...3128982461776/

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Whether any of us plays in a worship situation, performs publicly, or plays in the comfort of our home is an individual choice, and the brand or value of our guitars (or how many we own) is generally only relevant to each of us as a player. As a previous poster mentioned, most folks in the audience wouldn't know the different between a high end guitar and a drug store special (there are some great looking cheap guitars). I played in a gospel band for years, and the message was always more important than the instruments. I'm guessing that some of the "mega" churches may have budgets for instrument purchases, but we always provided our own guitars, percussion, and even sound system. Interesting thread! Cheers!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:24 PM

I was a lead/rhythm/fill in guitar player in a worship band for about 10 years. All my gear was purchased by me with no funds or payment from the church or anyone else (I have a good day job!). It was my contribution to worship and I love music gear. I mostly played electric. Had some high end amps, pedals, and a few nice guitars. We played all the popular modern worship songs on a large stage with an average crowd of 150 - 200. I was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it at the time. Had to keep my volume pretty low but that is to be expected. My fellow band mates did not spend anywhere close to what I had invested in gear but we still sounded great.

The church went through some rough times for reasons I will not discuss here and I moved on. I do miss playing out in front of a crowd and hope to again soon - but probably not at church...
Old 10-20-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
This guy cracks me up..."The Honest Worship Leader"?

https://www.facebook.com/essentialwo...3128982461776/

Unfortunately, it’s on point! I know some like that.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I play a lot of different guitars at church. Some are (what I consider) expensive but it's all relative. The bottom line is most parishioners wouldn't know the difference between a Zager and a Martin...and probably wouldn't care as long as the people behind them are doing what they've been called to do.
This is so true.
Anyway, in our church we have a husband and wife team in the church band who both have enough spendable cash to buy nice guitars and they have some nice guitars both acoustic and electrics.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-20-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Refer to post # 2 of this very thread. There's so many dollars in this world, and some have many of them and choose to prioritize fine axes.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:50 PM

My interest in guitar actually sprang from joining church meetings. I never really payed attention to them until recently.

I've been to a few churches across the US that conference together. At the local level (for us) it's mostly $300 and below starter dreadnoughts. Sometimes you'll see a martin with richlite bridge and board, or a taylor in the 200 or 300 series on the top end. Amplification is not as common in these settings, so the guitar has to earn its keep. Many of these guitars have worn nut slots, frets worn almost to the tang, 1/4" action, medium strings and huge belly. Surprisingly though, not alot of belt buckle rash. Being an engineering type, I just could not stand it, so I started fixing guitars while learning to play them.

Still, everyone has a great time, myself included. I've had alot of practice changing strings, closing minor humidity cracks, re-gluing bridges, leveling frets, and doing setups. For us, the guitar is a tool, and as long as it works, we don't much care what you use.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:59 PM

I suspect there are plenty of church music directors who have other sources of income.

But beyond that, the quality of your instruments can often be a choice. In my church group there are guys with sizable collections (D-28, D-18, D-35, OM, Martin 12 string, etc.). Neither player makes their living playing music. They don't drive fancy cars, wear expensive clothes, etc. - but they prioritize guitars.

Since there are always at least 2 guitars I usually play trumpet or flute. I routinely show up with $15,000 worth of instruments. I'm a retired teacher, so you know I'm not rich. I drive my cars for 10 years and don't live in a mansion, but I buy nice instruments.

I don't think it means much, just a choice.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Unfortunately, it’s on point! I know some like that.
Obviously that video is a parody. Even the folks I play with on Thursdays and Sundays will comment on beard oil or some other aspect of it with a laugh or two. But I suppose there could be some who are like that...sad really? The guys and girls I play/sing with are some of my closest, most trusted friends and I'll be the first to say I love every one of them!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I know a guy who played bass in a regional band like this and he told me could get up to $1000 per out of town gig. And he was small-time.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Obviously that video is a parody. Even the folks I play with on Thursdays and Sundays will comment on beard oil or some other aspect of it with a laugh or two. But I suppose there could be some who are like that...sad really? The guys and girls I play/sing with are some of my closest, most trusted friends and I'll be the first to say I love every one of them!

As they should be. I know a couple who can’t make it outside of their church and have turned their church gig into their fame.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion