The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 06:27 PM

Question Your quietest guitar

Hi everyone. A question for you. What is your quietest guitar? I mean what is the guitar you play at night while everyone else in the house is sleeping or while sitting around watching TV with family / friends / housemates?

I currently have a Martin 000-18 and Seagull S-6. My daughter has a Baby Taylor (spruce top). I was thinking about adding a Little Martin (all HPL) to the stable. I realize it is not going to be the fullest or best sounding guitar (that would be the 000-18 &#128521. I really want something quiet but richer sounding than the Baby Taylor.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:36 PM

Perhaps some sort of semi-acoustic? Many to choose from, this one I patterned somewhat after a B&G Little Sister. It's quiet enough to play at night but loud enough to hear on its own, actually sounding pretty good.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Check out the various silent guitar options.

I have a Yamaha SLG200N and a eo folding classical. They sound great in headphones or through an amp and are very quiet otherwise.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

When I want to play very quietly I fold a microcloth and insert it under and over the strings between the sound hole and bridge. Works great and makes it very quiet. Not so good for playing music though, but excellent for practicing techniques, such as scales, slurs and arpeggios and for working on difficult passages in songs.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:17 PM

I also have a Yamaha silent guitar. I’ve had it fourteen years. Right now it’s at work for lunchtime practice. A Yamaha silent is a great addition to anyone’s fleet!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I should add that I would like this to also work as a couch and camp fire guitar, so the silent guitar isn’t a great option as I want some sound.

Anyone use the Little Martin or something similar for late nights? I love the GS mini hog top but i think it is a good bit louder.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

The silent does give you a little sound
I actually find it's an awesome couch guitar

Enough for me to hear over moderate volume tv for me to be able to practice without needing to be plugged in. Obviously doesn't sound rich but also doesn't disturb anyone watching tv etc.

Also I will often stick in one in ear headphone and then I get a nice tone and still can hear around me.

The plugged in sound on the yamaha really is quite good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoret78 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I should add that I would like this to also work as a couch and camp fire guitar, so the silent guitar isn’t a great option as I want some sound.

Anyone use the Little Martin or something similar for late nights? I love the GS mini hog top but i think it is a good bit louder.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Oh and a word of caution on the thinlines.

I have a Collings i30 and even when I'm playing it through headphones where the actual acoustic sound sounds quite low to me for whatever reason it carries ridiculously well. Might be the f holes.

Even compared to playing moderately on my jumbo accoustics I get more complaints when I play the hollow body through headphones when the rest of the family is not up.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:59 PM

I plug a cheap Vox headphone amp into a Les Paul that has a neck similar to my acoustics. It doesn't sound that great, but nobody else has to listen to it.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoret78 View Post
Hi everyone. A question for you. What is your quietest guitar? I mean what is the guitar you play at night while everyone else in the house is sleeping or while sitting around watching TV with family / friends / housemates?

I currently have a Martin 000-18 and Seagull S-6. My daughter has a Baby Taylor (spruce top). I was thinking about adding a Little Martin (all HPL) to the stable. I realize it is not going to be the fullest or best sounding guitar (that would be the 000-18 &#128521. I really want something quiet but richer sounding than the Baby Taylor.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
If I really want a quiet guitar, my Maton 808 would be my guitar of choice for late night play. fingerpicking that is...

Amplified it's astonishingly loud but finger pick it unplugged and it's almost completely gutless (that's coming from someone with extremely short finger nails).
Old 10-20-2020, 12:46 AM

My wife has a Little Martin, it’s 11-years old, bought used. It has solid Spruce top with HPL b/s. I was facinated by the mahogany pickguard on this guitar when I bought it. We also owned a Baby Taylor but sold it as we preferred the warmer tone of this little martin. It is a quiet guitar, sounds a little boxy, but still has the Martin-tone. Here’s how it looks.

Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-20-2020, 12:48 AM

These are pretty quiet....

These are quieter.....
Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 AM

My R.Taylor Style 1. That being said, it really doesn't make much difference because when I close the door to my music room and play acoustically my wife says she can't hear it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Hmm, in these lockdown and virtual lockdown days awaiting our next lockdown, and considering that my wife and I are in our early '70s, we have a pattern.

Whoever is cooking we tend to prepare our evening meal at about 7.p.m. and eat about 8. We clear up by about 9, then we sit in front of the TV. (there is rarely much worth watching on the 999,999 channels until then and increasingly less as the pandemic goes on).
My wife insists on having the 10.00 news and 10.35 local news. She is usually asleep by 10.05.

At about 10.45 the cat clumps down the stairs from his "daybed" and demands that she goes up to bed.
The cat descends the stairs to shout at me about food and grooming then goes out for a prowl.

Now is my time. I have my Collings 0002h, my Waterloo WL-12 and my Eastman e20-P ...all can be played loud or quietly but the most rewarding is of course the Collings - the single guitar that has received most attention this year is my 000.
The sweet, complex tone and playability of it is apparent played quietly fingerstyle into the early hours.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:11 AM

My Epiphone EJ-160 horrible almost silent, lol, but I like the look. Loudest = Martin HD-35.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
couch guitar, little martin, martin