The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2020, 09:27 AM

The GS Mini is Taylor’s best selling guitar. My vote is that it is unlikely that GT can beat GS Mini in the number of guitars sold. But the GT will likely also be a popular guitar. We’ll know the answer in a few years time. Just wait and see.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-02-2020, 09:30 AM

According to Taylor, customers have been sending emails and messages requesting this kind of thing from them for a few years.

Personally, I think the GS Mini meets my desires better than this model does. I don't have a problem getting around on its nut width, and I'm a big guy. (I can also get around on a uke, and I'm learning to play the mandolin. So, GS Mini, no problem.) I also think the Mini sounds great, especially in hog or koa, and fills two gaps for me: a guitar to travel with and a small body alternative to my dreads.

From what I can tell by the videos so far, if the GT sounds better than the Mini, it's not that much better. Then again, I'm skeptical of any recording of an acoustic. (You don't have to move a mic far to make the bass on any guitar boom, then to make it tinny and thin.) So I'd have to play one in the context of a Mini and an x14 before making a final decision on tone.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:37 AM

I've been trying to determine if the GTs are made in the USA. That would be (for me) a very compelling selling point, as the GS are made in Mexico.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I've been trying to determine if the GTs are made in the USA. That would be (for me) a very compelling selling point, as the GS are made in Mexico.
Yes they are, which is why they're so much more pricey than the GS Mini.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I think it will sell well but nowhere near the mini’s numbers. If it was $1000 for the acoustic only version it might be closer. IMO
I thought a 899-999 price sounds about right,,. But for $1300-1500 forget it. Not much bang for the buck here, but then it is a Taylor [emoji12]
Old 10-02-2020, 12:41 PM

Stores that make video comparisons are hard at work right now making comparison videos with the Taylor GT and other guitars.
We will be seeing these videos very soon.

As for now, the GT in my opinion sounds very close to the Mini.
Kind of like the Blueridge BR 40 laminated against the BR 140 solid wood.
These guitars sound a lot alike and the price is double for the solid wood version.

There will be people that love the new GT but more will still buy the Mini after hearing the two guitars played against each other.
Price will be the winner.
Taylor will also be the winner.

This is only one man's opinion.
Your mileage may vary.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:47 PM

I LOVE and HATE my GS Mini Koa! I LOVE the big sound and the small body size! I HATE the super short scale length and cramped string spacing fretboard!
I LOATHE the sharp body edges and it looks like they're more rounded on this model! I'll be checking this one out, but I'll also be looking at Eastman 00 models too and other brands before I make my decision.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-02-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpatrick View Post
It seems to me there are substantial differences between the GT and the 300 series. The GT seems to be a body shape rather than a series. The 300 series offers various body sizes, different back/side woods, fretboard material, scale length, nut width, appointments, etc. I figured Taylor would introduce more body shapes to the AD series- which to me would be a more accurate comparison to the 300 series.

Not to mention the scale length difference
Old 10-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

At the price point, a bevel would’ve been a nice touch.

I just helped a new-to-guitar friend get a newsd Academy 10 for a great price from a private local seller with virtually zero play on it (he’d bought it for his girlfriend who only played it once before she left him and didn’t take it with her). I was present to evaluate it for him before buying. It looked, played and sounded great as I’d suspected from a previous encounter with one. The bevel added to the comfort and although the GT is smaller, it would’ve been a cool feature to distinguish it from the GS Mini. Jmo.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:39 AM

Lots of nice review videos.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 10-05-2020, 05:56 AM

Default Mini

I bought a GS mini after they first came out. Thought it was a good price for a nice travel guitar and I liked it at first - but I never bonded with it at all. Felt and sounded like a toy to me after a short time. I don’t even look at or try Taylor’s anymore. I have tried to like them for many years but they are just not for me.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:59 AM

I've always been a fan of Taylor guitars. I have played other brands and just keep going back. I used to own a GS Mini Koa. I loved the build quality of that little guitar and it was beautiful! It did sound good, but also had a very "boxy" sound. It eventually bugged me enough that I explored other options, since Taylor had none at the time unless going to a 300 series. I wanted something easy to carry when we do travel, but a less "boxy" sound. I sold my mini and currently have an Eastman E10-00 12 fret that is not much larger than the mini, noticeably smaller than my full size guitars, and doesn't sound boxy at all. It's a great little guitar and sounds good however it's played and I picked it up used for half the price of the new Taylor GT. I would like to play the GT, but based on the sound clips I've heard, it seems it has a similar sound to the GS Mini. I might be impressed in person, but so far, I haven't been by listening to clips. I wish I was as I love the case and have always enjoyed Taylor's build quality and sound, but i'll have to test one in person to find out if this model is an upgrade from the mini. I don't understand the nut width either....why not just use a 1 3/4 like almost every mini owner has wanted. It may feel the same, it just feels like they're saying to all those customers "we're right and all of you are wrong". I don't get it. Anyway, we'll see how I feel when I get to play one.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 10-05-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I think that the GS Mini is a lot of guitar for the price. I don't see that the differences justifies the price for the GT. As far as made in the USA, that is not a major selling point for me. It certainly does not make up for the price difference.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

The facts that the guitar is made entirely of solid wood, and not plywood...and that is in indeed Made in USA are really the only compelling things toward me owning one. The guitar is "interesting", but certainly not the groundbreaking creation that Taylor is hawking it as. Only a GS-Mini on steroids.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:55 PM

We now have a video from Alamo music comparing the two. I thought it would be appropriate to post it here, as it provides a nice exclamation point for the discussion:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D5xQCU8-Ln8

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion