The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-04-2015, 05:14 PM

Default Fret Doctor..opinions

What do you guys think of this product.
It has really done a nice job on some older fretboards for me. I do a thorough cleaning and then apply a very small amount to fretboard and then buff out.
I've applied it to a newer fretboard and it seems to bring out the grain a tad more.
Any thoughts on this product?

Last edited by 35' Sunburst; 12-04-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:31 PM

It's the only stuff I ever use on my fretboards .

Last edited by murrmac123; 12-04-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:47 PM

Glad to hear someone else is using it. I mean there are sooooo many products on the market for fretboard conditioning that after using many of them I decided this one seems to work well with a sparing amount.
Really dirty boards need a good cleaning for the most part but conditioning after a thorough cleaning really helps and looks great too. This particular product I find needs a very little amount and goes a long way.
And it lasted a good while.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35' Sunburst View Post
Really dirty boards need a good cleaning for the most part but conditioning after a thorough cleaning really helps and looks great too. This particular product I find needs a very little amount and goes a long way.
And it lasted a good while.
Exactly.

But prepare yourself ... the naysayers will be along in force ...
Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 PM

Lol....not going to naysay....I condition fretboards as well, (what I use isn't relevant to this thread but....I do have an issue with the official advert stating " do it a few times a year or at string changes". If you have to clean and condition your fretboard several times a year you may want to start washing the oil off your hands before playing and stop using the neck as a plate.With a wipe after playing, most fretboards can go years without a recondition
Old 12-04-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysam View Post
Lol....not going to naysay....I condition fretboards as well, (what I use isn't relevant to this thread but....I do have an issue with the official advert stating " do it a few times a year or at string changes". If you have to clean and condition your fretboard several times a year you may want to start washing the oil off your hands before playing and stop using the neck as a plate.With a wipe after playing, most fretboards can go years without a recondition
That is not really fair to say. Although I am lucky, there are other people who are less lucky with body oils and sweat that will build more than others.

I recommend the same thing to my clients - a couple times per year or during string changes. Regular wiping with cotton balls and fingerboard oil will help prevent build up of grime for those that tend towards it. For those with cleaner hands, a light oiling is still a fine thing for a nice feel and look on the fingerboard.

Myself, I use Lemon Oil. I have tried other oils, but prefer lemon oil. I gave a brief "Guitar Care" workshop last night at Dalhousie University for the Halifax Guitar Society. One member actually uses 3&1 oil for his fingerboards. More proof that any light (or even medium) oil will do. I prefer a lighter oil, and a non-building oil.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair