The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2020, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

HX Stomp. Easy, flexible, small and does it all.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Here’s a different thought - if you like the effects you have, then what you might consider is adding the EQ box. I know, yes another box ..... for me the “another box” Para EQ is the most important since it is shaping the tone .... My choice would be either a Grace Design Alix (if you only need the single channel) of its big brother, Felix. Yep $$ is involved but (for me) I want ultimate control over my tone and Grace Design delivers. Various boxes get replaced, upgraded, removed, but my Felix stays.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 10-21-2020, 03:35 AM

Flyrig has semi parametric EQ. Your better off putting a pedalboard together. Put everything on it you want. Otherwise you’ll be forever chopping and changing multi effects pedals because all of them come with compromises.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 10-21-2020, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
And although it's easier to edit the stomp
With your computer. You dont have to use
That function to edit the stomp.
It's really quite intuitive. Much more so
Than a ve8 imho. But I know technology
Can be a bit daunting. Perhaps something
Simpler like a boss ge7 would
Give you what you need. There are other
Eq only pedals out there as well.
I personally think the stomp
Is the best "All in one" box out there in
The sub 1k range.

Last edited by varmonter; 10-21-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:22 AM

I'm another happy user of the HX Stomp. I think edditing is much easier than on some of the small pedals.
Using the editing software makes it so simple. And I like the IR section. That improves acoustic guitars a lot.

Also, last year I had a gig where I played electric guitar again after years and afterwards with my acoustic band. The Stomp was the perfect tool for all of that. A Fender amp simulation with some effects in the first set, a nice and natural acoustic in the second.

Small, comfortable and simple. And no need for additional gear. Honestly this is the first time I don't feel I need other gear to make me happy.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 10-21-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I've been looking for a pedal that can provide basic effects for my acoustic:
reverb, chorus, compression, delay AND also give me more than a basic bass,treble, mid EQ. Something with a parametric EQ.

The only one I know of is the Soulmate, which I didn't care for because ALL the EQs are parametric/shelf types, which are very tricky to dial in. I know I can buy all these pedals separate, but that can get very costly and also take up a lot of pedal board space. The other one I know of is the Boss AD-10, but I don't like the reverb or what Boss calls "Ambience". There really aren't many solutions to this. I guess everyone makes due with a simple 3 ring EQ?

I have been using a Fishman Tonedeq which gives me everything I need EXCEPT the para EQ. I guess I could just add a Boss GE-7 pedal?
The Tech21 mentioned above seems closest to meeting your preferences. I use one with my Anderson Crowdster, which also has an on-board preamp.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 AM

Sorry but not easy for me. But yes it does do it all and the sounds are great.
Just so much to tweak and 90% of the presets are for metal guitar. I mean how many different overdrive/crunch sounds does one need???

Quote:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:44 AM

Wow. Thanks but I can't see myself spending $700 on an EQ box. But yes the suggestion is great. Also, I don't need a second preamp in the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Here’s a different thought - if you like the effects you have, then what you might consider is adding the EQ box. I know, yes another box ..... for me the “another box” Para EQ is the most important since it is shaping the tone .... My choice would be either a Grace Design Alix (if you only need the single channel) of its big brother, Felix. Yep $$ is involved but (for me) I want ultimate control over my tone and Grace Design delivers. Various boxes get replaced, upgraded, removed, but my Felix stays.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:50 AM

I've considered this route, but it can get quite costly having all separate pedals for all these:
reverb
compression
delay
chorus
EQ
boost

And then add to that my vocal pedal, Beat buddy, footswitch and you have a HUGE pedalboard. I'm trying to keep things compact. Looks like my only choice is adding a separate EQ pedal or getting an HX Stomp or equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Flyrig has semi parametric EQ. Your better off putting a pedalboard together. Put everything on it you want. Otherwise you’ll be forever chopping and changing multi effects pedals because all of them come with compromises.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Quote:
Sorry but not easy for me. But yes it does do it all and the sounds are great.
Just so much to tweak and 90% of the presets are for metal guitar. I mean how many different overdrive/crunch sounds does one need???
Sounds like this may be too much for you.
The stomp has its canned factory presets.
Like 128 of them IIRC. But it also has dozens
Of blank presets that you can build on yourself.
It's like chaining a pedalboard together.
I have several acoustic guitar presets built and saved one for mandolin one for bass
The guitar ones are basically an ir-comp- para eq- reverb-delay. Another might be the
Same but instead of delay I might have a chorus..or a tremelo..I have some I've built
With the amp models that make my taylor
Sound like clapton's strat.. (not like his talent)
But it's pretty limited only to ones imagination. And its not all you make it out
to be.Its really very intuitive. Otherwise I
Couldnt use it...ha.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:11 PM

Yes I'm familiar with the interface. I had the PodGo for a few days but returned it because I didn't realize how huge it was and was also a bit overwhelmed by it. I don't like spending days and days learning and setting up pedals. I'm a "Simple Kinda Man" like Skynyrd says

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Sounds like this may be too much for you.
The stomp has its canned factory presets.
Like 128 of them IIRC. But it also has dozens
Of blank presets that you can build on yourself.
It's like chaining a pedalboard together.
I have several acoustic guitar presets built and saved one for mandolin one for bass
The guitar ones are basically an ir-comp- para eq- reverb-delay. Another might be the
Same but instead of delay I might have a chorus..or a tremelo..I have some I've built
With the amp models that make my taylor
Sound like clapton's strat.. (not like his talent)
But it's pretty limited only to ones imagination. And its not all you make it out
to be.Its really very intuitive. Otherwise I
Couldnt use it...ha.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Yes I'm familiar with the interface. I had the PodGo for a few days but returned it because I didn't realize how huge it was and was also a bit overwhelmed by it. I don't like spending days and days learning and setting up pedals. I'm a "Simple Kinda Man" like Skynyrd says
Your right it does take a few hrs to figure it
Out. But once your there and your presets are built it's just pushing foot pedals after that.
The stomp is small..think 2 cellphones..and about 3 in tall.
Perhaps you just need a few fx that you like
At your feet to maintain the simple factor.
Strymon makes good ones..then a small pre
To send it all to the mixer.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

I don’t even touch the presets on the Stomp. I have one custom acoustic preset and one electric preset. Tweaking doesn’t have to be done. You can load a ‘simple EQ’ block and it’s the same as the EQ on an EQ pedal but you can go in and customize it if needed. It’s just a wonderful pedal and I think every guitarist should own one either as their main rig or as an add on device.

Not trying to tell you what to do but I truly believe this one device would solve 99% of your needs and make life easier in the long run.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:36 AM

It's a thought.

but no need for a mixer for my solo acoustic. Just a mic and a guitar. My powered speaker has (2) inputs so no real need for a mixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Your right it does take a few hrs to figure it
Out. But once your there and your presets are built it's just pushing foot pedals after that.
The stomp is small..think 2 cellphones..and about 3 in tall.
Perhaps you just need a few fx that you like
At your feet to maintain the simple factor.
Strymon makes good ones..then a small pre
To send it all to the mixer.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I don’t even touch the presets on the Stomp. I have one custom acoustic preset and one electric preset. Tweaking doesn’t have to be done. You can load a ‘simple EQ’ block and it’s the same as the EQ on an EQ pedal but you can go in and customize it if needed. It’s just a wonderful pedal and I think every guitarist should own one either as their main rig or as an add on device.

Not trying to tell you what to do but I truly believe this one device would solve 99% of your needs and make life easier in the long run.
Aaron I agree whole heartedly.
The stomp has transformed the way I play
Out.
I think JackB1 may have some misconceptions about the stomps complexity. I get this .. because I often have to ask my granddaughter to help me with my cell phone. Your younger and were brought up using this technology. I could help you use a rotary phone or a typewriter..lol.
Sounds like Jack has a real simple setup
And wants to keep it this way. Not sure how
To help him add a multi fx pedal ..
I've had so many and get the differences.
I used the ve8 for a bout 6 weeks and sold
It. Because the menus were buried and was
Just too difficult for this multi instrumentalist to use..
The band uses a touchmix mixer...I hate it.
I have a zed 10 for solo work and will take
An analog mixer over digital anyday.
The stomp cured that for me.
It is the simplest multi fx unit I know of.sans a pedal board ..I now have
Presets for mandolin ,octave mandolin,acoustic guitar, and several presets
For a more electric sound. I sold my pedal
Board which took up so much real estate on
Stage the band was complaining. Ha..
The new setup is on a board that is 12x12.
( I'd post a pic of it but I dont know how.)
Which is much smaller. I've added the morningstar mc6 midi controller to it as well.
Which saves me from having to bend over.
I've had this pedal board setup for about 2 years..which is a record for this tweaker.

Last edited by varmonter; 10-22-2020 at 09:44 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification