The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How often do you get GAS?
Every other day. 24 17.14%
Once a week. 8 5.71%
Once in 2 weeks. 3 2.14%
Once a month. 18 12.86%
Once in 2-3 months. 15 10.71%
Once in 4-6 months. 15 10.71%
Once in 7-12 months. 17 12.14%
Once in 13-24 months. 17 12.14%
Once in 25 months to 5 years. 11 7.86%
I never experience GAS. 12 8.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2020, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

I defined GAS as "serious" GAS and then put 7-12 months. The way I deal with it is:
1) buy something else music related (usually a lot cheaper) like a capo, new strings I've never tried before, guitar strap, microphone, percussion instrument, etc.
2) If one of my current guitars can use a mod, like tuners or pups than I'll do that. Obviously can only do this infrequently and only when it's a mod I'd thought about anyway.
3) A few times I satisfied GAS by selling a guitar I wasn't playing much and then "re-allocated" that cash into a new box.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:24 AM

Never. After getting a Martin HD-35 sight unseen, lol. Got it from Musician's Friend. I bought it in 2014 and it was a 2012. My 3rd or 4th Martin. Best ever.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:45 AM

At my age, in the current climate for live music, I'm more concerned with getting rid of guitars and gear than I am in acquiring any.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I would say every year or two these days. I love the guitars that I own and play so I am pretty satisfied. That said, I love guitars, I visit the Custom Shop section of the forum regularly, and I do (not as much since Covid) like to frequent guitar stores to sample the offerings. GAS has been pretty safe for me lately because usually now what I am gassing for is not is my budget.

Best,
Jayne
Me too! My gas is usually short lived because it develops from visiting my local store and playing something new. They have been closed and now semi-open from Covid, but there is no going in and just hanging out. I was a good enough customer that when the guitar manager saw me, he would take me to the warehouse to open boxes with new guitars that the Martin rep was receiving.

I try to sell one if I buy one, but have not been very good about it lately. I have bought 3 guitars in the last 2 years and have only sold one. With the 3 that I bought, my wife would also kill me if I even mentioned that I was interested in a new guitar. I am content right now and totally gas-less.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
This is pretty much me, as well. There’s a difference between having GAS and acting on it. The last guitar I bought without selling a current guitar was nearly 6 years ago. I have sold and traded a couple of guitars in the last couple of years, but always came out even, of even a little ahead on those deals. Like Jayne, I’m pretty happy with what I have!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
Me too! My gas is usually short lived because it develops from visiting my local store and playing something new. They have been closed and now semi-open from Covid, but there is no going in and just hanging out. I was a good enough customer that when the guitar manager saw me, he would take me to the warehouse to open boxes with new guitars that the Martin rep was receiving.

I try to sell one if I buy one, but have not been very good about it lately. I have bought 3 guitars in the last 2 years and have only sold one. With the 3 that I bought, my wife would also kill me if I even mentioned that I was interested in a new guitar. I am content right now and totally gas-less.
I usually go by the one in and one out rule as well. But, I also have one out there on consignment that I will probably lower the price on. It is such a wonderful guitar, I hate having it sit in a case or hang on a wall without being played regularly by someone who would appreciate it. I am currently down to my keeper guitars so no more one in and one out for me!

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 10-20-2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 10-20-2020, 10:06 AM

Personally guitars are just one of my obsessions, and they tend to cycle through every few years. Sometimes it's bicycles, or espresso equipment, sometimes it's vintage clothing, or razors, or tools, and sometimes it's guitars.

With all of them I've found that in spite of my desire to "have all the things!" once I get more than a few of said thing, it's no longer fulfilling. There is in fact a limit to how many of a thing I can reasonably use, and I have no interest in having things collecting dust on a shelf. I feel they should be used and if I'm not using them I will pass them on to someone who will. With some of the things I've managed this desire in the past by getting into buying and selling, that way I get to have all the nice things go through my hands, and I get to send them back out into the world to someone who hopefully will love them and use them more than me.

With guitars specifically they have always been too expensive to just buy all the ones I want. I do always keep my eyes peeled for interesting guitars at yard sales and thrift shops, but as I'm sure you're all aware it's extremely rare to find anything good that way. At certain points I have indulged in buying cheap guitars I could afford, but none of them have been particularly rewarding to play. Honestly they were a distraction and a waste of money. So I've mostly stopped doing that and try to scratch the itch with small affordable purchases on things like strings and accessories. I do keep going to guitar shops and playing affordable instruments hoping to find something to scratch the itch, maybe something small and affordable, but still nice sounding to use a a campfire/travel guitar but that sort of backfired on me. My 000-15 is so good for me, that most just cheap guitars don't seem worth buying, and a lot of expensive guitars also don't seem worth it especially given the high price. Not saying there aren't lots of really nice expensive guitars out there, but mostly I didn't feel like I needed any of them until I picked up a new 000-28 Standard. So for the last year I've been living with major GAS for a 000-28, and no amount of strings or cheap guitars are gonna scratch that itch.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I usually go by the one in and one out rule as well. But, I also have one out there on consignment that I will probably lower the price on. It is such a wonderful guitar, I hate having it sit in a case or hang on a wall without being played regularly by someone who would appreciate it. I am currently down to my keeper guitars so no more one in and one out for me!

Best,
Jayne
My wife has that rule about jackets and mugs as the closets and cupboards are jammed to overflowing, so if I'm looking at one she's like "which one are you going to get rid of?" That's probably coming for shoes soon too...
Old 10-20-2020, 10:25 AM

I usually talk myself out of it. I'm really GASing right now for a "campfire" guitar. I'm thinking of a Martin 000X2E or a Taylor 114E. I'm hoping for an NGD by Christmas. Anyway - GAS is a real thing to me. Being on AGF sure fans the flames - in a good way though. I appreciate all the info and camaraderie from you fine people.
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 10-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

One side benefit that I didn't expect from having a fractal axe fx is that they literally push new firmware every couple of weeks and it includes new amp models and new pedals etc so it feels a lot like a new gear day and gives me new things to play with and try.

Still hasn't stopped me from gassing to a degree though.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:04 AM

I'm content with the herd at this point. I've been semi-gassing for something in an 0 or 00 size for a couple years now, but the ones I've auditioned just don't have the tone I'm looking for.

I guess it helps that I haven't really been gigging for a couple years. If I could find some folks with whom to jam I'll bet the GAS would flood back again. I'll wait until they come out with a vaccine, however, before I start looking for a replacement jam.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 PM

My understanding of "GAS" here on AGF is a strong desire to get another guitar irrespective of current instruments or financial conditions. In that regard I've never had GAS.

I have had a desire for a specific type of instrument over the years - a 12 string, a gypsy jazz box, an archtop, a good bluegrass flattop, a resonator....

Well I have all those now, after researching, comparing, reading, trying different models, etc. None were impulsive "gotta have it now" purchases.

I still enjoy trying different guitars (and other instruments) and some are really magical., but I've never had anything really demand I take it home.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:

Best,
Jayne
I had a John Walker Ruby Elite on consignment for 7 or 8 months in the first part of the year. I cut the price several times. Because of Covid, it was almost totally dependent on an internet sale. The store where I had it was not all that good at handling Reverb or their website. I really liked the guitar. Finally picked it up, had a set-up done and wondered why I consigned it in the first place. I am down to my keeper guitars also. At least right now, I am GAS free.

Last edited by Jeff Mc; 10-20-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:32 PM

What I do is count / say the hundred dollar bills in my head. So if a guitar is $3,000 I say one hundred, two hundred, three hundred, four hundred, five hundred, six hundred, seven hundred, etc... until I get to 30. That makes me really realize how expensive it is! And as a result, I do not purchase something I don't really need.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 10-20-2020, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Yes, I should have added in “all the time”. I thought “every other day” was excessive already.
I’m with Wade.

Badly, in answer to the second part.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-21-2020, 03:54 PM

I haven’t had GAS since i got my D-18 almost four years ago. Coincidentally I also inherited an HD-28 around the same time but I haven’t been in a pawn shop since then and the only time I go into a guitar shop is if there just happens to be one nearby if I’m on a family trip and I want to kill some time.

We’ve had a new GC in town for a couple of years now and I went to it for the first time a couple of months ago only because my wife wanted to go to Hobby Lobby that’s next door.

I’ve realized that I like the guitars I have better than almost anything I could find in a guitar store.

OTOH, I have recently gotten back into mountain biking, and GAS is very real in that sport/hobby.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion