The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-24-2020, 08:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
I must have worn out my phone watching that video... I love it!

Good stuff Mike, looking forward to seeing the finished instrument

Ha! Yeah, we spent way too much time messing around with that on Friday. There's something about it that's both so ridiculous and fascinating at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Sort of a tonewrong device. Seriously, this is going to be one super looking guitar. What sort of finish are you planning? Infinite possibilities with maple.
Despite it's current clean-cut look, this one is going to end up dark and dirty! The idea is to have a dark brownish-hint-of-reddish stain with a slight two tone sunburst on the top. I've been experimenting with hand-rubbed bursts and staining the past couple of years and am really loving the worn in smokiness it gives. In my head I'm picturing an old violin so I'm going to go with a satin finish (UV Poly) but I've still got a week or so to make the shiny vs. satin decision! Opinions more than welcome!

That hint of red I'm looking for should come out more when the finish is applied, but here's a preview of what the color will look like...

instagram
Old 02-24-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
Despite it's current clean-cut look, this one is going to end up dark and dirty! The idea is to have a dark brownish-hint-of-reddish stain with a slight two tone sunburst on the top. I've been experimenting with hand-rubbed bursts and staining the past couple of years and am really loving the worn in smokiness it gives. In my head I'm picturing an old violin so I'm going to go with a satin finish (UV Poly) but I've still got a week or so to make the shiny vs. satin decision! Opinions more than welcome!

That hint of red I'm looking for should come out more when the finish is applied, but here's a preview of what the color will look like...

I totally approve of a dark and dirty hand-rubbed old violin vibe! Can't wait to see pics!
Old 02-29-2020, 10:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've just about finished up all the work on this one for the time being as it's speeding it's way out west to Vancouver for a UV Poly finish. This will be the fourth guitar I've used with this type of finish and I've been incredibly happy with the results so far. With this one heading to Berlin and La Conner to hopefully be played by a whole bunch of strangers, the extra durability versus french polish seems like the right call to me! As I mentioned I was going for a dark and worn in look for this one and went with a bit more brown than some other recent stain jobs and I'm soooo excited to see it under finish!

I debated for a while about whether or not to do any type of sunburst on the top and decided to go for a simple two-tone burst.

I really really love the cloud-like feel of these hand-rubbed bursts. In my mind an airbrushed burst feels linear with the colors transitioning in a consistent direction along the surface of the top. The hand rubbed burst feels more like overlapping wispy layers and adds a third dimension into the mix. Here's an example of one with finish to hopefully give an idea what I'm talking about...

As I mentioned before this one has an adjustable neck. The bolt sticking out of the neck threads into the empty insert in the picture below while the neck itself rests on the rounded pivot...

Once I get this one back in a month or so I'm really looking forward to recording a couple of demo videos with it and my other Holy Grail / La Conner guitar. There's a local Montreal musician, Clerel, that is just phenomenal and I'm thrilled that he wants to record a few songs (and perform in the shop sometime May). He came by this week and here's a quick cell phone recording of one of his songs (not fancy guitar work but what a voice!)...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8_5awZ..._web_copy_link

Thanks for looking everyone!
instagram
Old 02-29-2020, 06:20 PM

I love these bursts - there’s something really beautiful in that old school style. Can’t wait to see what this looks like under finish - that other one just popped under finish!
Old 02-29-2020, 07:35 PM

The burst looks fantastic. Did you decide to go with a satin or shiny finish?
Old 02-29-2020, 09:14 PM

Oh...wow. just wow.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
I love these bursts - there’s something really beautiful in that old school style. Can’t wait to see what this looks like under finish - that other one just popped under finish!

When I did my first hand-rubbed burst I remember walking into the shop the next day and seeing the guitar hanging by my bench across the room. I had an immediate and strong reaction of, "Ohhhh, now THAT'S a guitar!" Kind of like it checked all of my own internal boxes for the idealized form of a guitar -- not that it's what I think every guitar should look like, but something about it makes them extra guitar-y if that makes any sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
The burst looks fantastic. Did you decide to go with a satin or shiny finish?

Thanks! I decided to go satin -- it seems like the right call for the feel of this guitar. I want a worn in and intimate vibe with no pretension. It's not an art object admired at a distance but more like an old friend. Maybe I'm reading into the shiny-ness of a finish a bit more than necessary but, well, it's kind of fun thinking about this stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Oh...wow. just wow.

Thanks! Now it's just a waiting game for a few weeks...
instagram
Old 03-01-2020, 09:51 AM

I get what you are saying, but then again, there is something about that shiny new look trapping the worn look underneath like this one that you pictured...I think this looks incredible too!!!

indian hill.jpg
Old 03-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHillMike View Post
When I did my first hand-rubbed burst I remember walking into the shop the next day and seeing the guitar hanging by my bench across the room. I had an immediate and strong reaction of, "Ohhhh, now THAT'S a guitar!" Kind of like it checked all of my own internal boxes for the idealized form of a guitar -- not that it's what I think every guitar should look like, but something about it makes them extra guitar-y if that makes any sense!

Thanks! I decided to go satin -- it seems like the right call for the feel of this guitar. I want a worn in and intimate vibe with no pretension. It's not an art object admired at a distance but more like an old friend. Maybe I'm reading into the shiny-ness of a finish a bit more than necessary but, well, it's kind of fun thinking about this stuff!

Thanks! Now it's just a waiting game for a few weeks...
While I agree with Tom that glossy would look great too, my sunburst Collings Julian Lage is really elegant and understated. Something nice about the subtle satin finish and I think it’s probably going to be quite beautiful here
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but then again, there is something about that shiny new look trapping the worn look underneath like this one that you pictured...I think this looks incredible too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettWilliams View Post
While I agree with Tom that glossy would look great too, my sunburst Collings Julian Lage is really elegant and understated. Something nice about the subtle satin finish and I think it’s probably going to be quite beautiful here

Well... I think the only reasonable solution is I'll just have to build a couple more and we can all decide then!
instagram
Old 10-08-2020, 09:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

With all of the luthier shows cancelled for the year, this build was bumped down on the priorities list but I've slowly been picking away at it over the months and am finally ready to call it done! I can't tell you all just how much I absolutely LOVE these f-hole guitars. Sonically this sits in a completely unique area -- truly a mix between flat-top and archtop. The notes are incredibly even up, down, and across the board as if the quality of the notes doesn't seem to change, just the pitch. There's a directness and compactness to the tone -- it's rich but in a more focused range than a standard steel string. I'm hoping to get some audio recorded this weekend so you can all get an idea of what I'm talking about!

Aesthetically I was going for a dark, dirty, worn-in-old-violin look and couldn't be happier with how it came out...

In planning to keep with the violin-ish vibe I knew I should have a floating fingerboard extension and figured I might as well go all out and make it adjustable as well! It's been probably over 10 years since I've built and adjustable neck and I gotta say, I have a strong feeling it won't be another 10 years before I do it again!

It's very quick and easy to do the neck adjustment with two access holes in the heel. Using an allen key, you first "unlock" the system with a turn or two in the hole closer to the back, stick the allen key in the other hole to raise or lower the action, then re-lock the system once adjusted...

Since this was destined for shows that didn't happen, it is of course now for sale! Send me a message with any questions and thanks for looking!

Mike
instagram
Old 10-16-2020, 09:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

I was finally able to record a quick n' dirty demo for this guitar talking about some of the features and playing a couple of different snippets...

And as an addendum, I meant to say a "hand-rubbed stain", the finish is a satin UV Polyester.
instagram
Old 10-16-2020, 09:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

I was finally able to record a quick n' dirty demo for this guitar talking about some of the features and playing a couple of different snippets...

And as an addendum, I meant to say a "hand-rubbed stain", the finish is a satin UV Polyester.
instagram
Old 10-16-2020, 08:13 PM

Thanks for that great video Mike. That is a really interesting guitar for sure. I was mostly shocked by how good it sounded when finger picked on that Leo Kottke song. I did not expect that at all. Great "experiment"!!!!
Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for that great video Mike. That is a really interesting guitar for sure. I was mostly shocked by how good it sounded when finger picked on that Leo Kottke song. I did not expect that at all. Great "experiment"!!!!
Thanks! I tend towards flatpicking and snappy fingerstyle on this guitar but it's pretty easy to coax some sweetness out of it as well!
instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop