The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-30-2018, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Default YouTube Videos

Hi folks,

Last night my Silly Moustache YouTube channel reached over 75000 hits !!

That's something of a milestone for me, and I think that this is largely due to the interest of you kind folks.

Whilst I've made a number of videos to try to advise and assist folk, most are simply songs that are (or were) in my solo, trio or bluegrass band repertoire.

I'm a Limey through and through but as you can see from my material, my musical heart is in the USA - Texas singer-songwriters, Appalachian, Mississippi, and of course Kentucky and .... well anywhere that produces great acoustic music which probably includes about 52 states (ogh and some great influences from British Columbia - The Romeros.

My method of making these videos is radically low tech - Zoom video cameras - a Q3, then a Q2 (progress?) and currently a Q4. (complete with barrel distortion) . I do no editing as is probably obvious, but through this forum, I have made many friends, hopefully helped some and found an audience in my small conservatory far larger than I've EVER had in "real life" !

I'm aware that my recent illness (for which I've also had a great deal of support and encouragement on this forum) has changed my speaking voice as my pallet has been deformed by the radio therapy and later complications so I now have a
pronounced limp (pronounced limp - thanks Spike Milligan) but I hope you can understand most of my mutterings.

Now, perhaps - you can help me get to 100,000!
It's all vanity of course, no monetary aspect at all.

If there is any other point or aspect that you'd like me to make a video about then please advise me. (I'm running out of songs!)

So ....well I just wanted to say thanks for watching.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:05 AM

Hi Andy, congratulations on this milestone.

I very much enjoy your vids, I think I have watched all of them at least once, (I don’t think me looking at them again clocks up another hit ).

I have shown a couple of ‘em to player pals and if they say “who’s this then ?” I tell them that it’s an old mate of mine.

A liberty I know, as we have never met in person, but I feel I know you quite well from our several years of acquaintance here.

Keep ‘em coming, I particularly relish the suspense of thinking you might spill the glass of water on to the settee in the newer ones !

Cheers , mate , Jon.

EDIT. Re: Ideas for new ones, you could maybe TEACH us some of those tasty l’il’ licks you do.
Your stuff sometimes seems deceptively simple, but I have proved it not so when attempting them myself !

Last edited by Long Jon; 01-30-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Andy. I enjoy your videos.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:30 AM

Congratulations. I've recently come across your youtube channel and very much enjoyed it.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:02 PM

Hey Silly - I didn't know you had a channel. I'll give it a look over the next couple of days.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:04 PM

Great job - keep them coming! My request is hanging your life on the wall by Guy Clarke....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 AM

It's no surprise you reached 75,000. Many times I've clicked on a featured video only to find myself looking though loads more.

People click on them because they are good.

YouTube
Old 01-31-2018, 06:45 PM

Congrats Andy. I’ve watched a few of them myself. Good stuff! I’m not surprised that you have a big following.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Another milestone passed !

My humble YouTube Channel which I started in July 2012.
I used a Zoom Q3 and simply switched it on and sat in my conservatory (a small sunroom extension to my house), and sung some basic songs.

I have never edited or enhanced the sound - it was just a bit of fun to document some of my songs - partially to remind the chaps in my band.

Over time I've added more songs, and also added some videos to try to answer questions and give some advice - the first one being about my string changing methods for slotted headstocks an issue that seemed to cause some concern here on this forum.

In 2014 I did a rather shaky description of my preference for equipment in my guitar cases - straps, pick boxes with capo tuners all kept together, small emergency tools and beer towel etc.

In 2016 I did an improved restringing video which has proven very successful and is now usually with the top five most popular.

I've done more than one video about my pick preferences - another subject that comes up regularly on this and other fora.

In early 2017 after being told that I had throat cancer, I arranged to have some videos made with my trio - Bob and Ian.

This one seems to have been the most popular :

... and this the least but still got a good few hits :

I also put up a few solo pieces until 19th March - a cover of Northbound 35 - by Jeffery Foucault a song that always reminds me of my first journey from Dallas to Austin on the I-35.

Shortly after that my treatment started and I became unable to sing and not in any condition to be seen.

Thanks ground to a halt until October last year when it was still difficult to talk but less painful.

I got my self an old Harmony on ebay and had to show it off :

More recently I've put up some more songs with my "new" voice, and a piece about how Dobros are used on films and documatariesc every tmie they show some desert land:

I answered a number of requests about my picking style (which I thought was pretty average) -

and a chatty video about why I prefer 12 fretters has gone thruogh the roof with thousands of hits :

On the 30th January I sent a note thanks folks for my channel getting 75000 hits.

Last night my subscribers went over 500 and my hits topped 100,000. Even my wife was impressed!

When I got up this morning the numbers were 512 subs and 103 thousand hits !

There are about 140 videos on the channel - the simple Zoom camera has been upgraded but still no editing or sound processing. So, if you have been watching - thank you.

If not - you'd be most welcome to do so.

Thanks, Ol' Andy
Old 02-11-2018, 08:19 AM

I've watched many of them myself Andy and have always admired your skills.
Congrats on the milestone (well deserved) and thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi Andy,

Congratulations on the success of your YouTube channel. You have done a good job! It's no small thing to have reached 75,000 views! In fact, your channel tells me you have over 103,000 views, which is even more impressive. Plus you have 526 subscribers, which shows that a lot of people are interested in what you have to offer.

My hat is off to you!

- Glenn
Old 02-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Congrats! If you were here in the States, I'd suggest you doing your videos topless while you had a Tide Pod in your mouth.

They are all wonderful. You have a lot to be proud of.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:00 PM

Congrats Andy. It's good stuff. Here and Gone is still my favorite.
Guild F-1512
Epiphone ES-339
Fender Stratocaster
Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Well done Andy, I enjoy your videos

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 02-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
Congrats! If you were here in the States, I'd suggest you doing your videos topless while you had a Tide Pod in your mouth.

They are all wonderful. You have a lot to be proud of.
I have no idea what that means but thanks ... I think (?)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell