The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 01-16-2021, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Fairbanks F-40 / sold

**sold on Reverb**

This is a tough one to list for sale, but I bought too many guitars in 2020 and need to slim things down. So: single-owner Fairbanks F-40, about a year old, with torrefied red spruce top, torrefied maple back and sides, red spruce unscalloped bracing. Honduras mahogany neck and madi rosewood bridge and fingerboard. MOP parallelogram fretboard inlay and ivoroid binding on body and neck. All the good stuff.

The spec sheet lists the nut width at 1.75"-- with my calipers (not digital) I'm getting 1.741". String spacing at the bridge is 2.2". The neck is .87" deep at the first fret and .91" deep at the ninth--full, but not overwhelming.

The guitar is very lightly built and weighs in at 3 lb 13oz. Given that it isn't a small guitar, it's always a surprise to pick it up! I use light strings on it (currently D'Addario nickel bronze), and it works beautifully with them. (I once put on mediums for about five minutes--it seemed a lot less responsive.)

There's some very modest wear if you look at the guitar in the right light and at the right angle--a few pencil tip-sized indentations, and an area on the back lower bout with some light scratching (possible encounter with a shirt button). Given the blinding iridescence of the torrefied maple, you do have to make an effort to see these things, but I always like to give a full account.

As for sound and playability, it's stellar all around and super versatile. I bought the guitar thinking it would be a great strummer--it is, but it responds beautifully to bare fingers, too, and has a pleasing but well controlled natural reverb that is intoxicating. The bass, of course, is satisfyingly thumpy, but not at the expense of the other registers--this guitar has really been dialed in as a finely balanced instrument.

What else? Comes with a lovely Harptone case, also in very good condition. $4000 includes shipping to CONUS. Flexible on payment methods, but fees are not included in my price. Can't do trades right now. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by rpd; 01-24-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful. Good luck with your sale.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Terrific seller with a great ear for excellent tone. Someone should be very happy with this one!
Old 01-17-2021, 09:15 AM

What a great looking guitar from a great builder!
Old 01-17-2021, 11:28 AM

That’s a beauty!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, folks! All PMs have been responded to-- please let me know if you have questions, always happy to talk guitars.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Happy weekend! Now on reverb: https://rvrb.io/2020-f40-9betqp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars