The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 09:48 PM

Default Getting acquainted with the Guild D-55

Ordinarily, information like this would go in the NGD post, but I made that into a contest and now it's kind of become only that. So, sorry to open a new thread for the same NGD, but I guess I needed to.

Anyway. A D-55 is expensive, not in the same stratospheric range as the custom jobs some of you guys get (and what the heck do you do for a living that you can afford them?), but still darn pricey. It's not that I can't afford it, but I was fighting the feeling that I didn't deserve a guitar of that caliber and cost. (I'll come back to this point later.) For that much money, I wanted to be darn sure it played well for me, so in spite of the fact that I could have had free shipping, I drove to Sweetwater instead to audition it - three and a half hours each way.

Sweetwater knew I was coming (I had placed the order months previously) and had the guitar out on a stand at the front desk, which was nice of them. They took me and my wife to a little private room to audition it. So I played it for a while and tried to get a feel for it, while my wife looked on expressionlessly and offered not much in the way of opinion. The neck felt comfortable enough, and as far as I could tell in that little room it sounded nice, especially when fingerpicking, so I took it home.

But when I got it home I was literally afraid to play it.

All the doubts I mentioned earlier about not deserving an expensive guitar had resurfaced, mixed with uncertainty. Was it worth the money? Or did I make a mistake? I brought it home Sunday night and didn't play it until today because I had this irrational fear of finding out I didn't like it after all. And when I did get it out, I just played a bit of a song and put it back in the case. It wasn't until this evening, when my wife was home, that I really started to play it.

Fortunately my wife is my biggest fan, and as I tried it out on the songs she knows best, she explained to me that her behavior at Sweetwater was her way of trying not to bias my decision. Actually she loved it as soon as she saw it, and says it is a good balance for my voice, particularly on folkier material. And it does work for me. It turns out I had nothing to be worried about. I'm reasonably sure I gave my lifetime best performance of "City of New Orleans" this evening, and my wife agrees.

It's still a heckuva big purchase for me, but I'm thinking it's a keeper. I do still want to try 13s on it though. But that can wait.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:10 PM

An absolutely superb guitar and as the new owner of a Gibson SJ-200 I can relate to a lot of how you felt and what you've experienced.

But I'm happy to say the more I play it the better I feel about it.

2 days ago I decided to make a copy of the original bone saddle and drop the height a little on the 4,5 and 6 side then lower the whole thing just a touch.

Can't tell you how nervous I was but it went super smoothly - being an uncompensated saddle actually made it pretty easy to copy - playability now is even better, loving it.

I don't know why you'd want to go to .013's when the factory spec strings are .012's but that's entirely up to you.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-13-2021, 11:21 PM

Congrats on a great guitar!
Old 04-14-2021, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

I get your feelings you have with your new Guild. I was that way when I decided to splurge on a 00-15m Martin last fall - I felt I was not worthy, and why did I sink money into it? However, it has in fact inspired me, and honestly, when I was 16, this size and or model is what I should have had from the start Good luck getting acquainted with your new Guild.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
A D-55 is expensive, not in the same stratospheric range as the custom jobs some of you guys get (and what the heck do you do for a living that you can afford them?)
Your guild is in the same price bracket as my hummingbird, but I'll answer anyway;

Not making money from my musical talents that's for sure! I'm a company CTO.

Funnily enough, I worked in IT but was really into photography, so quit IT, started a photography business, and ran that for a few years before getting sick of it (/being poor) and went back to IT. I could afford much nicer cameras before and after being a photographer than I could during until you get to the mega-star level in any artistic pursuit, I think generally, enthusiastic hobbyists have nicer gears than pro's.

As for deserving an expensive guitar.... I deserve an expensive guitar because I put myself through college and got a good job. I have a cheap car (my car cost less than my guitar - it was 10 years old when I bought it) because I couldn't care less about the price of what I drive, and my children mash chocolate and juice into the seats, but if I were to think about buying an expensive car, I wouldn't be thinking "am I a good enough driver to justify it?". If you've earned the money you deserve whatever you choose to spend it on, end of story.

I don't wonder if I'm good enough at chewing to justify ordering expensive food, and if I were buying an expensive sofa I wouldn't be thinking "am I good enough at sitting on my backside?". Actually, the answer to that would be yes, so I guess I deserve an expensive sofa either way, but you get my point. Just enjoy the guitar. If you didn't have to steal it, you deserve it.

I do know what you're going through; when I first got my hummingbird I was almost scared to touch it in case I damaged it - I almost regretted buying it at one because it was so 'precious' and I spent more time worrying about it than enjoying it. Then I realized how silly that was. I'm still careful with it, but at least I can enjoy it more freely now.

Also, to put your purchase into context, the average American 25-34 year old spends $2,008 a year on coffee. (https://sprudge.com/how-much-do-you-...ar-136082.html)

As for 13's, I wouldn't want them on that scale length - that's some seriously high tension, but up to you.

Last edited by RalphH; 04-14-2021 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:00 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on a fine guitar! Can't beat a Guild.

I'm still getting to know mine. I put Elixir PB .12s on it, and they sound very, very good.

I don't usually care for blingy guitars, but it all seems to work on the D-55. Very classy looking instrument.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:49 AM

Congrats on a superb guitar.
Well I imagine it´s superb

Here in Sweden US-made Guilds are few and far between and I have only tried out a D-40 and really liked it - should have bought it.

I know what you´ve been through.
I had a new Martin D-28 for a year, but couldn´t keep it.
I was to careful with this, for me, expensive instrument and so...
I was not worthy.
It´s all in your head...

But I believe you are worth it!

Lars

Last edited by dyna; 04-14-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 AM

You absolutely deserve it. Think of all the thousands of hours you’ve put in over the years, learning to play and refining what you do, of all the pleasure you’ve given to others who have heard you play, and all of the hard work you’ve put in to be in a position to afford your D55.

We as human beings spend so much of our life in service to others, be it employers, colleagues, friends, partners, children, bandmates and a million others. We are burdened by a societal sense of duty to others and necessary sacrifice of self, part of which is required to be a decent person, but a bigger part is driven by an ingrained sense of guilt for giving oneself joy. We are taught from an early age that the spirit of endeavour should always be in provision for others, and not for any form of self reward.

These societal tropes are so wearisome and overstated in all of us. You worked hard to learn and you worked hard to earn, you don’t just deserve your D55, you owe it to yourself!

Enjoy it in good health, and play the snot out of it!!
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 AM

Sounds like a wonderful guitar. Great choice! Good for you, and yes, you absolutely deserve it.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the D-55...it's a great guitar and yes...everyone deserves a nice guitar! Regarding 13's...I have three dreads that I use 12's on (one is a 12 fret Martin Adi/EIR) just because they seem to like 12's more. They don't "need" 13's and they seem to choke them down some. My other dreads use 13's however. Try a set if you feel led to and you'll know pretty quickly if it's right for that particular guitar or not.
Other than that enjoy that new Guild...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-14-2021, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new Guild!

However ...

The real gem in this story is your wife! It's nice that she has such a keen interest in your playing and the sound of your guitar.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2021, 07:04 AM

Nice, if you don't want it I'll take it lol

I felt similar when I was gifted my Guild D40 Traditional, costs a couple grand less than a D55 and I still felt I wasn't worthy because I'm really not a very good player, and all I do is play in my living room, I love it. I didn't need it, but I definitely enjoy it. I need a good setup still to make it play a little easier.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:26 AM

Good job! I'm in the camp that believes owning a really nice guitar inspires you to play your best and strive to improve even more. Play your new Guild in good health!
Old 04-14-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The real gem in this story is your wife! It's nice that she has such a keen interest in your playing and the sound of your guitar.
Yeah, I'm a lucky guy. She was actually intending to purchase it for me that day, as my birthday is coming up, but I handed them my credit card before she had a chance to.

There's a story there. We knew each other as teenagers and then had a long time out of touch before reconnecting in late middle age. She remembered me back then being dirt poor and banging away on my little student Yamaha guitar. When we reconnected, and I got out the Taylor in her presence for the first time, I remember the "wow, you learned to play!" look on her face. So I sang her "I Will Follow You Into the Dark," and since then she's been super supportive and encouraging. I'd never have started to play out if it wasn't for her.

She thinks the Guild was worth the money. How many of us can say our wives are more on board with buying high-dollar guitars than we ourselves are?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM

I met my wife in 9th grade, we've been together everyday since.

She knew what she was getting into, I've been playing guitar all my life, and was well on my way when we met. she's been very supportive of the purchases and what not. And I would never have bought something I could not afford.

Since then, we've soldiered on, and I've made a pretty decent part time job out of playing and teaching. But I've had a 40+ year career in IT, still doing so, but I'm nearing the time when I think I can pull the plug. We'll see.

if you can afford it, and you like, your hands like it, your ears like it, then it would seem to me that you done good. No such thing as "I don't deserve it" sure you do.

Enjoy every note!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion