The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 02:46 PM

Default D'addario EJ vs XT vs EXP vs XS thoughts

Howdy all,

Newish guy here... been a lurker for years... I know there are tons of these threads, but I wanted to start a thread for people to comment/compare on some of the newer D'addario strings options and maybe help out some who are trying to figure out their new strings.

I just received several sets of the brand new XS's, and just pulled off 2 sets of XTs, and have used EXPs and EJs for years and wanted to add some comments to maybe help out some who are looking.

EJs: One of the gold standard uncoated strings... I've used em for years here and there and they were my primary string for maybe 5 or 6 years. Great string, cheap, zingy and can be a little metallic at first install, mellow out and sound pretty consistent for me for maybe a month or so and then get pretty dull... by 4-6 weeks I'm usually ready to change them. Kind of my "baseline" string.

New XT's: I just had 2 sets of these on my D-18 and HD-35... I liked them quite a bit. I installed them the same day and changed same day. Guitars sounded very similar with only minor difference for a week or so... then the strings sorta let the "wood" shine through a bit more then the strings. They were mellower upon install the the EJs, less "zing" and metallic attack. They settle in and then don't go as dull as the EJs near as fast... after a week or so I had thought they would go to dull for me too soon... but after that 1-2 week period, they just sorta hang out at that point for like a month+. I had them on both guitars for 6 weeks and I quite enjoyed them... they went through 4 different gigs, 4 practices, and maybe 20 hours or so of home/fun play time in those 6 weeks. I don't feel like they needed to be changed, but I was anxious to try the new XS strings... would have maybe left them another 2 weeks or so. I would say on average 8-10 weeks depending on how dark you want them to go seems reasonable. I will note that tuning stability and intonation was excellent the whole time... the EJ's I start to notice some instabilities towards the end of their life. Feel like an uncoated string I would say. I had "black" fingers pretty much the entire life of the string FWIW.

EXPs: Another standard string, this one is coated. similar to the EJ's, has been an old standby of mine for awhile. I like them... they are slicker feeling then the EJs, mellower on install, last a bit longer and retain the high end a little longer, but IME they will go dull.... then just up and die fairly quickly sometimes. A good string... I can usually go 8-10 weeks on a set... maybe a little longer...

XS's: New kid on the block for D'addario. These are coated as a complete string vs the XT which I believe is the wire coated and then formed into a string. I installed a set today on my HD35 and I also installed a fresh set of EXPs on my 18 today as well. My goal is to compare long term tone/durability/intonation/stability with the EXPs as they seem to be aimed as the replacement. I only have initial impressions, but want to circle back to this thread down the road and have others chime in... they are spendy, but right out of the gate I like them more then the EXPs. Granted, they are different guitars, but when I installed XTs on both the 18 and 35, they were more similar in tone for a week or so then the XS and the EXP are out of the gate if that makes sense. The XS, compared to the EXP, has a little more high end. The EXP's give the impression of more bass, but I actually think that they have slightly duller highs... the XS seems to have more high end projection, which sorta makes it sound like less bass... but I think it's actually just more even if that makes sense. The XS just sound a little bigger then the EXPs. Feel is very similar to the EXPs. No black fingers yet. Time will tell if they will be worth it... I'm going to try and milk as much as I can out of these 2 sets... I want to see how much (if any) extra life the XS will buy you as they do cost more. I believe I like them more then Elixer at this point, but I haven't had any Elixers on a dread in awhile... so I may compare those more directly in the future.

All that to say, so far, I prefer the XT and XS to the EJ and EXP counterparts. We will see on long term use if they are worth the cost upgrade.

Feel free to chime in with any experiences.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:31 PM

Late welcome! Thanks for the comparison. I recently just swapped to EJ16 as main. I change strings weekly, so I won't need coated or lasting strings. Do you think EJ is good enough for someone who swaps strings as frequently as I do?
Old 04-13-2021, 03:46 PM

For sure yea - they are a great string!

Just curious... why weekly changes? You playing that much or body chemistry? Have you played with 80/20s to keep that super bright sound a little longer then new PBs?
Old 04-13-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Riley View Post
For sure yea - they are a great string!

Just curious... why weekly changes? You playing that much or body chemistry? Have you played with 80/20s to keep that super bright sound a little longer then new PBs?
I'm addicted to changing strings, it feels good to do so for some reason. It does burn a big hole in my wallet too despite being EJ. If I were rich, I'd swap out EXP or XS each week instead lol. A lot of people prefer PB over 80/20's, which is why I use PB. Maybe I'll slap on 80/20's next to see if I, myself like it better rather relying on other people to test it for me lol.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:42 PM

nice review, Dean. i pretty much only use Elixir and D'Addario strings (i tried Gibson masterbilt once a year ago) and just put on the XS on one of my guitars as i prefer the coated feel (less string noise and less harsh on my fingers). in comparison to Elixir nanoweb PB i would say the XS is pretty close but still lacks the high end my ears have become accustomed to with the Elixirs. it's only been a week so the verdict is still pending on longevity and change in tone over time but i would say i slightly prefer Elixirs still but the XS comes much closer than the EXPs ever did. my one and only experience with XT PB was not good and i will not try those again. If the XS comes down in price significantly i could definitely live with them but not now when Elixirs are cheaper. just my two cents!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:53 PM

Good review! EJs have always been one of my baseline strings. I seldom use coated strings, because my body chemistry is such that regular strings last me a long time. Right now I have a set of XTs on my Martin OMCPA4, and it's never sounded better, even after seven weeks. I'm definitely going to try them on some of my other guitars.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review.

I have an email from D'Addario saying that the XT is (tho' perhaps *was*?) a replacement for the EXPs, which would disappear when all stock was depleted. I bought a bunch of EXPs in response. They do not last as well as the Martin Lifespan for me, but I prefer the balance on the guitar that came with those from the factory. And, TBH, deader (but not "false") strings do not objectively degrade my playing .

In any case, I'm still a few months out from needing to try these new strings, but hope the XTs work as well or better on my guitar.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:50 AM

I have had all of these except the new XSes on my Taylor. Right now I have the XTs on it, and I have one more set of XTs on the shelf. Obviously it's a Taylor so I have had PB Elixirs on it a lot of the time as well.

Part of me thinks the XTs are both zingier and have more finger noise & pick noise than the older coated strings. My initial impressions were great though, and they are definitely lasting a really long time. They feel less slimy/slippery than Elixirs.

It is hard for me to say though, it's certainly not a scientific observation.

My guitar is bright, I don't really want bright strings, 80/20 is way too bright on my guitar. But what I would really like is to minimize the pick noises when strumming if there is any way string choice can effect that.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
nice review, Dean. i pretty much only use Elixir and D'Addario strings (i tried Gibson masterbilt once a year ago) and just put on the XS on one of my guitars as i prefer the coated feel (less string noise and less harsh on my fingers). in comparison to Elixir nanoweb PB i would say the XS is pretty close but still lacks the high end my ears have become accustomed to with the Elixirs. it's only been a week so the verdict is still pending on longevity and change in tone over time but i would say i slightly prefer Elixirs still but the XS comes much closer than the EXPs ever did. my one and only experience with XT PB was not good and i will not try those again. If the XS comes down in price significantly i could definitely live with them but not now when Elixirs are cheaper. just my two cents!
Good thoughts! I'm curious to hear your long term results... I have only used Elixers on Taylors... Yea the XS is gonna need to have similar life to elixers to be worth it long term I think
Old 04-14-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Thanks for the review.

I have an email from D'Addario saying that the XT is (tho' perhaps *was*?) a replacement for the EXPs, which would disappear when all stock was depleted. I bought a bunch of EXPs in response. They do not last as well as the Martin Lifespan for me, but I prefer the balance on the guitar that came with those from the factory. And, TBH, deader (but not "false") strings do not objectively degrade my playing .

In any case, I'm still a few months out from needing to try these new strings, but hope the XTs work as well or better on my guitar.
Yea - I do think the XS is closer especially in feel to the EXP... I play with a guy that loves EXPs and he really disliked the feel of the XTs... FWIW. I kind of don't care about the feel as much as some maybe.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
I have had all of these except the new XSes on my Taylor. Right now I have the XTs on it, and I have one more set of XTs on the shelf. Obviously it's a Taylor so I have had PB Elixirs on it a lot of the time as well.

Part of me thinks the XTs are both zingier and have more finger noise & pick noise than the older coated strings. My initial impressions were great though, and they are definitely lasting a really long time. They feel less slimy/slippery than Elixirs.

It is hard for me to say though, it's certainly not a scientific observation.

My guitar is bright, I don't really want bright strings, 80/20 is way too bright on my guitar. But what I would really like is to minimize the pick noises when strumming if there is any way string choice can effect that.
I agree - the XTs do have a bit more noise then a fully coated string... I think its friction from the wraps I'm guessing. I agree too they are a bit zingier then the EXPs... the XS is also zingier then the EXPs and makes them feel slightly muted by comparison. A fully coated string should minimize the string nose... Polyweb/EXP...nanoweb/XS...... XT......EJ would be the order I would recommend for minimizing string noise.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:40 PM

I got a free set of XT’s from Daddario quite a while ago. I just got around to putting them on my Larrivee D09 Brazilian. They sound pretty good to me, less string nose than EXP’s, not as quiet as Elixir Nano. I have always preferred the tone of Daddario but they don’t come close to lasting as long as Elixirs. I have a bunch of EXP17’s along with some Elixir Nanos mediums so I don’t see myself switching to XT’s unless I find they last longer.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-05-2024, 07:40 PM

Default Which coated strings most reduce brightness?

I have a lovely and expensive Avalon acoustic that is just too bright for me. I have only today considered that perhaps coated strings will reduce the brightness. Which coated strings would best accomplish that?
Old 01-05-2024, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
If the XS comes down in price significantly i could definitely live with them but not now when Elixirs are cheaper. just my two cents!
If you buy the 3 pack it's basically buy two get one free. I think it works out to be $12 per set.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoFelix View Post
I have a lovely and expensive Avalon acoustic that is just too bright for me. I have only today considered that perhaps coated strings will reduce the brightness. Which coated strings would best accomplish that?
The original Elixir poly web strings are pretty mellow…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion