The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
The vendor I asked about this said the necks are same as the authentic they’re based on. If that’s true, that’s probably the thing that’s preventing me from order the D-28. If you’re in the market for a D-18 though, that authentic neck is much nicer, if you like a more typical full neck with a smooth even taper.
Very disappointed to hear this if true. The D-28A 1937 neck is a disaster. If they would just use the neck of the D-18A 1937 for the new D-28s and the neck of the 000-18A 1937 for the 000 and OMs, it would be perfect.

IMO, the D-18A 1937 and 000-18A 1937 C to V shaped necks were the best Martin ever carved in the modern era... and although they are bigger/thicker than some prefer, at least they were fairly EVEN depth-wise throughout the entire length of the neck. Not distracting like the super thin to super thick D-28A 1937 neck.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-11-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Very disappointed to hear this if true. The D-28A 1937 neck is a disaster. If they would just use the neck of the D-18A 1937 for the new D-28s and the neck of the 000-18A 1937 for the 000 and OMs, it would be perfect.

IMO, the D-18A 1937 and 000-18A 1937 C to V shaped necks were the best Martin ever carved in the modern era... and although they are bigger/thicker than some prefer, at least they were fairly EVEN depth-wise throughout the entire length of the neck. Not distracting like the super thin to super thick D-28A 1937 neck.
I agree with you on all points.

No one's held one of these in hand yet. The naive part of me is hoping that vendor was wrong when he told me the D-28 "expert" would have the D-28 Authentic '37 neck.

The first question I had for that vendor was: "What neck did they put on the D-28 expert?" His response, almost exactly quoted was, "These guitars are based off the Authentics, so each model with have the neck that was on the Authentic it was based on. So the D-28 will have the Authentic 1937 D-28 neck."

As others start to call other vendors and get these in hand, please report back here to corroborate the Truth on this report!
Old 04-11-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Just what I want, an Authentic that is not so authentic as the Authentic that is not so authentic.

Just for you, a model A Ford, just like 1032, except for the overhead cam fuel injected engine, six speed automatic and independant suspention. Oh, you can have it in any of these thirteen colors.

It might be just what you want though. No harm making whatever people will buy and using any marketing you have to sell them. I might buy a D 18 if it had a 1 11/16 neck, but I don't expect Martin to build it for me. Remember, they are the ones getting the e mails and talking to dealers. You might feel disenfranchised if your tastes are not in the mainstream.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-11-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Just what I want, an Authentic that is not so authentic as the Authentic that is not so authentic.

Just for you, a model A Ford, just like 1032, except for the overhead cam fuel injected engine, six speed automatic and independant suspention. Oh, you can have it in any of these thirteen colors.

It might be just what you want though. No harm making whatever people will buy and using any marketing you have to sell them. I might buy a D 18 if it had a 1 11/16 neck, but I don't expect Martin to build it for me. Remember, they are the ones getting the e mails and talking to dealers. You might feel disenfranchised if your tastes are not in the mainstream.
not sure who you're talking to, but if its the neck comments, I assure you, that neck is anything but "mainstream."

Last edited by zoopeda; 04-11-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:37 PM

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the nitro finish on my 37 D28AA is thinner than the straight up Authentic model. Also I find nothing wrong with my Authentic Aged neck. Slight V above the seventh fret. Not particularly thicker either and certainly not a “baseball bat.” This is a late 2019 model. You can have this guitar after you pry it out of my cold dead hands.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 04-11-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the nitro finish on my 37 D28AA is thinner than the straight up Authentic model. Also I find nothing wrong with my Authentic Aged neck. Slight V above the seventh fret. Not particularly thicker either and certainly not a “baseball bat.” This is a late 2019 model. You can have this guitar after you pry it out of my cold dead hands.
I think what most of us find ridiculous is how thin it is in the first position (in relation to how fat it is farther up). No question, some people like (or don’t mind it), but it isnt remotely a typical vintage neck. It’s very unusual which turns a lot of people off. So many posts here and on the UMGF of people who sold that guitar because of the neck (even though SOME people love it.) I’d hope for a more broadly appealing neck on one of these, personally.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:01 AM

I think these are Custom Shop orders from that shop. Martin call's them Custom Shop Expert Dealer.
These are not regular Martin series, I guess.

1930 National Style O
1931 National Triolian
1933 Gibson L-1
2007 Martin 000-18 SB Authentic
2013 Gibson 1935 Advanced Jumbo Limited Edition
2013 Gibson 1934 Original Jumbo Limited Edition
2021 Martin D-28 CAA 1937
2022 Martin 000-28 CAA
Many Strat's, Tele's, ES 335's and a Gretsch Duo Jet
Old 04-12-2021, 04:39 AM

How can a D-28 based on a pre-1969 design be authentic without Brazilian Rosewood back and sides?
Old 04-12-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I think what most of us find ridiculous is how thin it is in the first position (in relation to how fat it is farther up). No question, some people like (or don’t mind it), but it isnt remotely a typical vintage neck. It’s very unusual which turns a lot of people off. So many posts here and on the UMGF of people who sold that guitar because of the neck (even though SOME people love it.) I’d hope for a more broadly appealing neck on one of these, personally.

I switch very easily back/forth between my D-28 AA, D-18 GE and Collings D1AT. The 28 AA neck is a bit thinner but doesn’t bother me. Now, some earlier D-28 ‘37As I played had what felt like a much more exaggerated taper. I assumed Martin was taking the hint from all the feedback they had received.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:48 AM

I really like the idea of non-VTS tops and the possibility of another D-18 ‘37A run.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
seems like if the aurhentics had the .105" top, these ads wouldn't need to point out "thinner top" as a feature. Then again, they mention hide glue. I could swear people over on the tech forum of UMGF have said repeatedly the prewar originals and authentic series copies do not have thinner tops vs the standards, except the 000-30A. Would be great to start getting some caliper measurements. I can measure my HD28V but don't known an authentic. Yet
I don't know how much more you can thin a top after .105" and still have a structurally sound guitar top? But I'm no luthier.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I don't know how much more you can thin a top after .105" and still have a structurally sound guitar top? But I'm no luthier.
These have a .105” top, according to the TME ad. I looked it up and saw John Arnold endorse a prewar Martin top thickness of about 0.110” elsewhere on this forum, so .105” is right in that ballpark, maybe exact with lacquer finish added on.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
How can a D-28 based on a pre-1969 design be authentic without Brazilian Rosewood back and sides?
Because you can name something any way you want, and if you can convince enough people to buy one it was a resounding success.

It’s when they move on the the “Real Authentic” models, that I’ll be closely watching.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Perhaps instead of Martin focusing on specs like this, they should try hand voicing each guitar top to an optimal deflection, particularly if we're talking a limited run of select guitars. There's simply too many good boutique alternatives now for Martin to continue to ignore this.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-12-2021, 11:28 AM

Where are all the relic bashing purists when Martin does it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion