The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2020, 11:36 PM

Default Waterloo WL-12 and WL-12Mh

Does anybody have/has played both? I love the WL-12, but curious how the all mahogany version compares. Or, complicating things, have you played the Collings 001 traditional mahogany with satin finish?
Old 06-11-2020, 07:04 AM

I’ve played both at The Music Emporium but not for very long. I think the strings on the mahogany instrument were newer. It sounded a bit better to my ears.

I’ve not played the Collings you mention.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 06-11-2020, 09:56 AM

I think that everyone that follows these threads knows that I love my WL-12Mh and prefer it to pretty much any all-mahogany guitar I've played. It is warm but still articulate and balanced throughout. The neck is pretty much perfect. That said, the WL-12's I've played seem thin and unsubstantial. I'm not sure why, perhaps they just need more playing to break in or that the cherry back and sides don't have the tonal depth of mahogany (I understand that the newer WL-12's have mahogany B&S but I haven't played one).
Old 06-11-2020, 10:06 AM

I've had a WL-12Mh for almost a year now and I find myself playing it more often that some of my vintage Martins, it's that good (to my old ears anyway).
Lately more in altered tunings for Hawiian or Celtic. Just a great sounding all hog 12 fretter.
I've not played its 14 fret sibling but I imagine its tone is similar, with maybe a tad more cut and punch due to the longer neck configuration and bridge placement.
The 12 fretter is excellent for fingerstyle. Maybe the 14 fretter works better with a pick.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

The WL-12 is Maple, not cherry. And no, doesn't sound like mahogany, doesn't even try.

I've owned two Waterloos so far, the WL-12 and a WL-14 (mahogany back and sides) The WL-12 is the keeper, the WL-14 is gone.

My WL-12 is a great guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
I think that everyone that follows these threads knows that I love my WL-12Mh and prefer it to pretty much any all-mahogany guitar I've played. It is warm but still articulate and balanced throughout. The neck is pretty much perfect. That said, the WL-12's I've played seem thin and unsubstantial. I'm not sure why, perhaps they just need more playing to break in or that the cherry back and sides don't have the tonal depth of mahogany (I understand that the newer WL-12's have mahogany B&S but I haven't played one).
Old 06-11-2020, 11:02 AM

I'm definitely interested in the WL-12mh. Anyone ever put a pickguard on one? I realize that might be sacrilege to some on here, but as someone who splits time evenly between finger picking and strumming, I'd prefer to have one (tough choice between white to match binding and tuner buttons; or tiger stripe which I don't usually like, but think looks good on hog...). Besides, the Waterloo line really hits the "players guitar" mark where all of the craftsmanship goes into the playability and sound without so much decoration making the instrument "precious", so an aftermarket mod doesn't seem like a big deal...
Old 06-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

I own a WL-12 and a 1937 00-17. There’s no better all mahogany guitar than the real deal and the real deal is still available and not crazy expensive like all other 30’s Martins. I’ve had every iteration of Martin, SCGC, Bourgeois, and played a Collings and all are nice, but none sound like the original. My mint 1937 was just under $5,000 so when the real deal is attainable, might as well get that.

As for the WL-12. I went into the store with no intention to buy and played about 7 Waterloos, but I could not put this one down so I just had to have it. It is a better guitar than any Kalamazoo or Gibson I have played with the exception of my 1935 L-00. I sold off my Kalamazoos and my 1935 L-Century.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:08 PM

I have the WL-12MH (I bought it a couple of months ago), and it's a keeper. It's probably the best sounding small bodied guitar I've ever had. I love it's nice chunky neck and warm sound, and it's not going anywhere. It gets more playing time than my Taylor 12-string (which is my church band guitar - they like the sound of of my 12-string, and specifically asked me to play it), and and my Eastman OM.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 06-11-2020, 01:52 PM

I knew that I had gotten the B&S wood wrong on the WL-12 as soon as I posted. Sorry, but my assessment still stands. Cherry might actually be an improvement in what I heard.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Fine if you didn't like the guitar, we should remember not all examples of the same model are born the same and it's not a guitar for everyone. My WL-12 went through two other owners quickly before it came to me. Also maple is not to everyone's taste. If you're looking for a mahogany sound, maple ain't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
I knew that I had gotten the B&S wood wrong on the WL-12 as soon as I posted. Sorry, but my assessment still stands. Cherry might actually be an improvement in what I heard.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
Fine if you didn't like the guitar, we should remember not all examples of the same model are born the same and it's not a guitar for everyone. My WL-12 went through two other owners quickly before it came to me. Also maple is not to everyone's taste. If you're looking for a mahogany sound, maple ain't it.

Sorry to revive a relatively old thread, but I found a WL-12 on Reverb for a great deal and out went my income tax refund. That being stated, even though I was already hooked from other videos, this one you posted would have sunk me instantly! Great video and wonderful sound. I'm waiting by the door on the man in the brown uniform!
Old 04-14-2021, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire1987 View Post
Sorry to revive a relatively old thread, but I found a WL-12 on Reverb for a great deal and out went my income tax refund. That being stated, even though I was already hooked from other videos, this one you posted would have sunk me instantly! Great video and wonderful sound. I'm waiting by the door on the man in the brown uniform!
Congratulations. I still have mine, sure do like the guitar. I go between Phosphor Bronze and Martin Retros for strings, I have Phosphor Bronze on it now and it think they have a slight edge.

Enjoy! The WL-12 is a fun guitar.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:06 PM

I hadn’t seen this thread, but back in Jan I bought a WL-12 MH - and every single time I pick it up it still brings a smile to my face.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Since this is an old thread, I almost posted twice, but I’ll stick to post #7. I played my WL-12 for 3-4 hours today. I love this guitar as much as the ones 10x it’s price. Outstanding vintage tone and the only new guitar other than my Borges OM-18 (6x the price) that truly sounds vintage.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Since this is an old thread, I almost posted twice, but I’ll stick to post #7. I played my WL-12 for 3-4 hours today. I love this guitar as much as the ones 10x it’s price. Outstanding vintage tone and the only new guitar other than my Borges OM-18 (6x the price) that truly sounds vintage.
I have often said my WL-14s (X and L) both sound older than my old guitars! But I have no idea...why? What did Bill do to get this? Can you put it in words, Jim?

I played my X for lunch and the neck, playability and tone could easily make it my only guitar if it... gulp.. came to that.... I also doubt I would have bought some of the things I have in the past if these were available....... I might add some bling!

P.S. Did I read in these pages that Collings were not currently making any Waterloo orders, just catching up on Collings orders? There are certainly no new ones anywhere near here.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion