The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
From Wikipedia: Though similar in appearance to the popular Gibson ES-335 guitar, the ES-330 is quite different: the 330 is a fully hollow thinline guitar, not a semi-hollow guitar with a center block. Also, the 330 has two single-coil P-90 pickups, in contrast with the two humbuckers on the 335.

The 330 neck originally joined the body at the 16th fret, not the 19th, like the 335. In 1967/1968, Gibson changed it to join at the 19th fret. Current Gibson reissues are known at ES-330L to denote this longer ('L') feeling neck, and reissues of pre-68 330s have the 16th fret join as they would have originally. Note that the scale length of both models (16-fret and 19-fret) is the same, the body is just different (the 16-fret model has markedly taller upper bouts and thus more hollow body area)[/I]...

For comparison purposes the first 330 dates from '66, the second from '68 - note the relative position of the bridges vis-a-vis the neck joints, as well as the size/shape of the pickguards...

- and here's a full-front shot of a '64 RI - note that the bridge is centered between the interior points of the f-holes, as on the '63 Emperor posted previously...
Thanks, Steve!
Old 04-29-2020, 06:34 PM

Yep fully hallow. I have a 1960 es330. Nice acoustic tone.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:00 PM

Great idea for Gibson , have always though taking the brand to china was a big mistake -nice to see that model come home -wish they would do that with the rest of their models ---
Old 04-10-2021, 07:18 PM

I have one on the way. I also have a J45. Should be a good comparison.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:35 PM

Congrats - be sure and report back!
Old 04-13-2021, 03:07 PM

I am by no means a professional guitarist and my hearing has been a bit damaged from years in the army, but I just went to my local guitar store to try one of these out today and from the first strum I was hooked. I compared it to a custom shop Gibson j-45 historic they had and I thought the Texan blew it away. These guitars are every bit worth their price and a great callback to these great guitars. I hope to see more guitars like this come from Epiphone/Gibson

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by zcregle1; 04-13-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:51 PM

Well, that's the thing, isn't it. There must be at least six, probably ten different very forgettable guitars made today and sold at huge prices purely on the fact that a Beatle one happened to play one.

There is the Epiphone in this thread. (Once played by Paul.) There is the three-quarter scale Rickenbacker John played for a while. There is the semi-acoustic Maton George played on a few songs. There is the Hoffner bass Paul used to use. Which others have I forgotten?

The other day I was wandering arount a music shop and saw a Hoffner Beatle bass on display: SALE! Only $6000! As played by Paul McCartney. It was probably a very nicely made and well-finished instrument, but six grand? Just because someone famous played something a bit like it 50-something years ago? I don't think so.

Meanwhile, all that aside, I agree with the general sentiment: it is nice to see a proper Epiphone again. It is a grand old name.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:29 AM

Default Raining Cats and Dogs

Got my Epiphone Texan USA Made, mates.

Came in a gray case "Epiphone" on the side, a more alligator-ish pattern compared to the brown cases that Gibson ships. Definitely had the 60s vibe.
Smells exactly like a new J45. You know that smell?
The paperwork says Gibson Custom on it. Warranty card, the tissue etc. This is a Gibson Custom guitar.

Very light compared to my J45. Beautiful grain pattern on natural finish. Old style plastic tuners.

Neck is nice, rounded but on the low side. Comfy. Long scale.

Sound? I explain it as more resonant and "zingy" compared to the J45. More overtones. Beautiful. Woody too. Reminded me of a lot records I heard. Not sure which ones though.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Glad you are happy with your Texan. There is however, a lot different than my 65. But they got the long scale right. A lot of my guitar's character comes from the adjustable bridge. I think it's poor reputation comes more from Gibson's spotty quality in the 60s than the bridge. I understand they need to sell them though, and the neck width is very different. I imagine a 1 5/8 neck would be a hard sell.

What a marketing nightmare though, selling both the budget brand and US made at the same time.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-15-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
What a marketing nightmare though, selling both the budget brand and US made at the same time.
You'd certainly think so, wouldn't you! Surely the cheap import reputation taints the reputation of the real thing?

But look at who else does it. Off the top of my head (and doubtless there are others I have overlooked):
  • Breedlove.
  • D'Angelico.
  • Eko.
  • Fender.
  • Guild.
  • Martin.
  • Ibanez.
  • Ovation.
  • Paul Reed Smith.
  • Takamine.
  • Taylor.
  • Tokai.
  • Washburn.
  • Yamaha.

It seems likely that the devaluation of the high-end models by associating them with cheap imports wearing the same brand is worth less than the extra cachet given to the cheapies by association with the good ones.

As a consumer, I do think it is very important that the company be honest and up-front about which model is which. Epiphone say "Epiphone USA" clearly on the US-made models. Guild very clearly label their Chinese cheapies as "Westerly Series". Fender leave you in no doubt. Takamine's made-in-Japan models are always identified (though that might be the retailers more than the company). With most of the others you have to look stuff up and figure it out for yourself. Chances are, most people don't.
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion