The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-19-2020, 12:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
A single source UST is the most feedback resistant option short of a sound hole magnetic. I think high stage volume goes with the total electric guitar like marketing package.

With ToneDexter, Soundscape, or a NUX Optima Air, an IR can be used to perfect any type of piezo to a microphone of choice target (and reintroduce the loss of stage volume tolerance...). If you've got the money, the latest ToneDexter 2.x seems the best of the bunch.
Exactly my thoughts. AGF member Aaron Short has more than a few great videos on the subject, and I agree that TD 2.0 is awesome... at least in the videos I've seen.

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 12-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Well, good for me, I can save a lot of money. I liked the first recording with the piezo and thought the mic/tonrdexter recordings sounded like they were played with a pillow over the speaker.

Even so, I think the GPC-16e is a much better buy with solid rosewood and a better pickup for only a little more. It has the same shallow depth and almost the same overall size and most players aren’t going far enough up the neck to notice the new neck attachment on the SC-13
Old 12-19-2020, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

So much gets said when a company does something new. Fender with the Acoustasonic, Lowden with the Ed Sheeran signature and now Martin with the SC-13e. I am all for new products as long as the other products are still available.

As much as I like the shiny new toys I also really like the traditional ‘tried and tested’ products as well. Since I played on stage a lot before 2020 happened I am very interested in stage guitars which I think these are since they are said to be comfortable, light and easy to play.

I really want to try one out and review one before I make a judgement as I am expecting these to be unlike any other Martin that I have played.

I kind of already know that I would prefer a 28 model as I am used to and a fan of the 28 series Martin’s. I would also expect these 28 models to have a ‘better’ and fancier pickup system but I wonder if it will be a real step forward or will some people still want to pull it out and install a K&K etc. I think a new factory installed system needs to be a big step forward at this point.

Lately I have been using IR’s with a Fishman Goldplus and while it radically improves the tone it’s still not 100% as there are still some undesirable frequencies which I am working on removing at the moment (I just compared some microphones and will be doing more tests like this with EQ) and of course it has no body percussion which is quite important for modern players.

I hope that we will see a 28 style version with a pickup system that blows me away but who knows? Another option is to remove the factory electronics and put an Anthem SL or similar in there.

I think Martin made a great move with these and I haven’t seen any bad feedback on them yet which is very promising. Like someone said the installed electronics fit the model number and I’m excited to see what is next.
Old 12-19-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
most players aren’t going far enough up the neck to notice the new neck attachment on the SC-13
I'm sure the GPC-16 is a fine instrument. I've never played one so I wouldn't know though.

Certainly the SC-13E has that amazing cutout design, which is obviously going to benefit players who go up the neck.

I can say that you definitely get the benefit of the neck carve on the SC-13E whether you play up the neck or not however. It really enhances playability and feel all the way to the nut.

The scale length and attachment at 13 also impact positively on playability.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 04-14-2021, 09:19 AM

Couldn't agree with this more. Why put a $10 pickup in a guitar designed for the stage. It's like putting $100 goodrich tires on a race car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I don’t understand why they put a single source piezo pickup in this model. If it is truly a guitar made to be plugged in, put a pickup in it that sounds good. Seems like Martin tends to turn to Fishman as a pickup supplier and from my consumer perspective they are lagging behind in the multi source/modeling area. The Aura was great 10 years ago. But think about the Baggs Anthem, Yamaha SRT and Atmosfeel, and Cole Clark multi source options. Heck, even a K&K would be a better choice.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:27 AM

I played one of these last night and really liked it - I thought it sounded really good unplugged which I wasnt expecting. PLugged in I wasnt to crazy about the sound. Overall i thought it was a really comfortable guitar and sounded great.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:00 PM

I agree. Very comfortable. Sounds nice unplugged. Just not a loud projecting sound. Plugged in, the stock Sonitone pickup really brings you down. Anyone who gets this guitar for gigging must plan on replacing the pickup or using external pedals to get an acceptable tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanfilippo5 View Post
I played one of these last night and really liked it - I thought it sounded really good unplugged which I wasnt expecting. PLugged in I wasnt to crazy about the sound. Overall i thought it was a really comfortable guitar and sounded great.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Exactly my thoughts. AGF member Aaron Short has more than a few great videos on the subject, and I agree that TD 2.0 is awesome... at least in the videos I've seen.
The ToneDexter is awesome. I have been playing Zoom open mics weekly (weakly?), and I've stopped mic'ing my K&K-equipped guitar, even installing a sound hole plug, and I only play through the ToneDexter. I continually get comments on how great my guitar sounds.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

Last edited by phcorrigan; 04-14-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Couldn't agree with this more. Why put a $10 pickup in a guitar designed for the stage. It's like putting $100 goodrich tires on a race car.
It's about profitability, Jack. Many of the customers who buy plug 'n' play stage guitars need as many features as they can get per dollar spent. The pickup systems are one place for the guitar companies to generate some profits.

Players with really good ears who can hear the differences between pickup systems can hopefully save up after they make their initial purchase and add a better pickup/preamp combination.

That's how I've always done it, anyway.

whm
Old 04-15-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It's about profitability, Jack. Many of the customers who buy plug 'n' play stage guitars need as many features as they can get per dollar spent. The pickup systems are one place for the guitar companies to generate some profits.

Players with really good ears who can hear the differences between pickup systems can hopefully save up after they make their initial purchase and add a better pickup/preamp combination.

whm
Just looking at the UST cost is not the whole picture. A Matrix is installed from outside the guitar and connected to the preamp inside the guitar. A coax UST is soldered to the preamp and installed from inside the guitar. Probably the entire install is cheaper and more likely to get right the first time.

A coax UST is much more robust than the Matrix and end user fiddling with the bridge saddle won't hurt it.

Even the cheapest Zoom pedal has decent canned IRs to make a Sonotone sound pretty good.

The latest Acoustasonic Jazzmaster includes an in your face piezo voice option. Somebody wants that.

This guitar was not designed for the AGF.

BTW, I find the offset shape much more visually appealing held horizontally rather than vertical on a hook. Not sure why.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-15-2021, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I agree tha it's all about the profits. Martin is in the business of making guitars to make a profit. But right now GC has the SC13e listed for $1499 with a $5 pickup in it. I think most buyers would pay $100 or $200 more to get a good pickup in it.

I would, what do you think?
Old 04-15-2021, 08:29 AM

My understanding is that it's a solid mahogany body with a koa top veneer. Not laminate. I think they're really cool guitars but the lack of a hard case puts me off.

Last edited by blakey; 04-15-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:44 AM

I hear you and normally I would agree, but.....you are trying to make a splash with this "revolutionary" new, made for the stage, guitar. Why not
put something even a little better in it, like the Fishman Matrix pickup and charge $25 more for the guitar? That way all the Youtube reviews will sound good when they showcase the plugged in sound. I've yet to hear/see one YT video review where the plugged in sound didn't sound bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
Old 04-15-2021, 08:47 AM

I'm curious what cheap Zoom pedal has canned IR's?

Yes I have no qualms with the offset shape. It's supposed to be better at fighting feedback and you forget about the shape when you're holding and playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post

Even the cheapest Zoom pedal has decent canned IRs to make a Sonotone sound pretty good.

The latest Acoustasonic Jazzmaster includes an in your face piezo voice option. Somebody wants that.

This guitar was not designed for the AGF.

BTW, I find the offset shape much more visually appealing held horizontally rather than vertical on a hook. Not sure why.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:50 AM

Not even $100 more. I would thing another $50 in cost towards the pickup would have made a big difference. But I definitely would pay a little more for a better pickup, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I agree tha it's all about the profits. Martin is in the business of making guitars to make a profit. But right now GC has the SC13e listed for $1499 with a $5 pickup in it. I think most buyers would pay $100 or $200 more to get a good pickup in it.

I would, what do you think?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion