The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Full List of them on TME: https://themusicemporium.com/search?...m%20authentic*

Interesting it says for neck shape on the 000 "Modified V neck shape with 1930's style heel", but on the D "1937 Authentic Barrel & Heel Neck Profile"
Old 04-13-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
The first 37 d18 ambertone I see just might be the one that finally causes me to stop waiting for the aged version many of us have been asking for!
Old 04-13-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The first 37 d18 ambertone I see just might be the one that finally causes me to stop waiting for the aged version many of us have been asking for!
No doubt. And I guess if the 28s are listed at 5210 I'd imagine the D18s will be in the 4600-4800 for non aged and 5500-5700 range for aged. I have a D18 37A and I'm guessing the value may drop some when those do come out.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Just let me change that "Authentic '37" neck profile for a Mod-V and I'd be in line! Oh well?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Just let me change that "Authentic '37" neck profile for a Mod-V and I'd be in line! Oh well?
But which Martin ModV? There have been many different profiles to wear that name in the last 25 years.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I wasn't aware of that? Same as what used to be on a D-18GE or a HD-28V I suppose. Assuming they are the same?

Last edited by llew; 04-13-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:56 PM

The neck on the D18GE was more like the D28A than the HD28V from my memory - significantly thicker near the body.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

The Vintage series ModV is different from the GE's. The GE's were rounder with more shoulder, especially early on. They had slimmed down significantly by the end of the run. The ModV on the D Mahogany wasn't as deep as the GE and Marquis. Even the ModV within the Vintage series varied. The HD28LSV was had a sharper V than the HD28V and D18V, which was significantly different than the HD28VS and D18VS. The 12 fretters were much fuller and deeper that their 14 fret siblings.

I am looking forward to playing one of these Expert Authentics. Despite all the speculation, no one knows how the the neck will really be profiled. Martin puts out profile diagrams and measurements, and yet they often differ from the listed spec's and drawings.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
The Vintage series ModV is different from the GE's. The GE's were rounder with more shoulder, especially early on. They had slimmed down significantly by the end of the run. The ModV on the D Mahogany wasn't as deep as the GE and Marquis. Even the ModV within the Vintage series varied. The HD28LSV was had a sharper V than the HD28V and D18V, which was significantly different than the HD28VS and D18VS. The 12 fretters were much fuller and deeper that their 14 fret siblings.

I am looking forward to playing one of these Expert Authentics. Despite all the speculation, no one knows how the the neck will really be profiled. Martin puts out profile diagrams and measurements, and yet they often differ from the listed spec's and drawings.
I'd like to play one too but it'll require a substantial road trip as the AD's around here won't carry anything that high end.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
This is inaccurate. There are dozens of unlisted differences between the GE/Marquis line and the Authentic line beyond bracing carve. The ones that are meaningful to me and not offered in the custom shop are: Not only are the authentic braces carved differently but the bridge plate is smaller and tucked under the cross braces. The bracing pattern is also different. The back bracing is different. The overall authentic build construction is lighter. The neck block is larger and not the modern L shape. The fretboard is thinner, which affects upper bout resonance. You can’t even get the authentic bridge from the custom shop. None of these authentic features are available through the custom shop which is why this new “expert” line is significant. (And the complete list of differences enumerated by the Martin experts goes into the dozens.).

This model marks a rare moment in Martin history where you get an Authentic series guitar with just a couple of modern changes.

My original point was that Martin easily make Authentic bracing available in the custom shop.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:19 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
I think what most of us find ridiculous is how thin it is in the first position (in relation to how fat it is farther up). No question, some people like (or don’t mind it), but it isnt remotely a typical vintage neck. It’s very unusual which turns a lot of people off. So many posts here and on the UMGF of people who sold that guitar because of the neck (even though SOME people love it.) I’d hope for a more broadly appealing neck on one of these, personally.
Point noted. Still, I play up and down the neck and it is a non issue to me. Guess I’m just weird or something.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 04-14-2021, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
Point noted. Still, I play up and down the neck and it is a non issue to me. Guess I’m just weird or something.
I’d say you’re LUCKY!
Old 04-14-2021, 02:46 PM

Seems like a silly thing to get cranky about....

whm
Old 04-14-2021, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Just call a dealer and (try to) order the guitar you want...
Old 04-19-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

I called Wildwood a week ago to see if they happened to have an incoming D18 with Authentic bracing and ambertone finish coming in. I still have not heard back but here's one they got in today, I believe this is the first of this new series to hit their website.

Sinker D18, with "D18 Authentic 1937 Bracing" and MLO neck ... $4300

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/...8-9/?cat_id=32

Very nice guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion