The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-01-2021, 09:33 AM

OP It looks you didn't get the expected in-depth answers to your questions. I think this is partly becouse your description looks more like a 25K Traugott guitar than the production CF one. It would be best if you can play the X30. For sure it is great instrument, but YOU need to hear it for yourself, to know if you like the trebles...

Or mybe you can post few links of players/music/guitars you prefer, so others can more easily answer if X30 would be good choice for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-05-2021, 08:42 PM

IMHO, my fan fret x30 has better projection & articulation across the neck. When I dig in, it feels like I'm in a JBL commercial.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 04-06-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post

IMHO, my fan fret x30 has better projection & articulation across the neck. When I dig in, it feels like I'm in a JBL commercial.
I loved this and understood immediately your JBL reference.

That was a great description of the first big open E chord on my X30. And then darned if all the rest of the chords didn't sound like I was plugged in!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-20-2021, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

New X30 owner here who plays fingerstyle 98% of the time - I’ll take a stab at at offering my perspective on a few of your questions:

It was the treble tone that drew me to CF in the first place - I do not like to hear any metallic zing in my fingerstyle tone, and RainSong, the first CF company I tried, gave me the tone that I wanted with minimal effort. Emerald’s tone has much of that same carbon fiber DNA - those same easy full sounding trebles are easily there. But unlike RainSong, my X30 has more resonance that reminds me of a nice wood guitar. Very cool indeed! I think the treble tone may be best I’ve ever played.

But the X30 also has many characteristics that are not unlike a D-28 14 fret guitar. The bass is not very focused, and just like many HD-28s I’ve played in the past, there are a couple of woofy notes on the D string, especially fretted E and F, and F#. In some musical passages that type of response is actually very cool.

My RainSong jumbo may be the most even sounding guitar I’ve ever played. The treble response, while nice and full, seems fundamentally different from wood guitars response - the tone is rich and full, but the body resonance in the tone seems less present. No woofy notes across the range and the bass is much tighter. It is arguably an easier guitar to play than the Emerald.

I’ve never played on any super premium level instruments, especially those from a single luthier. But the X30 did send my D-28 12 fret packing which was the most expensive instrument I’ve ever purchased. Others here have played these more premium instruments like this and report that the X30 compares well.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker

Last edited by boneuphtoner; 04-21-2021 at 07:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber