The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-15-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Looking for recos on No-Frills side by side fridge for garage

I'm in the U.S. My garage fridge is over 20 years old and awful, and yes I need one. Big is great. Don't want any fancy features. No ice maker, wifi/blue tooth... All I want is half of it to be cold, and the other half to be colder!

Any recommendations on a brand, or specific model that is high value and very very good?
Old 01-15-2021, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for recos on No-Frills side by side fridge for garage

We picked up a Gladiator fridge designed specifically for being kept in the garage- a potentially hot garage. We live in the southeastern US and our garage door gets direct afternoon sun and thus gets very hot 6-8months out of the year. The fridge and freezer have done well in that environment.

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:52 PM

A "Wanted" ad in Craigs's List will bring a LOT of responses----more than AGF anyway.

Fog
Old 01-15-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
A "Wanted" ad in Craigs's List will bring a LOT of responses----more than AGF anyway.

Fog
I'm looking for recommendations based on personal experience.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:22 PM

What about the one in your kitchen? IE, upgrade your kitchen, demote the current kitchen fridge to the garage.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckroast View Post
What about the one in your kitchen? IE, upgrade your kitchen, demote the current kitchen fridge to the garage.
For most folks, that would be a great suggestion, and is in fact where the current garage one came from. We replaced the kitchen one 3 years ago, and intentionally went with a Bosch (very happy with it) which has a larger fridge section and a small freezer section, because we always have and always will have a second larger fridge/freezer in the garage. I am really looking for a 50/50 freezer fridge situation in the garage.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:09 AM

We know this the hard way - a 1981 kitchen with a size bigger than old homes but can't take the modern large units. Modern appliances not lasting long.

Whirlpool makes a no frills but not tiny side by side. Our second one is still working but falling apart physically. We're hoping a kitchen remodel allowing a bigger one can be done before it does.

The last time we got one for our cabin I think Canadian Danby had the best options for basic not so big models but none we saw stocked were side by side.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:34 AM

I remember a friend of mine that was involved in appliance repair mentioning that refrigerators/freezers that are used in a garage that is not heated develop problems especially in Winter if the garage temperature drops below (I can't remember) 40 deg? It causes the compressor to try to run backwards.

I only mention this as many of his repair calls were in the Spring/Summer when someone would loose an entire freezer of meat to a non working freezer that was being used in a non heated garage. He would find that the meat was OK up until the garage started seasonal heating and the freezer had malfunctioned during the Winter.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I'd check the "scratch & dent" section of your local Lowe's or Home Depot. I picked up a new (slightly dinged up) second fridge for our laundry room for next to nothing.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-16-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I'm looking for recommendations based on personal experience.
If D’Addario makes fridges they would get my recommendation for sure.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 01-16-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'd check the "scratch & dent" section of your local Lowe's or Home Depot. I picked up a new (slightly dinged up) second fridge for our laundry room for next to nothing.
Pre-pandemic Bestbuy had an "outlet center" by me that was scratch and dent... No longer there

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic