The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Default Rosette

I am building my first guitar, based on the Taylor 210ce, I am almost finished however I discovered a huge mistake, I didn't cut the inlay for the rosette, does anyone know where I can find a rosette sticker or can anyone give me suggestions on how to do the inlay now?
Thanks
Thanks for the replies, first time on this site as well, I should have joined a long time ago
I think I will learn from my mistake and move on, leave the rosette off

Last edited by Endevour; 05-06-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Welcome endeavor, you may do better with this question in the build repair forum.

While it is certainly possible to go back and get the rosette done, depending on how far along you are on this build, perhaps just bind the sound hole, or get old school with a gamil type cutter:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings...ng_Cutter.html

IMO if you are making basic mistakes like this, or if a rosette sticker will make the guitar look better, I feel it is best to get the guitar done, learn from the mistakes and get onto the next one. Although there is benefit to learning how to fix mistakes, my personal thinking is move on.

To do the rosette now, your first step will entail making a plug of some sort for the sound hole with a hole dead center, then you can use the standard dremil compass method. you should be able to make this plug with the dremil compass.
Good luck,
Rob
Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 AM

one way to do it would be to put a flanged plug snuggly into the soundhole with a locating pin hole in it's center to register your router/laminate trimmer/dremel etc.. circle cutting device. it'll have to be turned/machined fairly accurately. you'll probably need to take into account the dishing of the top and proceed carefully

but, if your fretboard extension overlaps the rosette channel you'll need to do something about that.

if you're crafty with a circle cutter and a chisel you could go the inlay tile method like somogyi does and avoid the fretboard extension altogether or you can remove the fretboard.

hopefully the mods will move this thread to the build & repair forum for better exposure.

good luck!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 AM

I would say... make it non-circular Like a squiggly vine or something. That should be easier to route freehand (or rather, make the imperfectness of freehand routing less bad looking). Make it out of at least 6-8 pieces of wood so each one is pretty easy to fit, and route/glue/level them one at a time so you don't have to fit the pieces precisely to eachother before gluing in.

Or leave it without a rosette. Kind of cool looking if you ask me. Cooler than a sticker, for sure.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Without a rosette is way better than a sticker rosette imo!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM

Stickers really sucks! When they come of in small peaces it looks really cheap. Instead i would put something in the inside rim of the sound hole.
Example: http://www.vintage-guitars.se/Levin_...ansas_info.htm
Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Be creative:

Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

maybe binding would be the way to go, like a baden a

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion