The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-04-2022, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Do you include shipping cost in your pricing?

Luthiers,

When you quote a client a price, does that price automatically include shipping costs?

Steve
Old 01-04-2022, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I don't know anyone who "automatically" includes shipping unless the order is placed through a website. There are too many variable, especially the type of shipping, location its going to, and the amount of insurance, to make a "flat-rate" shipping option -

But, there may be a couple who do -
Old 01-04-2022, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Maybe an odd answer, but yes and no.

Typically if you commission a guitar with us, then at the end the client pays shipping at whatever level they prefer.

If we’re selling a guitar online (say in the AGF Marketplace), then often we will include ground shipping CONUS in the asking price just to save the hassle of negotiating over it.

In the first scenario we typically have a relationship with the client and we try to keep each fee open and transparent. In the second, we’re trying to offer one stop shopping with a buy now price.

Hope that makes sense and doesn’t ruffle feathers.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-04-2022, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

All the luthiers I have worked with have language in their build documents, and on their websites, stating that shipping costs are the customer's responsibility. I'm not sure how the shipping cost can be accurately assessed in advance, especially in the case of a build that might take 6 months to complete. A lot can happen in that time frame: shipping costs might increase; a customer might move to a different part of the country or world; or might decide to pick the instrument up in person. It seems too unwieldy.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:47 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Every commission for me has had me pay for shipping. And that is how I would rather have it.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

We have a flat shipping rate for insured domestic ground shipping. Domestic expedited shipping costs are extra. However, international shipping costs are passed directly to the customer at the current shipping rates of the carrier of their choice.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:40 PM

No, shipping and customs duty (if applicable) are the clients obligation. This is the same policy I’ve seen enacted by the two luthiers I’ve worked for as well as my luthier friends/colleagues. There’s a somewhat slim profit margin when building guitars if you price your time according to skill so having the uncertainty of shipping costs included in your pricing could really effect your quality of life especially if you’re not charging in the 5 figures.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

My new work has always been fob my shop. I do bill for shipping at actual cost, and do not charge for packing or handling.

Pre-owned guitars in my possession are another thing. My standard domestic policy is to make shipping to the the customer complimentary, if they keep the instrument. If they return it, they are liable for the round trip fare.

Another bit of almost related policy has to do with trade-in value. I give trade-in value equal to the original purchase price of the guitar (less tax, shipping, and case) as long as the new guitar is worth 150% or more of the old guitar's cost, and assuming it was bought directly from me. If the new guitar's cost is lower, the old guitar is worth 2/3rds the new guitars value. To qualify, the trade-in must be close to pristine, and certainly not broken. I hope that's not TMI, which I have been told I am prone to supplying.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:23 PM

I've not had a custom guitar made, but have had 2 custom bikes. Collecting the bike from the maker has been a highlight. I likely wouldn't order from a maker whom I couldn't easily visit, both for discussion in the planning phase, and for the collection of the finished instrument.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkyplayer View Post
I've not had a custom guitar made, but have had 2 custom bikes. Collecting the bike from the maker has been a highlight. I likely wouldn't order from a maker whom I couldn't easily visit, both for discussion in the planning phase, and for the collection of the finished instrument.
My next customer is driving down from Portland to spend this Saturday with me and “discuss”. I love this kind of thing.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all for your comments. It has helped "right" my thinking. : )

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop