The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-09-2021, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Default How difficult to find good sets of Permanbuco?

I am discussing a build with a luthier, and am intrigued by Permanbuco from the enthusiasm for it in threads here. How difficult is it to find quartersawn, straight and stable sets, and what kind of premium can you expect to pay? What are the boarder restrictions? perhaps I cannot get the guitar into my country anyway.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Restrictions on international shipping of Pernambuco as a raw material are as extreme as on Brazilian rosewood, and more so in some ways. However, once turned into a musical instrument, the story is the opposite. Musical instruments made from pernambuco get a pass. You can thank the orchestral violinist community for this, as they convinced the powers that be that they MUST have their pernambuco bows. I don’t know which country you are in, and there may be restrictions for you I am unaware of.

Quarter-sawn straight grained guitar sets have become somewhat rare in any Tonewood lately, but in no wood more so that pernambuco. Wood database sites will tell you that pernambuco grows to a maximum diameter of 12”, which suggests that quarter sawn 8” wide material shouldn’t exist at all. But as among humans, there are giants among the pernambuco trees. This is good because of all the many woods I have made guitars from, pernambuco turns out to be the most prone to cracking where flat sawn due to dryness of any. I have made a half dozen from somewhat flat sawn, and 20 several from near perfect quarter sawn. ALL of my guitars with any part of the back flat sawn have cracked spontaneously, and not one of my quarter sawn guitars have done so, to my knowledge.

To me this is an obvious pattern, and although I do own flat sawn sets of pernambuco, I am now unwilling to build guitars with them. Fortunately, I also have several set of quarter sawn pernambuco. It took years of searching and putting out feelers to find it, and cost more hard cash than any other wood I’ve bought in my career, but it sounds like no other, and if it were only more common, I think it would be considered the one true holy grail Tonewood.

Good luck on your quest, it can be done.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Bruce, your assessment of the wood in other threads was one of the main reasons for my interest. I am afraid the upcharge will be prohibitive, whatever it ends up being. Regarding restrictions, I'm in Canada. I will have to look it up. The luthier in question has worked with Permanbuco before and managed to source good samples. He warned me it might be tough getting acceptable new sets.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

When I embarked on a similar quest a few years ago, I found it moderately difficult to get quartersawn sets. Not sure what pricing you can expect, but it’s not inexpensive.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

If you are not adverse to a three piece back, which can be quite attractive if done in the Martin 35 style, or find a good luthier can do a multi piece back that is nearly invisible with quarter sawn wood, you may keep your costs down a bit, and open up your possibilities tremendously.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
If you are not adverse to a three piece back, which can be quite attractive if done in the Martin 35 style, or find a good luthier can do a multi piece back that is nearly invisible with quarter sawn wood, you may keep your costs down a bit, and open up your possibilities tremendously.
This may end up being the only way. There should not be anything inferior about a three piece, should there?
Old 03-09-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

I was able to find Pernambuco, but it was not simple, and it was 9 years ago.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=250773

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-09-2021, 06:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
This may end up being the only way. There should not be anything inferior about a three piece, should there?
Not in the least. Actually, a quarter sawn 3 or more piece set would be a benefit over a flat or rift sawn set, given what Mr. Sexauer has said about permanbuco's stability in a previous post.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Definitely nothing inferior.

I have a 4-piece cocobolo back on one of my guitars. It's an amazing guitar, and I would even defy anyone to discern that it's a 4-piece.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-09-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Will a 3 or 4 piece be less expensive since it might be perceived (wrongly) as less desirable than a regular set in the guitar market, or is Permanbuco pricey either way? I just came across a luthier selling a set for an outrageous amount. My heart sank.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:17 PM

Pernambuco? I thought that was used only for the bows of bowed instruments. I looked up some YT videos and my ears pick up a lot of upper mids. Noy my ideal sound, but I'll be darned if it isn't a pretty wood.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

There’s nothing wrong with a 3 or 4 piece back - whether its any less expensive is hard to say. 4 pieces of perfectly quartersawn pernambuco which are narrower than 2 pieces should be less expensive, but thats mostly because 2 pieces wide enough and perfectly qs will be very expensive, and not many places offer multi-piece back sets, since with most other woods its considered less desirable from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Pernambuco is an incredible tonewood - but there are more than a few really great tonewoods, so rather than pursuing a specific wood, pursue a builder that can create the guitar you want. If they have pernambuco, or can access it, great - but you may be expecting too much from a material, when the material choice should be more a joint agreement between you and the builder, with a good understanding of the tone and response you want from your instrument. You may be much better off allocating your build budget in other ways -
Old 03-09-2021, 09:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pernambuco's chief advantage, IMO, is clarity. it make a full spectrum tonality without any mud at all, at least when I use it. For a performance guitar, tis is a terrific advantage if you're playing acoustic. Nothing in my experience can touch it. But for "player satisfaction" it isn't all good news. It is unforgiving, and if you have poor technique, you won't be able to hide. It you are an accomplished player, it gives you a wide palette and can be a boon to your art.

There is a great domestic wood that I am late to discovering. I blame a certain mid-size manufacturer for this as they took this material under wing and built many pretty guitars with it which failed to impress me sonically. Others have touted its virtues, however, and this last year I built a couple of guitars with Oregon Myrtle, and unless they are both "outside the box", this is a GREAT tonewood. Better than Walnut or Maple, in my fairly broad experience, and in subjective test with friends in my shop, a more complete tonal spectrum than any guitar I have on hand. Besides all that, it is a friendly sound, more forgiving of sloppiness while being a complete and satisfying sound.

Just sayin'. Not every tone-wood is right for every player., and it is difficult for the end user to come to grips with the parameters. My apologies for the plot twist.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Pernambuco's chief advantage, IMO, is clarity. it make a full spectrum tonality without any mud at all, at least when I use it. For a performance guitar, tis is a terrific advantage if you're playing acoustic. Nothing in my experience can touch it. But for "player satisfaction" it isn't all good news. It is unforgiving, and if you have poor technique, you won't be able to hide. It you are an accomplished player, it gives you a wide palette and can be a boon to your art.

There is a great domestic wood that I am late to discovering. I blame a certain mid-size manufacturer for this as they took this material under wing and built many pretty guitars with it which failed to impress me sonically. Others have touted its virtues, however, and this last year I built a couple of guitars with Oregon Myrtle, and unless they are both "outside the box", this is a GREAT tonewood. Better than Walnut or Maple, in my fairly broad experience, and in subjective test with friends in my shop, a more complete tonal spectrum than any guitar I have on hand. Besides all that, it is a friendly sound, more forgiving of sloppiness while being a complete and satisfying sound.

Just sayin'. Not every tone-wood is right for every player., and it is difficult for the end user to come to grips with the parameters. My apologies for the plot twist.
Well I was looking for something very transparent and clear, and technique sensitive (which I find a lot of guitars are not) and in descriptions this seems to be in Permanbuco, if the builder can bring it out of course. I find the steel string can be a wind up machine that just does its thing and the player can't control or add much.

Last edited by fregly; 03-10-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I'm a pragmatist, and despite my best intentions I have a least a lazy eye on the resale value of any instrument I commission. Why? Well, because not all custom builds end up being life-altering keepers. If you commission at pernambuco guitar, it may be hard to re-sell. If you get one with a three-piece back, it may be harder still.

That's not to discourage you from getting a pernambuco. I have to thank Bruce for introducing me to this wood. But be mindful of what you're getting into. The people that are aware of and appreciate this tonewood on flattop guitars are probably all members of this forum . . . and you can probably count them on your fingers and toes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop