The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-22-2023, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Luthiers are the nicest people.

I have recently interacted with several luthiers in my search for a more ergonomically fitting guitar. I have ended up going with Marc Beneteau for a build of a short scale 12 fret. In my interactions with all of these luthiers, and in my past interactions with Drew Heinonen, I have come to the conclusion that luthiers as a group are some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet. To a person this has been true in my experience. Maybe it is something about the kind of person who is drawn to the work, which is so highly detailed and structural, but also artistic. Maybe it even has its meditative moments. Marc has been so patient, so responsive, just amazing. I cannot say enough good about him, in particular. I was lucky in that he was able to work me into his queue for 2024, which was partially determinative of my decision. Bottom line, I feel very fortunate for all kinds of reasons.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

That’s been my experience over the years as well. I have a wonderful connection with both Kathy Wingert and Sparky Kramer who each made a stellar guitar for me. Being in California, I’ve gotten to know builders like Howard Klepper, Tony Yamamoto, Isaac Yang, John Mello, and Monica Esparza.
Congratulations on getting on Marc’s build list. I’m sure that you will come away with a fabulous guitar and a lasting guitar community relationship.
Best,
Jayne
Old 12-22-2023, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
That’s been my experience over the years as well. I have a wonderful connection with both Kathy Wingert and Sparky Kramer who each made a stellar guitar for me. Being in California, I’ve gotten to know builders like Howard Klepper, Tony Yamamoto, Isaac Yang, John Mello, and Monica Esparza.
Congratulations on getting on Marc’s build list. I’m sure that you will come away with a fabulous guitar and a lasting guitar community relationship.
Best,
Jayne
Thanks Jayne, it is very exciting.
Old 12-22-2023, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Luthiers are people. And as people, they respond, in kind, to to those who treat them with respect, kindness and appreciation for the very special work that they do. Even a "calling." I suspect your positive experiences say as much about you as it does about them.

David
Old 12-22-2023, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

This is so true. I’ve been to multiple guitar shows over the past few years, and one of the most rewarding experiences, in addition to seeing and playing the guitars, is meeting and speaking with the luthiers. Humble, gracious and, as they say in Massachusetts, wicked smaht. I think because lutherie is a labor of love, it attracts a certain type of person. The luthiers who frequent the forum are also incredibly generous with their knowledge.

Congratulations on the upcoming build.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm only familiar with the luthier who is building my guitar of a lifetime, but he is shining example of the qualities you mention and more. Steve Sheriff of Edwinson Lutherie has been patient, understanding, empathetic, and generous with his voluminous knowledge. In the course of working out my build, we have developed such a strong kinship that he can anticipate my desires, often before I recognize them myself. The man has the soul of a poet, the heart of an artist, and the hands of a surgeon.

It's takes some time to get all the details worked out and to find a spot in his build queue, but I've had so much fun along the way that I hardly notice the wait.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Luthiers are people. And as people, they respond, in kind, to to those who treat them with respect, kindness and appreciation for the very special work that they do. Even a "calling." I suspect your positive experiences say as much about you as it does about them.

David
Thank you David.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
I'm only familiar with the luthier who is building my guitar of a lifetime, but he is shining example of the qualities you mention and more. Steve Sheriff of Edwinson Lutherie has been patient, understanding, empathetic, and generous with his voluminous knowledge. In the course of working out my build, we have developed such a strong kinship that he can anticipate my desires, often before I recognize them myself. The man has the soul of a poet, the heart of an artist, and the hands of a surgeon.

It's takes some time to get all the details worked out and to find a spot in his build queue, but I've had so much fun along the way that I hardly notice the wait.
I think you have described what I am seeing perfectly: "The soul of a poet, the heart of an artist, and the hands of a surgeon."
Old 12-22-2023, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
This is so true. I’ve been to multiple guitar shows over the past few years, and one of the most rewarding experiences, in addition to seeing and playing the guitars, is meeting and speaking with the luthiers. Humble, gracious and, as they say in Massachusetts, wicked smaht. I think because lutherie is a labor of love, it attracts a certain type of person. The luthiers who frequent the forum are also incredibly generous with their knowledge.

Congratulations on the upcoming build.
Thank you Sinistral
Old 12-22-2023, 10:18 PM

I wholeheartedly concur with what folks have been saying. It is an observation I have shared for some years. As a group, they are special people.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:36 AM

I absolutely second all said above.
I just returned from Blazer & Henkes picking up my finished builds. Willi Henkes is such a nice person, and it's always great meeting him and talking guitars & life. We had several great meetings over the past years. This time a 12 year old boy dropped in to get his cheap electric repaired. It's been such a treat watch Willi communicate with that boy, and finally offer him to do the repair at no charge, explaining he should save his pocket money for something he would like.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 12-23-2023, 07:33 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I couldn't agree more. After 6 commissions and attending numerous shows over the years, I have found luthiers are consistently some of the most wonderful humans on the planet. I've made countless friends here in the AGF community as well. Players and collectors are pretty special too!
Old 12-23-2023, 08:01 AM
Musical minimalist

As someone who has "done what he loves" nearly all his life - you approach your work differently when your name is on the door (or the guitar in this case)

I also think you are generally happier when you work for yourself. Oh, it has it's downfalls too, but I couldn't imagine having to work for someone else again.

I've met a ton of builders - and some have become great friends. There have only been a couple who were a little 'guarded' at first until they warmed up to me. Some folks are just a little socially awkward by nature.

Old 12-23-2023, 08:24 AM

I agree with your sentiment MM. It is one of the reason we started our guitar show to help the luthiers have another spot to market their guitars. Having them for 3 days with limited folks in attendance has turned out to be just a great way to get to know everyone on a personal level when they are just themselves, not in "show" mode. Seeing them cry listening to one of their guitars being demoed is quite an experience as they hear their work manifested before their very eyes in a quaint setting. It really means something to them.
Old 12-23-2023, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Smile This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I agree with your sentiment MM. It is one of the reason we started our guitar show to help the luthiers have another spot to market their guitars. Having them for 3 days with limited folks in attendance has turned out to be just a great way to get to know everyone on a personal level when they are just themselves, not in "show" mode. Seeing them cry listening to one of their guitars being demoed is quite an experience as they hear their work manifested before their very eyes in a quaint setting. It really means something to them.
I second all the nice opinions above. And thank you, Tom, for providing such a wonderful “Love Fest” for folks to get acquainted and play the spectacular fruits of Luthier Labors!

Merry Christmas, and a Super New Year to all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop