The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Clint Bear Custom Guitar being built

Thought I would post some pictures of the Clint Bear Guitar that he is building for me. It is loosely based off a 1929 Nick Lucas 13 Fret Guitar that Clint of Madison, Indiana had available to replicate. This guitar he is building for me will have a Lutz top and figured Mahogany B&S, Curly Maple Binding, L.Bout - 14 3/4", Up. Bout - 10 1/4", Waist - 8 3/4", Length - 19 1/4", Depth - 4 1/2". This 13 Fret guitar will have a varnish finish, it is shaping up nicely and should be completed in October. I am getting excited. You can see some pictures of Clint Bear guitars and the original 1929 Gibson Nick Lucas on his website http://www.ocbearguitars.com/

Last edited by jazzkids; 12-05-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have played a few of Clint's guitars and I think you will be very pleasantly pleased with yours. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 PM

Default Clint Bear Nick Lucas Style Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I have played a few of Clint's guitars and I think you will be very pleasantly pleased with yours. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Tim..... thanks for the note and comments..... this will be my first guitar with a varnish finish and of course the first 13 fret I have ever had.... should fall right into place with the 12 and 14 fret guitars in the fold..... Clint is a super guy and meticulous in his work..... I am looking forward to playing this Lutz Topped guitar, also the first Lutz spruce guitar I will have... I was going to do a sunburst but the Lutz looks so good I didn't have the heart to cover it up..... so natural top it will be...... neck will be 1 3/4" and a Mod V...... October is my birthday month so this will be a great present for my birthday....
Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 PM

I also played his guitars in Miami last year and was very impressed. Wish he would get more pub. I thought his guitars were as good as some going for twice the price. He was a great guy as well.

Anyone know if there are any of his guitars available for purchase that are already built?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 PM
happiness

Lovely looking guitar!

Fliss
Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I also played his guitars in Miami last year and was very impressed. Wish he would get more pub. I thought his guitars were as good as some going for twice the price. He was a great guy as well.

Anyone know if there are any of his guitars available for purchase that are already built?
Get on Clint's website and he lists stores that have his guitars in stock for sale, I know there are some available in Madison, Indiana. Email Clint and he can tell you where to look. http://www.ocbearguitars.com/

I am still debating on whether to use bone or FWI....... what do ya'll think?
I appreciate opinions and thoughts on bone nuts, saddles and pins vs. fwi
Old 12-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Default O.C. Bear 13 Fret Nick Lucas Guitar just arrived WOW!!

The custom built Nick Lucas style guitar has arrived. Clint Bear did a wonderful job on this 13 Fret guitar. It features a hand rubbed Varnish finish and rings like a bell.... here are the specs and some pictures.

O. C. Bear Guitars
Ocbearguitars.com

Model : The Chelsea Nick Lucas
Body Style: Small Body Nick Lucas Style
Top Wood: Lutz Spruce
B & S Wood: Highly Figured Mahogany
Bracing: Scalloped Adirondack Spruce
Rosette: Curly Maple & Ebony
Binding: Curly Maple
Purfling: Curly Maple & Ebony
Neck: 3 Piece Mahogany & Curly Maple Modified V shape
Nut: Bone 1 ¾”
Headstock: Ebony Gibson Style
Tuners: Nickel Waverly
Fingerboard: Madagascar Ebony
Scale length: 24.9
# Frets to Body: 13
Width at Nut: 1 ¾”
Width at Bridge: 2 5/16”
Bridge: Ebony Pyramid
Saddle: Compensated Bone
Finish: Hand Rubbed Varnish
Inlay: Green Select Abalone
Bridge & End Pins: Bone with Abalone Dot
Pickguard: None
Case: Custom Cedar Creek Black
Lower Bout - 14 3/4"
Upper Bout - 10 1/4"
Waist - 8 3/4"
Length - 19 1/4"
Depth - 4 1/2"

You can see more finished pictures here:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...om/topic/93058
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Default some more pictures

Here are some more pictures

Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM

Default A Visit to the O.C. Bear Shop

Since I couldn't go to California for the 2010 NAMM Show, I ventured off to Madison, Indiana on Tuesday to visit Clint Bear at his shop for a visit. Clint has six guitars in the build process and checking them over, I am anxious to see and play them upon completion.

Clint has a Nick Lucas Style in the build process along with a Parlor, a L-00 style, a D size and an OM style. They all look great, some with Adirondack and a nice Carpathian topped guitar, also a nice variety of back and side woods are offered in this batch. I forgot to take my camera for pictures but will do so next time. I am sure Clint will supply information if you should have interest.

I am really impressed with the O.C. Bear 13 Fret Nick Lucas style that Clint Bear built for me. As mentioned this is my first 13 Fret guitar, my first with Lutz Spruce Top and my first with a hand rubbed Varnish Finish and I like all of these options. If you haven't checked out the guitars that Clint Bear is building, you might take a moment to look see..... www.ocbearguitars.com

Jazzkids

Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 PM

Mr jazzkids:

That is a beautiful looking guitar. I am a real "sucker" for figured Mahogany - the finished pictures really look great!

By all accounts, you have a truly wonderful guitar. Congrats!

Peace,
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop