The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwamp View Post
I couldn't decide what to put on the peghead overlay. I didn't want my name, and I couln't come up with a design I liked. There is a pretty cool story behind my decision. Back in the late 1980's, I ran a christian coffee house at my church. It was really small time, but we had a blast with the local christian bands. We couldn't come up with a name. One night, late into the AM hours, I woke from a sound sleep. I turned on a light and picked up my bible from my headboard. I immediately opened it to Isaiah 26:4. It is about trusting in the Lord our rock eternal. We named the coffee house Eternal Rock. That's what is on my peghead. Eternal Rock, or Rock Eternal in Hebrew.

Can you post a closer shot of just the inlay work?

Your guitar looks great, especially for your first go at it!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I see some sweet work in these guitars. Tell the guys they are doing a great job, too.
I'll pass it on.

Acts 4:12
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susitna View Post
Can you post a closer shot of just the inlay work?

Your guitar looks great, especially for your first go at it!
Thanks.

Yes, I'll take a close up of the inlay. It'll have to wait until I get back to the shop. Possibly tomorrow night.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Yes, I'll take a close up of the inlay. It'll have to wait until I get back to the shop. Possibly tomorrow night.
I have a couple suggestions for the Hebrew. I don't mean this to be critical, because it looks like you did a nice job doing the inlays. As best I can tell, the Hebrew isn't quite right. I don't know how to type in Hebrew, so I just wrote it out and took a picture.

1- This is what I think your headstock says. The top word appears to say "olam", which means "world". The bottom word is "tzur", which means rock or can also be translated as strength, and is correct. They're also in the wrong order, so the phrase doesn't make sense. Also, "tzur" has vowels, but "olam" doesn't.

2- This is one possible solution, which is taken directly from Isaiah 26:4. You'll recognize the top word, "tzur". The bottom word is "olamim", which means "worlds". This is where the reference to eternal comes in, because it's understood as this world and the world to come ("olam ha-ba", which is also a euphemism for heaven). There is a small mistake in my picture - there should be a small T shape under the word "olam", as in #3.

3- A second possible solution. "Tzur" remains the same (even though I put the dot for the vowel in the wrong spot - sorry). The bottom word now reads "ha-olam", which means "of the world".

Again, I mean no disrespect. If the inlay as it is on your headstock was the logo for your coffee shop, by all means keep it because that has significance to you. If I've read the words incorrectly, please completely ignore me. But I did want to get the information to you, hopefully before it's impossible for you to correct it if you so choose.

Last edited by susitna; 01-25-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-26-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susitna View Post
I have a couple suggestions for the Hebrew. I don't mean this to be critical, because it looks like you did a nice job doing the inlays. As best I can tell, the Hebrew isn't quite right. I don't know how to type in Hebrew, so I just wrote it out and took a picture.

1- This is what I think your headstock says. The top word appears to say "olam", which means "world". The bottom word is "tzur", which means rock or can also be translated as strength, and is correct. They're also in the wrong order, so the phrase doesn't make sense. Also, "tzur" has vowels, but "olam" doesn't.

2- This is one possible solution, which is taken directly from Isaiah 26:4. You'll recognize the top word, "tzur". The bottom word is "olamim", which means "worlds". This is where the reference to eternal comes in, because it's understood as this world and the world to come ("olam ha-ba", which is also a euphemism for heaven). There is a small mistake in my picture - there should be a small T shape under the word "olam", as in #3.

3- A second possible solution. "Tzur" remains the same (even though I put the dot for the vowel in the wrong spot - sorry). The bottom word now reads "ha-olam", which means "of the world".

Again, I mean no disrespect. If the inlay as it is on your headstock was the logo for your coffee shop, by all means keep it because that has significance to you. If I've read the words incorrectly, please completely ignore me. But I did want to get the information to you, hopefully before it's impossible for you to correct it if you so choose.
No offense taken. I tried to find someone around here to validate what I thought was correct. I used Logos Bible Software to translate each word. I then spoke with someone at one of our synagogues who said she thought what I had was in the right order.

After pulling what I thought was the correct word, I copy and pasted in a word document and then enlarged the font. This is what I sent to the inlay guy:

Ignore the vertical line at the end (or beginning) of the second word. It's a cursor in word. If it is wrong, and I don't doubt you, it's too late now. I guess I have a pretty whacked out story to tell.

As far as the coffee house, we didn't have a logo, only a name. I just came up with this while trying to decide what to put on my overlay. I plan on putting the correct wording on my next build. I suppose I have to do a lot more research before I glue it on the guitar.

I'll do some more digging in my bible software and see if I can come up with something that looks like your writing.

Last edited by mdwamp; 01-26-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 AM

Default Hebrew

This is a screen shot of the Logos software. This is where I got the images.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Your letters are correctly shaped. It's the word order that doesn't quite agree, but that's confusing to many folks who don't speak Hebrew well. At my synagogue, most can "read" Hebrew but have little idea what the various words mean and know a bit less about grammar. They would probably answer you the same way your friend did - Eternal=Olam, Tzur=Rock.

That's the danger of translating words literally from one language to the other (and the reason that "prayerbook Hebrew" doesn't satisfy me, but that's a different story). Your inlay is correct enough that someone could figure it out, and the odds are very good that nobody will notice.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Default Hebrew

In looking at several translations of the Bible, the phrase is sometimes "Eternal Rock", "Rock Eternal", and "Everlasting Rock."

I really want this to be displayed correctly for my next guitar. What do you suggest? Do you feel that one of your writings is the proper way? Are the words I've used correct, but in the wrong order?

I really appreciate your input on this.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I couldn't decide what to put on the peghead overlay. I didn't want my name, and I couln't come up with a design I liked. There is a pretty cool story behind my decision. Back in the late 1980's, I ran a christian coffee house at my church. ....... We named the coffee house Eternal Rock. That's what is on my peghead. Eternal Rock, or Rock Eternal in Hebrew.
When walking my dog we always walk through a nearby church courtyard. On one side is their community building with a coffee house which they have named.....Hebrews Coffee
Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy27 View Post
When walking my dog we always walk through a nearby church courtyard. On one side is their community building with a coffee house which they have named.....Hebrews Coffee
That's a fantastic name. My assumption is that this is a real coffee house that serves real coffee. We didn't...but this was in the mid to late 1980s...before Starbucks was nearly as popular as a happy meal. We brought in local Christian bands and served frozen pizzas. We were pretty low budget!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM

I like Hebrew inlays! Very cool!
www.cornerstoneguitar.com

Ukuleles...
www.cornerstoneukes.com
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
In looking at several translations of the Bible, the phrase is sometimes "Eternal Rock", "Rock Eternal", and "Everlasting Rock."

I really want this to be displayed correctly for my next guitar. What do you suggest? Do you feel that one of your writings is the proper way? Are the words I've used correct, but in the wrong order?

I really appreciate your input on this.
#2 in my photo is taken directly from Isaiah 26:4 in my Hebrew-English Tanach, which is considered to be an accurate depiction of the historical Hebrew texts. "Tzur olamim" is an idiomatic expression, and in this example, used as part of a poem. Translators can render it several ways, and I've got several different versions, myself. The English part of my text says "strength of the worlds", but other texts I've got on hand have "everlasting rock", "rock eternal", "a sure thing", and "everlasting strength". These include texts from a couple religious traditions (trying very hard to skirt the rules here), varying from very orthodox to much less so. Were it me, I would use that one.

The way you have it on your guitar is kind of like when you're speaking Spanish and say "bueno guitarra". It should be "guitarra buena", but most folks would pick up what you're putting down and understand that it's a good guitar. You're using the right root words, but in the wrong order.

Does that make sense? I'm sorry I didn't see your previous post asking for help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop