The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Richmond Webber Alert

FYI, for you Webber fans out there (I think there's one or two knocking around the zoo). There is a 12-string dread (EIR/Sitka) at the local (Richmond, VA) Guitar Center. If you do a search for "Webber" under the used gear link at guitarcenter.com, it's the second one down. Checked it out today and it's marked down lower than what's listed on their site (PM if you want the price). A little bellying and the bridge is lifting a bit (not sure if that was before or after it came to rest at a Guitar Center). Will need a little TLC, but probably a good GC rescue candidate.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Is this a result of standard or higher tuning, I wonder....?
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I've been watching / playing this one for months now... I'd love to have it -- but two acoustic 12s in the house might be noticed...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlkonig View Post
I've been watching / playing this one for months now... I'd love to have it -- but two acoustic 12s in the house might be noticed...
How is the condition of it? I called them about it and they couldn't articulate it very well. The gentleman I spoke to mentioned something about the bridge coming up. Have you noticed that? How does it sound and play?

Thanks!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

The bellying has subsided a bit since I first saw it last fall -- they've got the acoustic room quite humidified right now. Still has a slight belly, but very few 12s don't...

The only thing that really stopped me from buying it yesterday was that the bridge IS lifting a little -- I didn't take a feeler guage with me, but I'm leery of any bridge that does this (I always think of this as Guild 12-string disease...) There's also a slight gap at the back of the heel, between the heel cap and the body - you can slide a business card into the gap. I emailed David Webber about that, and he said that likely wasn't a problem -- he doesn't glue down that part of the heel in order to allow for temp/humidity fluctuations.

Lastly, it has some slight buzzing above the 12th fret -- Neck is nice and straight though.

In all, it's a lovely guitar, great action, big sound. I just don't want to take on another "project" guitar right now.

Last edited by urlkonig; 01-30-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Well... I just bought it.... they should be shipping it to me tomorrow! We'll see...

Kindly,
Danny
Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Good for you! (Now I can stop obsessing about it.)
Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Congratulations Danny! I'm sure we're all looking forward to your review of this guitar. How many Webbers do you own now?

Enjoy,
BK
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, urlkonig. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk314159 View Post
Congratulations Danny! I'm sure we're all looking forward to your review of this guitar. How many Webbers do you own now?

Enjoy,
BK
Thanks, BK. I'm up to 5 now... He makes wonderful guitars! I'm looking forward to giving this one a go.

Kindly,
Danny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop