The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I love my luthier built guitars, they're magnificent instruments, they make me want to play more and better.

I love my Martin, it's a magnificent instrument, it makes me want to play more and better.

I think you've been shopping in the wrong place for your Martins.

Fran
Just wanted to make the point, Fran. I love my Martins, but emotions are something different. Like smiling when you open the case, like chuckling when moving my hand around the bevel, like gazing into the soundport... My luthier made guitar truly made me want to play more and better, and it made me play more and better.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:05 PM

My suggestion is to get yourself to either the Newport Guitar Festival in Florida or the Healdsburg Guitar Festival in Santa Rosa, California. These are big events that attract most of the independent guitar luthiers to come with examples of their work and where you can see them side by side, try them out, and talk to their makers face to face.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I love my luthier built guitars, they're magnificent instruments, they make me want to play more and better.

I love my Martin, it's a magnificent instrument, it makes me want to play more and better.

I think you've been shopping in the wrong place for your Martins.

Fran
Same thoughts myself.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM

Your original post about resale was my exact worry too... I never bought a guitar that I didn't consider it's resale before making the purchase... until this past year that is. Having 2 independent luthier guitars (Cornerstone SJ and Mayes L32) that worry is now nonexistent: They're not for sale and won't soon be. A luthier built guitar is the way to go when it's do-able for you.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Saying "small independent builder" and imagining that it has meaning beyond that is quite dangerous. Not unlike say "factory built" and imagining that it means something specific. I think we independent builders exceed the range of the factories on both sides of the quality line. Even at the top of our food chain, comparing any 2 of us you will find us as different as Martin and Taylor.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretting Again View Post
.......I was planning on buying an OM-21 Special and it's probably the safe choice - but in my heart I would like to support and independent guy who builds products that he loves, that he knows that he's invested a good deal of himself into........
Go for it! I think you'll have a wonderful experience.
There are many builders that fit that description. A great place to start looking is with those that sponsor this forum.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Consider everything.

I have hand builts, Over the counter Martins, custom Martins, and one of Steve, the post above, Baritone.

There is a great feeling in finding a builder, going over every aspect from wood to shape. Then bringing it home knowing that no one else has one like it.

Some time you win, some times you don't get what you want. I ordered the first Kevin Ryan guitar and it took 18 months for Kevin to fine tune what he was doing and building jigs as he went along. Look at him now.

I think a guitar calls to you and if you settle, you will be unhappy.

I have to make room for my new Martin Custom so my Collings OM1C on up for sale. It's an awesome guitar but my wife says one must go, so I have to sacrifice one for the other.

You can never have enough guitars unless you run out of wall space.

good luck.

The below guitars can be found at this post http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=486645
Collings OM1 E SS for sale $3,400;
Tony Vines 0-18 for sale $5,000;
Santa Cruz H custom Koa for sale $4,700;
Taylor T5 Maple for sale $2,000;
Soloway Gosling & Swan for sale $2,000 each;

Last edited by foosball; 01-21-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

Hey Jeff - Ryan #1? Wow! That's a nice little piece of history. That's a fine collection you have, BTW.

I agree with your comments on commissioning a guitar. You have to do your homework. I have one I commissioned, and I am pleased with the results - but it's a pricey exercise, and not for everyone. The other three handbuilts I currently have someone else commissioned, and I find that is a great way to go. Don't have the satisfaction of picking every little detail, though. That is fun, and the anticipation during the build was pretty cool. But the price savings can be pretty compelling when shopping for a used custom.

As noted by my forum name, I do like Martins, and have owned some really nice ones. Ditto Taylors. But, to me - there is nothing like a quality handbuilt. Gotta be the right one for you, so do your homework - whether you are buying new or used.
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 01-22-2010, 02:05 PM

Besides getting to one of the big shows, see if you can find or put together an AGF get-together in your area. Through the ones here I've had a chance to see and play numerous guitars that I otherwise would have not been able to. I found Steve, in the above post, and he built me a beautiful OM that is absolutely outstanding (I need to sit down and write a review of that - needless to say, I play it ALL the time). I've played Jeff's (Foosball) Ryan - it's marvelous. And so many others. Find what you love and get it. And if/when you find a a builder in your price range and building what you are interested in, you'll be able to refine it and make it your own. Not to say factory instruments are to be ignored - I wouldn't sell either of my Santa Cruz guitars. But individually built - a little something extra, to be sure.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM

I wanted an OM-21.
Before committing I looked at a lot of other guitars...
I drove 150 miles and out of the country to a bigger guitar shop to try a bunch of other makes and models, but in the end I wanted the OM-21.

I just got my OM-21 and I couldn't be happier with my choice.
I'm a lucky man. I get to have what I want.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 AM

When my custom built classical was finished, I went to the shop to pick her up, I literally started crying. For me, having a handbuilt/luthier built guitar was very special.

Sure, I took a risk with going with an unknown builder, but I played her guitars before I commissioned the guitar. And I loved what I heard. I could care less about resale, as I will own these for a long time.

Sit down with the potential luthier, let her/him hear you play, understand the different tonewoods and tops so you can make a good decision.

You live once, only once...

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop