The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default The Guitar Building Video and Book review thread.

I have bought more than my fair share of Videos and books on the subject of building. What I have found is no one does it the wrong way or the same way. Just different.
I would like to review what I have for you and please, please Review ones you have read or watched.
Books;

Guitar Making Tradition and Technology by W. Cumpiano & J. Natelson
Big Book. Packed with information to educate. Some things are maybe "outdated" but thats your call. 388 pages

Build your own Acoustic Guitar - Jonathan Kinkead
Lots of color photographs. Simple explanations on how to proceed. While there are methods I went other ways on. And there are a few "gaps" in procedure. "How'd he do that?" It is still a must have book for the wanna be builder.

Video's;

John Mayes DVD set by John Mayes (AGF sponsor http://www.mayesguitars.com/ )
These are great videos. John is a natural in front of the camera. His out takes are worth watching Individual "classes" on all aspects of the build from beginning to end. The set comes in a zip case. Sometimes he uses dream tools. But, for the most part he works with the basic tools, power tools you should have or need.
Can't recommend the set enough. About the cost of half a community college credit and a heck of a lot more info. If you just follow the video's you would scratch build a guitar. You can get sneak previews on youtube.

Stew Mac "Building an acoustic Guitar Kit" by Dan Erlewine and Todd Sams
Quick video for what they pull off. A great intro to building. You also learn how to build a nut and saddle. Dan does all of the nut slots with one hobby saw. You also learn a good basic set up. The video teaches you how to work with a Stew Mac "Prepped" kit. Very well done. I am sure a great asset to the kit. Neat to watch if you are thinking about the madness of being a Luthier. If I remember right you get a credit on the video if you buy a kit. Check with Stew Mac though.

French Polishing for Guitar Makers 2.0 by Ronald Louis Fernandez
I have taken 2 mini classes, read the free guide on the net, read others and this video. NO ONE does this the same and you can go nuts with the one person embracing what the others shun in method. What I have found is you get the result and find your way with French Polish. The video is very informative and a great way to get started. I have watched it over and over. I am about to start French Polishing my first build and I will watch it again.
I got my copy from Stew mac or LMI
BTW There is a fantastic printable free guide on French Polishing by Bob and Orville Milburn. It is Free on the net. Some things clash with the video.
http://www.milburnguitars.com/fpintro.html

Also. For the wannabe builder;
the OLF - Official Luthier Forum is a great place to hang out and learn. Great folks. Everyone is there to help and learn. http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/

Thats all from me for now. Please add to the "Library"
Old 01-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Ervin Somogyi's "The Responsive Guitar" series:

http://www.esomogyi.com/responsiveguitar.html
Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 PM

The Art of Inlay - Larry Robertson. Some of the best material I have read on inlay, and a plethora of pictures of inlays.

The Luthier's Handbook - Roger Siminoff. A great book not so much about how to build a guitar, but rather how a guitar works. Very interesting, and it gives you a bit more insight as to why things are done in lutherie.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM

-Guitar Making Tradition and Technology by W. Cumpiano & J. Natelson. I have this one and it seems perfect for a someone that doesn't have a fully equipped shop (like me). Lot's of hand work detailed here.

-Some old Martin factory repair book from the 70's. Awesome chapters of the most destroyed guitars being brought back to life. Wrecked spruce tops being chopped out by jigsaws!, split headstocks!, punctured sides! Even the restoration of an ancient 16th century lute!.

-Tone tapping techniques n'stuff (don't remember the real title) by Simonoff.
Looks good, but the DVD that came with it didn't play. I returned it and then lost it in the house somewhere. I'll find it some day.

-Wood structure and properties by Elisabeth A Wheeler. An in depth tech article from the SME (#FC79-468) about wood and what it's made of. Anatomical stucture of wood, cell wall composition and dimensional changes, etc.. Good stuff.

Last edited by arie; 01-11-2010 at 03:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop