The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 AM

Default Jonatha Brooke - Your House

Speaking of 18 years ago, first time I heard this tune I had to research who/what it was, love this tune. Found the tuning on a website, C G Eb F Bb D, if it is indeed that, kinda of a C-9/11ish thing. I didn't try to learn the tune, just messed around with the tuning a bit. Anybody have experience with this tune & or tuning? That is all.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:46 AM

Ever since I bought my first album by The Story in 1993, I've been a huge fan.

I saw her in a really intimate venue here in Durango two years ago. Consummate musician, really great guitarist. She played an Olson with a Fishman pickup, and retuned her alternate tunings so many times I was more interested in the strings she used—I figured most brands would have broken.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 PM

That is funny.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

What an absolutely beautiful song, beautiful singing and incredible guitar sound.
Thanks so much for sharing I was not familiar with her work before.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:04 PM

Ah, yes, Jonatha. Loved her from the first moment I heard “Nothing Sacred,” but the entire Plumb album is fantastic. Then Steady Pull came out in ‘01 (the album “Your House” is on). I was heavily into bass at the time, and “Room In My Heart” featured Marcus Miller on fretless doing these slides into each note during the chorus - just amazing! And again, the entire album is wonderful.

I got to see her two years later in Knoxville. She was doing a gig with her band at a venue downtown, but she made an appearance at a record store (back when those existed) just with her acoustic. I was one of maybe 12 people there, and I got to talk with her a bit after. She was great.

Sorry - no help on the tuning. But, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!
Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
What an absolutely beautiful song, beautiful singing and incredible guitar sound.
Thanks so much for sharing I was not familiar with her work before.

I know right? Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 AM

I'm mainly familiar with "Steady Pull, I'll check out some others, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post
Ah, yes, Jonatha. Loved her from the first moment I heard “Nothing Sacred,” but the entire Plumb album is fantastic. Then Steady Pull came out in ‘01 (the album “Your House” is on). I was heavily into bass at the time, and “Room In My Heart” featured Marcus Miller on fretless doing these slides into each note during the chorus - just amazing! And again, the entire album is wonderful.

I got to see her two years later in Knoxville. She was doing a gig with her band at a venue downtown, but she made an appearance at a record store (back when those existed) just with her acoustic. I was one of maybe 12 people there, and I got to talk with her a bit after. She was great.

Sorry - no help on the tuning. But, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN