The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

You were lucky this time, Reid, next time just ask! The headplate wood turned out to be Cocobolo, though I thought it MadRose when I first picked it up. The smell when sanding it could not be mistaken, however. The truss rod cover is Brazilian from my scrap drawer, which also cannot be mistaken when smelled while sanding.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:57 AM

I first met Bruce in 1971 in beautiful British Columbia. He was in his early years as a guitar builder. He had dark Brown curly/wavy hair. Last year I purchased my first Sexauer guitar ,a 2007 OM. I like it very much. On Saturday I received my second Sexauer. It is a beautiful OM also. It is a FT -15 WRX model. It is the Tucarensis honduras Rosewood with a Carpathian spruce top.that you have been reading about on this forum.You have seen the many pictures on this forum. When I received it on saturday it seemed to be sleeping but it didn't take long for those molecules to start moving. On sunday I took my new guitar to a guitar show to show friends and especially to show it to a young Luthier,that I know. On Monday I took it over to my good friend's home for him to try out. He is an excellent player and I really got to hear it from a few feet away. He said that sexauer is not just well known but he delivers a superior product.The tone ,to quote 58spdtrt is open,mature tone with great balance and strong fundamentals.It,when played by my friend delivered sound that left nothing to be desired. Simply beautiful. He played his favorite Martin and the Martin sounded mushy in comparison. I'll be writing additional comments down the road. Bruce's guitars are indeed very special and I am delighted to have my new one at last.I know for a fact that he put everything into this build;heart and soul.As Bruce says,"it only gets better"
Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you for the kind words, FreqF'r.

I see visual differences between Honduran Mahogany and Brazilian Mahogany, but working them seems extremely similar, including finishing. The true Honduran (35 years in my possession) I have is slightly warmer in color, and mine appears to have been a faster growing tree than most of my Brazilian (6 years in my shop). I have just today made two necks, one of each type. The Honduran is my best of what I have as it is going on my standard level guitar, while the Brazilian is my worst as it is going on a WRX. By worst I mean slightly off quarter and not perfectly grain aligned, but in no way inappropriate for a guitar. The worst I have was acquired as the best I could get, and hand chosen by myself. How bad could it be?

Here are some pictures I just snapped:

Old 05-09-2014, 03:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

And then here's one pic with the sealer. I will add another later today or early tomorrow with the pore-filler and then you'll know everything!

Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pear is more like cherry than cherry is! This wood may or may not be coming across in the photos. If it doesn't look fantastic to you, it's my photography to blame. Perhaps you can now see my motivation for choosing the older mahogany for this guitar's neck?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:18 AM

So when you show us the front will that reveal the couple of surprises you mentioned earlier? I hope so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Pear is more like cherry than cherry is! This wood may or may not be coming across in the photos. If it doesn't look fantastic to you, it's my photography to blame. Perhaps you can now see my motivation for choosing the older mahogany for this guitar's neck?

Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

One of the surprises is the Abalone border, not mentioned previously to showing it earlier. Another was to be a slot head in a different shape than I've done before, but I changed my mind. I'd have had to charge more had I done it, and that seems to be an increasing issue these days. The abalone will be a "gift" as it takes little time the way I put it in.

Also, now that I think of it, I suppose there is a small surprise yet to come which won't be seen till I put the neck on.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:16 PM

Hey Bruce, what did you use for the purfling on the pear guitar? It really pops, nice contrast to the darker bindings.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

The purfling on the pear, and most of my guitars, is big leaf maple which is both perfectly quarter sawn to show off the medulary rays, and also highly flamed. I sandwich a .030" piece of this between two pieces of black fiber .010" thick each which both contrast offsets the maple and supports it in the tight bends I sometimes ask for.

Check out post #102.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Tad has been to the shop a few times now, and seems to be well on the road to a good friend. Thanks for the fine POV post, Tad.

The amazon graft looks great to me in the pear, but is just a portent of what is to come as the Pear takes on its true color with the addition of UV and Varnish.
What a lovely shot, and fine, crisp workmanship. Thanks Bruce!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-13-2014, 02:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you, Steve.

Here is a shot of the Black Limba's side which now has 5 coats of varnish on it.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM

Now that is truly fine! The beauty of just wood .. beautifully displayed. You have a gift for matching up wood to great effect! Again.. truly fine!

Is this a commissioned build?

oops .. I went back a page and got the answer.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Is that a wipe on varnish you're using?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

I use traditional oil varnish. I have used it from the beginning of my career, though I have used other finishes as well. In the beginning, the first 50 or so varnished guitars, I applied it with a brush. For the last 15 years or so I have been spraying it using a touch up gun. Although it is time consuming, taking between 2 and 5 times as long as lacquer or UV finishes, I believe it makes both a more beautiful and especially a better sounding guitar. Opinions vary on these subjective factors, of course, but I indulge myself in following my heart.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:40 PM

perfect lines and clean work as usual Bruce. Thanks for sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop