The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Default Americana Cryogenic PB Medium

Don't think I have guitar acquisition syndrome, but might be a string junkie. I feel compelled to try different strings, and then buy more of them.

Tried the GHS phosphor bronze mentioned earlier, and didn't care for the tone but really liked the packaging and the care that seemed to go into their manufacture. They just seemed like great strings, even though I took them off after a few days.

Tried the GHS Americana S435 Medium cryogenic phosphor bronze and I really like these strings.

Just think they sound and feel great, and after a few days like them even better.

Cryogenic treatment seems to do something special, sweeter, fuller tone, with more volume.

Last edited by Arthur Blake; 04-14-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Just found and ordered 2 of the last sets of the Laurence Juber Signature Series mediums that I could find. I really like these strings and wish they still made them. They probably do but under another name.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Tnfiddler, Juber strings were renamed Signature Bronze, and now they're called Americana. Some stores (Sweetwater) are still selling through Juber and Sig Bronze inventory, while others carry the Americana label.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Glad I found this post, I was about to head out and get some new strings and wasn't sure what I wanted. I don't like the plain factory Martin ones that I have on their now, they wore out too quickly, when they were new they were fine. Was going to get the Martin Retro med/lights, but will give these GHS's a try. Thanks..

...guess i'm gonna try the 80/20 bright/bronze. Will update..

Last edited by Arch Stanton; 04-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Tnfiddler, Juber strings were renamed Signature Bronze, and now they're called Americana. Some stores (Sweetwater) are still selling through Juber and Sig Bronze inventory, while others carry the Americana label.
Thank you for the update! I’m glad they’re still making them.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

The LJ PB True Meds were my go to along with JP PB's in light or True Meds until I found the original Martin SP Med PB which I love and got at great prices. But since they have been replaced with the New Authentic version at higher prices now, I've returned to JP NM PB's but as soon as I finish this batch I may go back to the GHS LJ aka Signature Mediums due to they have a bit more low end presence and I prefer GHS packaging.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:03 PM

Default LJ label

The GHS Americana S435 Medium I like so much were all labeled "LJ" on the individual string enclosures. So while Laurence Juber is no longer officially endorsing them, seems his initials remain.

I think he may have been involved in developing the core to wrap wire ratios.

Also interesting, each string package was labeled "cryogenic." Seems to suggest even the plain strings receive the treatment, although it could just reflect the name of the string set.

BTW the plain strings are bronzed. Nice appearance.

I really like these strings. They sound great to me. Makes playing finger style more enjoyable overall. Some of the tones coming out of those strings is startlingly good.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Default GHS Strings, the best I've played

Update: well figures, GC did not have any ghs strings or even the martin retro ones i wanted. So i didnt want to leave empty handed so i got some d'addario exp coated 80/20's, 11's. Haven't installed yet, lots of good reviews. Supposed to have a deep bright projecting tone. Made in usa. I dont like the fact martin strings are made in mx.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:07 AM

They also have strings manufactured in Italy which are then packaged in Mexico. I tested a set out of curiosity (they're great strings) but I'm not going to buy something regularly that's been shipped back and forth the Atlantic twice.
Actually, will think twice before buying anything Martin after they started sending me spam instead of just replying to the question I sent via their contact page

(That said, I had to order my set of GHS 2100W from a Japanese fleabay vendor to get an acceptable price ... talk about ecological footprint!)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 04-18-2019, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
They also have strings manufactured in Italy which are then packaged in Mexico. I tested a set out of curiosity (they're great strings) but I'm not going to buy something regularly that's been shipped back and forth the Atlantic twice.
Actually, will think twice before buying anything Martin after they started sending me spam instead of just replying to the question I sent via their contact page
It is amazing to me how unresponsive Martin can be to customers. My experience is the same. They have this contact page and I have yet to have them reply at all to the 3 times that I submitted a question to them. You would think that they would say - just communicate with our dealers only and let it go at that.

Back to the thread topic, in this day of online ordering, it is easier to sample strings made in other parts of the globe than it used to be. I don't always take the time to discover where they are actually made and even where individual parts come from. But I am happy to have access to the Newtones and the GHS regardless of where they come from.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-18-2019, 08:40 AM

quick question: if my guitar has only seen light gauge strings with low-E of 0.53 (D'Addario/ Elixir) then will it be harmful or cause intonation problems if i try a brand with low-E of 0.54 (Ernie Ball/GHS)? the other 5 strings seem to be the same in the light gauge spectrum.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
in this day of online ordering, it is easier to sample strings made in other parts of the globe than it used to be.
Actually, I think that it has become more normal to consider their origin. Before, you walked into a store and bought or sampled what they had, without questioning much where they came from unless you had a bit of a chauvinist streak or the opposite ("made in my country == better" vs. "anything that comes from far away is better"). Of course, what has also become easier is ordering abroad; ordering my strings in Japan was just as streamlined as ordering them from my usual vendor here in France ... and a lot cheaper than ordering the same strings in Germany. Though I must say I already ordered my violin strings from Aquila in the early nineties (probably by phone or fax), before most had ever even heard of the internet and WWW.

(And my previous comment must have trodded on the devil's tail: I got a reply from Martin just now. Not a very useful one, but still a reply.)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 04-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
quick question: if my guitar has only seen light gauge strings with low-E of 0.53 (D'Addario/ Elixir) then will it be harmful or cause intonation problems if i try a brand with low-E of 0.54 (Ernie Ball/GHS)? the other 5 strings seem to be the same in the light gauge spectrum.
Very unlikely; that number is the diameter in inches. So unless the density of the EB/GHS is much higher (unlikely) the tension should be so similar that you shouldn't even feel the difference.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Very unlikely; that number is the diameter in inches. So unless the density of the EB/GHS is much higher (unlikely) the tension should be so similar that you shouldn't even feel the difference.
Thanks for the quick response!
Old 04-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Strings & Beyond was having a 15% promo (TAXRELIEF), so I ordered a 6-pk of PB lights and 12 single packs of Vintage Bronze strings. 18 sets for $84 -- less than $5/set for some quality strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion