The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-20-2018, 08:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
We thought we would try something new for Stevied's new SJ, and that is a video demo instead of a straight audio clip. We're still working out the kinks of filming instead of a straight recording, but I think it turned out ok. I might put together another clip later of some of our other takes. Until then, I hope you enjoy this Redwood/Walnut SJ.

Just bringing this to the new page.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Default Spectacular!

Yet another spectacular guitar! Way to go Guys!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 AM

Nice playing Steve! The guitar sounds wonderful!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
Yet another spectacular guitar! Way to go Guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
Nice playing Steve! The guitar sounds wonderful!
Thanks guys! Steve should receive this on Monday, and hopefully he'll report in about a safe arrival, and a happy camper.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Well folks - my beautiful guitar arrived safe and sound today in NYC. I’ve had a chance to play her, and just love it. A few quick comments:

1. The fit and finish are oustanding - I’m amazed at how top luthiers like Steve can build such fine instruments with such precision.

2. The pics so far provided, while good, don’t fully do justice to the beauty of this guitar - in particular the details on those leaves inlayed on the fretboard. The detail is amazing - I am so pleased!

3. This is my first guitar with a bevel - it is so much more comfortable. I can’t imagine getting another guitar without one.

4. This is also my first guitar with a soundhole - still evaluating this one. The difference isn’t really stark for me - it’s subtle. What I notice in particular is my bass note separation and articulation is more pronounced to my ear with the soundhole. I’ve alway struggled a bit with my bass notes - never felt that I was hitting them hard enough. The soundhole has convinced me that I am articulated my bass notes a little better than I thought.

5. Steve’s build on this redwood/claro walnut combination produces a wonderful sound. It’s slightly on the darker side, but not muddy or woody like I’ve had with mahogany guitars (and I decided I don’t like that mahogany woody sound). It’s extremely resonant with a lot of sustain. The trebles are not shimmery - but they are clear. If I had to characterize it I would say nice midrange and excellent separation and resonance. But here I am commenting as if I am a professional - I’m really a mediocre player. Anyway, the tone is distinctive and wonderful, and definitely different than my other guitars. It is closest in tone to my cedar/BRW Olson, but with slightly more separation on the bass and slightly less sustain. I just love it already!!

Steve - hat’s off to you my friend! You built me a magnificent instrument that I will treasure for years to come. It is unique; it tells a story; and it contains emotion. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Steve
Old 09-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Very cool report. Sounds like you're a happy camper. Play it for a few weeks and listen to it change, as it undoubtedly will, in significant ways.

I will pretend, by the way, that you didn't call mahogany muddy.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Very cool report. Sounds like you're a happy camper. Play it for a few weeks and listen to it change, as it undoubtedly will, in significant ways.

I will pretend, by the way, that you didn't call mahogany muddy.
Haha! Yes, I shouldn’t exhibit my bias - hogs just don’t work for me.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, Steve-o, what a nice report. And a kind one, thank you!
Like Juston said, you've got some interesting weeks ahead, where that new instrument will be finding its voice. I seldom get the chance to hear them develop (they leave too quickly, I tell ya) but I know it will happen.
Maybe report back in 4...6 months?
And we're delighted that the inlays will be a reminder of past friends, and hopefully will stir fond memories.
Thank you for this privilege,

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-26-2018, 02:16 AM

Default Full Circle

Steve..I am thrilled you love your new guitar and allowed us all tickets on your journey. As I think I might have been the first to mention Steve Kinnaird’s guitars to you way back in the 90s, I was excited and a bit nervous to see how you ultimately liked the build. I could not be happier for you and now maybe you are talking me into an arm bevel!

Congrats and someday I hope to get to both play it and see the smile on your face for myself! What a fun ride for me! Thanks again for bringing us all along!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 09-26-2018, 04:38 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Really glad to hear your guitar arrived safe and you are enjoying it. I can tell you the first six months will prove very interesting with the changes to come. My Madi OMDB has really blossomed and tickles me every time I get it out. It's been just over a year now. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-26-2018, 05:28 PM

Just wanted you folks to see the amazing detail on the leaf inlays. Steve/Ryan - I know you posted pics before, but these deserve a close-up. Also, loved the custom case as well.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Two things: I saw this body in person and it blew me away, period. Finally, that last leaf is just so perfectly cool. So good.

Congrats. Sure wish that guitar could show up in Spring Branch this spring, but I know it can't!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop