The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-27-2020, 12:05 AM

Default Revoicing an old beat up Eastman - Dull trebles-

Hey All-

I recently picked up a 10 year old, well worn in (cracked nitro, mildly abused) guitar for 250 recently. All solid eastman. Had a good sound to it and thought it would be a great project guitar.

I always had a nagging feeling that the lower bout wasnt resonating properly, the treble seemed to dissipate quickly and lose focus. I got inside and checked while doing some other work. Lo and behold, a whole brace was missing. Just gone... I believe its what would be called the 'tone bar', the closer one to the bridge.

Being that I was in the middle of some other work, I thought I'd be a genius and grab some wood I had around, cut it into a shape closely approximating the other tone bar, and glue it in. Voila...?

I strung it up and played a chord. Overall the sound held together better but that treble still was dissipating as fast, maybe even faster. The sound was still sort of 'tubby' and unfocused.

The brace I cut was truly just some pine wood I had around. Maybe the softness of the wood was dissipating the treble? I'll pull that one out and put a proper spruce one in there.

**Since I'm already this far into messing around with the guitar, What strategies could I employ to increase the sustain and transfer of the treble frequencies? I guess I am curious as to how to do this in general. Would Pulling all the tone bars and replacing them with more substantial ones do the trick?

I am fully aware that I can 'just go buy a different guitar' but I want the project and to learn some things from it. Got to do something with this virus going around...

THanks!
Old 03-27-2020, 04:51 AM

Have you looked at the saddle fit, and material the saddle is made of? You may be losing a lot of your higher freq's there if it's a soft material, or poorly fit in the slot. I'm not into Eastmans, but generally they get great reviews....
Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Default A thought --- opinion

After taking care of the saddle and strings, I think OP's Eastman will have arrived at where it's going. So many characteristics blend together to create a guitar's voice that changing any one of them, except for bringing saddles and strings 'up to speed', I don't think will make much of any difference.

There's a reason that brace went missing, I'm guessing it was to address the voicing OP found, and removing it didn't do much of anything for the voice, as I understand the comments.

I think that only things OP can't change will alter the voice (like replacing the soundboard).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair