The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-04-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This sums it up perfectly. Now that it has been said, it will be interesting to see how much farther this thread goes.

Tony
I've heard that for hide glue to sound its best, it has to be stirred clockwise.

I think that's crazy.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-04-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I've heard that for hide glue to sound its best, it has to be stirred clockwise.

I think that's crazy.
So, it really IS crazy glue.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-04-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I find it funny that the poster getting most worked up about this doesn't have an Emerald. It is easy to put a label back on (spray adhesive, stick it, done); much harder to try to adapt to an uncomfortable N2/NS neck. It makes me wonder what else they didn't... nah, just kidding. Oh, and: stainless steel frets... what maker of a quality guitar doesn't use stai... yep, kidding again.

Pick what you like, don't fret (get it?) over a guitar you don't have.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
much harder to try to adapt to an uncomfortable N2/NS neck.
Which is a shame because I actually miss my Shorty....with the exception of that neck of course. One of the best sounding CF guitars on the market in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:39 AM

Breaking news! This just in! It looks like it may be possible to have a guitar label stay on a carbon fibre guitar! Upon inspection of the one on my RainSong, current estimates are that the label should stay where it currently is for at least the next 100 years. Yeah!!!!!!!!!

I would say the same things I have said in this thread on any issue about any brand if it was relevant, whether I owned one or not. I don't take guitars personally. It is a product like any other, and I am a consumer. Simple. I don't have to own to make a logical call about whether something is acceptable/appropriate. That's just silly. Not as silly as this thread is becoming, but really silly and nonsensical.

I deal in reality. Just look at my NGD thread for this RainSong that I own. A spade is a spade. There were vast quality problems with the original guitar that was shipped to me. We had a reasonable, factual, and useful discussion in that thread.

If RainSong deserved to be praised beyond belief based on my purchase experience then I would have done so. They did not deserve that from me so they did not get it. In the end they demonstrated that they are a good company who more or less takes care of customer problems. The replacement was not perfect either, but much much improved, and in the end I found it acceptable. People researching a product purchase from them will now have my experience on here as a data point for consideration towards the purchase of a RainSong.

I believe these forums are partially for keeping people informed of the realities around guitar products, and the companies that produce them. I personally have very little interest or time for being a fanboy of any product.

I recently took delivery of a new higher end Yamaha guitar. Absolute perfection was delivered to me. Frankly, it is probably one of those most amazing instruments I have had in these 2 hands ever. I made that clear for the benefit of others on here. Had it been a mess like my original RainSong I would have said that as well. Vendors get my praise and loyalty if they deserve it.

I really find a lot of people on this forum get bothered when someone says something even remotely offensive about their "chosen" brand of guitar. Not greatly bothered, but bothered. Enough to make little "diggy" comments that make it apparent.

Information is good. If it's positive it's positive. If it's neutral it's neutral. If it's negative it's negative. All that matters to me is that the information is factual and transparent so that I can incorporate it usefully.

Now I'm sorta getting off topic a bit, and for that I apologize. I'm just trying to give anyone that cares a view into the mindset that underpins some of the posts I make around here.

OMG, why am I still posting in this thead?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? LOL I know why. We're all cooped up
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 04-06-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

As Dbone said: "OMG, why am I still posting in this thread?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? LOL I know why. We're all cooped up"...

If Elvis Presley was alive today, he just might being singing his next hit song "All Cooped Up", rather than the original "All Shook Up".

For those too young to remember...

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-04-2020, 11:04 AM

LOL

Nice...Just about fell off my chair laughing...We all need a laugh right now

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-08-2020, 09:31 AM

Cooped Up and surfin Youtube.
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 04-08-2020, 12:26 PM

Before this thread goes away, as all threads should, I would like to touch it once more. I mentioned earlier that both of my Emerald X20's have what appears to be hand cut labels. Someone wrote back that their label is round and not jagged. So be it. My two guitars were purchased a year apart but have the same ragged cuts around the perimeter. If no one else has this type of hand cut label, then I guess I win the hand cut label prize. I am happy with the labels and the incredible guitars.

I read the advice from Emerald about re-gluing the label with 3M spray glue. My feeling is if the original method of adhesion did not take, then by all means reduplicate the original method and see how well it lasts for those who need to.

My observation is that the carbon fiber surface is rough and only a small part of the glue on the label can make contact to the cf. Someone mentioned that their McPherson cf guitar has a smoothed surface for the label. Might be something to that approach.

I have restored old guitars that required steaming off the paper label. I have had success gluing them back on using diluted hide glue. I have not tried it (yet!) on carbon fiber for a paper to cf bond but I would not hesitate to use that or Modge Podge when the time comes. Both clean up easily with water and are non-toxic.

Hope all of you are enjoying the time of social distancing with copious time on your musical instruments.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:17 PM
Guest 928

Sorehand;

I suppose we've not totally exhausted the subject. For example, no one has mentioned the old standby, spit. Depending on the glue used, some good old fashioned spit might just put things back in place. Take your temperature first, lower your mask, and make sure you spit from a distance so you don't infect the guitar.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:29 PM

Simon's not reading anymore?
Old 04-09-2020, 09:04 AM
Guest 928

He's probably in the back room, attaching labels.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Sorehand;

I suppose we've not totally exhausted the subject. For example, no one has mentioned the old standby, spit. Depending on the glue used, some good old fashioned spit might just put things back in place. Take your temperature first, lower your mask, and make sure you spit from a distance so you don't infect the guitar.
Just imagine somebody buying a used Emerald guitar, say, 5 years from now - and getting COVID-19 from the spit that the original owner used to reattach the label. Suddenly, we are all keeping score again just as we are now. Better to keep the label in a safe place until this is over.

We could keep this thread going for a long time at this rate.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-09-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergoetal View Post
Simon's not reading anymore?
I’m sure he has better things to be doing than engaging in threads like this, particularly when it seems to be a one-off.

Emerald strikes me as a company that is constantly seeking improvement in their product. Maybe this has generated some discussion at Emerald. Who knows.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-09-2020, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I’m sure he has better things to be doing than engaging in threads like this, particularly when it seems to be a one-off.

Emerald strikes me as a company that is constantly seeking improvement in their product. Maybe this has generated some discussion at Emerald. Who knows.
Emerald could absolutely confound the competition with an advertising slogan:

Emerald Guitars - Our Labels Stay On ... No Matter What!

Everybody would be scratching their heads trying to figure that one out - and buying Emeralds just to find out what all the hoopla is.

The fact that this whole thing refers to just one guitar with one very minor incident makes it all that much more fun.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber