The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-01-2020, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely stunning aesthetic
Old 03-01-2020, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that closed box picture is so beautiful ! Further proof that Ed is the master of understated elegance.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:29 AM

That is really classy. Not overdone, just the right appointments. It's going to be beautiful when it's all done.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 03-01-2020, 11:55 AM

A very, very wise choice of luthier.
I have said the following several times on this forum:

A: That every single Claxton I've ever played has been nothing short of stellar; not only has there been no "dud", there's been nothing that was merely "great". IMHO he's the most consistently great builder out there. A few extremely well-respected luthiers have also said the same to me.

B: The single best steel-string I've ever played was a Malabar. It had mids and trebles unmatched by anything else I've ever touched. Alas it wasn't mine - the fact that I already have one of Ed's OMs stopped me from buying it.

Very much looking forward to you NGD.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-01-2020, 12:43 PM

Just have to say that closed box with binding on is mindblowingly beautiful. Unreal.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Smile Lovely

Looking Fantastic!

Thanks for sharing

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-01-2020, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Everyone's saying the same thing 'cause it's true: that's the best looking maple I've ever seen.
And of course one of the finest builders ever.
I'm properly envious of this one, congratulations. Maybe a clip when the time comes?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM

Thank you for your kind messages. I've been very much delighted by them. I will definitely post a sound clip once I get acquainted with the guitar.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Very much looking forward to it!
Old 03-17-2020, 11:56 AM

Ed and I started discussing tuners a while ago. The original idea was Waverly 3-on-a-plate, but as the guitar's aesthetics will be quite simplistic, I began to think that simpler-looking tuners would probably be a better fit. And although the guitar is already in the upper limits of my budget, I thought that since I'm looking for a musical companion for life, it would be nice if the tuners were mechanically top quality as well. I contacted Scheller, Graf and Rodgers to discuss options, and all were very helpful. I ended up ordering minimally ornamented single tuners from Rodgers (model SS34). The tuners will be delivered in May, so there will be a break in the building -- Ed has made progress faster than I expected! I don't mind, since I have my hands full with the little baby girl and work at the moment. I'm a doctor in the armed forces, and the global pandemic has caused a pandemonium already, to say the least. If the situation eases off and the travel bans are lifted, I'd really like to travel to Santa Cruz to thank Ed and pick up the guitar in person in the summer. I hope my mind is more at ease then as well. The constant tiredness and stress aren't exactly musically inspiring!

Ed sent me this photo today, which made me very happy. The dovetail neck joint can be seen here. Ed feels it's the best kind of neck joint, and I see no reason to disagree.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

This guitar is really looking awesome! The Rodgers tuners look like they will be a perfect fit for what you've got going on.

I can't even imagine the stress the current craziness is causing in your work situation!

Stay well and thanks for doing what you do. Hopefully you'll be able to pick up the guitar this summer--a nice reward for all the chaos of the current times!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-17-2020, 02:29 PM

So glad to see this and look forward to following it. I know maple often gets a bad rap but I for one have always loved it. In the right builder's hands, it's warm and articulate. And often drop-dead gorgeous.

Congrats on a fitting end to your worldwide journey to find the right guitar for you!
Old 03-17-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Consider asking Rob (Rodgers) about short style pips and simplified rollers. These look aesthetically more in place on contemporary steel string instruments. Also the chrome rollers are more durable to wear than the brass rollers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjanne View Post
Ed and I started discussing tuners a while ago. The original idea was Waverly 3-on-a-plate, but as the guitar's aesthetics will be quite simplistic, I began to think that simpler-looking tuners would probably be a better fit. And although the guitar is already in the upper limits of my budget, I thought that since I'm looking for a musical companion for life, it would be nice if the tuners were mechanically top quality as well. I contacted Scheller, Graf and Rodgers to discuss options, and all were very helpful. I ended up ordering minimally ornamented single tuners from Rodgers (model SS34). The tuners will be delivered in May, so there will be a break in the building -- Ed has made progress faster than I expected! I don't mind, since I have my hands full with the little baby girl and work at the moment. I'm a doctor in the armed forces, and the global pandemic has caused a pandemonium already, to say the least. If the situation eases off and the travel bans are lifted, I'd really like to travel to Santa Cruz to thank Ed and pick up the guitar in person in the summer. I hope my mind is more at ease then as well. The constant tiredness and stress aren't exactly musically inspiring!

Ed sent me this photo today, which made me very happy. The dovetail neck joint can be seen here. Ed feels it's the best kind of neck joint, and I see no reason to disagree.

Old 03-17-2020, 04:08 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Your guitar looks exquisite. Gonna be stellar!
Old 03-17-2020, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the kind messages, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Consider asking Rob (Rodgers) about short style pips and simplified rollers. These look aesthetically more in place on contemporary steel string instruments. Also the chrome rollers are more durable to wear than the brass rollers.
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought the same and ordered the low profile pips and modern-style sleeves (some curvature but less than in the standard ones). I'll likely go with brass rollers though, to match the plate color.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
claxton, custom build, malabar, maple