The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-13-2020, 07:58 AM

Unhappy Can't adjust truss rod - Furch

Hello,

I have a Furch OM 30 SM from 2014 and I wanted to adjust the truss rod, the problem is I can't fit my 4mm allen key. I took a picture in the hole and it looks weird.

What do you guys think?

Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 AM

Is that a shot through the soundhole at the upper transverse bar with a hole cut in it for truss rod access?

If so that looks pretty hosed. I can't even imagine how that got mangled up like that.

Did they supply a tool for adjusting the rod?

It almost looks to me like that is the opposite end of the truss rod thought it would be odd. Are you sure it is not accessible at the head stock?
Old 07-13-2020, 08:20 AM

I've been the only owner of this guitar until yesterday and I have never adjusted the truss rod. The guy who bought the guitar told me that he cant adjust the truss rod and sent me this picture and he wants his money back.

Yes, it's shot through the soundhole at the upper transverse bar.

No, I have no clue how that got mangled like that. As I said, I'm the only owner of that guitar until yesterday and I have never touched the truss rod.

I got 4mm allen key and I tried using it on my Furch Yellow G CR and it works like a charm. I even asked Furch and they said that 4mm allen key is the correct tool for adjusting the truss rod.

It's not accessible at the head stock.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:34 AM

Oh man. One thing is for sure. that's not for a 4mm Allen key. Sorry this happened. It's not even recognizable, it's so messed up.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
Oh man. One thing is for sure. that's not for a 4mm Allen key. Sorry this happened. It's not even recognizable, it's so messed up.
My only assumption is that it happened at the factory or the guy who bought the acoustic yesterday broke it. I never dared to touch it in my 6 years of owning the guitar...
Old 07-13-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddixD View Post
My only assumption is that it happened at the factory or the guy who bought the acoustic yesterday broke it. I never dared to touch it in my 6 years of owning the guitar...
Those two are likely scenarios. But alas you will never know. But if indeed this did happen at the factory then this guy is justified in wanting his money back I'm sorry to say.

A tech might be able to fix this for you. As one myself I'm struggling with ideas as to how. But if I had the guitar in my shop I might be able to come up with something like for example converting it to a slot head or something IDK. Furch uses a bolt on neck system so it could be removed to be repaired. I don't know if their truss rods are removable but if so that would be a bonus.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:58 AM

That does look weird. I hope you get it sorted out ok, Furch OMs are magic...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-13-2020, 11:29 AM

I'm confused.

You are now in possession of the guitar you sold? Did the person who bought it buy it sight-unseen (i.e. over the internet)?

I don't understand what is in the photo. That is, I can't interpret what is there from the photo. There are shiny surfaces and not-shiny surfaces and what appears to be a square-like recess towards the lower left. It almost appears as if the recess is offset from the centre of the hole.

As redir stated, the bolt-on neck can be removed and the nut probably repaired or replaced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair