The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the support guys. The finger etc. is improving. Sat. is my day off so it will get some rest.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:51 AM

Default beware guys: overdid it and paid for it all week long

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Anybody else overdo it and pay for it?

Well, we have all been adolescent. [emoji4]

Hope you feel better soon! [emoji1303]

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 11-23-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Sunday I was working on a new tune that is a challenge for me (Blind Arthur's Breakdown) and I looked up and realized I had been practicing for 5 hours(!) so I packed it in. Woke up Monday morning and I could barely move my fretting hand index finger and it has stayed stiff and painful all week. I kept playing this week but it has been tough at times. Guess I'm not 18 anymore, eh?

Just about every day...
Old 11-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:

You talkin' to me?

I recently put too much energy into a too-long gig, and ended up bruising the fingernail on my right index finger, just from it brushing the strings lightly as I strum. Since then I've been experimenting with larger, stiffer, fatter picks, including a Weigan Big City jazz pick and a Charmed Life triangle.

Getting old sucks.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I get the pinky joint thing too (I'm 64).

I'll have to try pouring alcohol on it
Don't pour it on silly. Soak your hand in a glass of whiskey.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:04 AM
Guest 33123

3 weeks later and I'm still having issues. I can play no problem (1-2 hours a day) but the MCP joint is still stiff and sore in the morning. Guess a trip to the doctor is in order.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

The first time this happened to me was around this time of year a couple of years ago. I went to my Dr in a panic. He checked it out and prescribed 800mg Ibuprophen. I know some folks cant take it and I know it is very hard on the body if you overuse it but it works great for me when I need it.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

My fingertips give up the ghost long before I incur any hand or finger strains. I'm good for about three hours, tops. I rarely practice longer than two hours although practicing 1-2 hours a day is fairly common.

Tonight is our very last three hour gig. We have made the decision to only play two hour or less shows from here on out. Two hours (or less) is fun. Three hours is work.

And since we both have full time jobs that pay the bills, there is no need for three hour gigs. We won't miss them at all.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:58 PM

I only have hand pain problems when working on something new.
The other night I realized I had been working on 4 bars for about 4 hours straight. My hand was screaming at me but I was making progress and let too much time go by.

My go to for sore knuckles is Blue Emu rubbed into the back side of my finger joints. Helps a lot.

A usual week for me is practice every day but one, sometimes two.
I'm 68 and my hands are feeling it.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:28 PM

A few years ago I volunteered to play bass for a worship band (not even my own church or my own faith) and I was trying to learn a bass lick. I ended up practicing it for hours the same repetitive lick. Play and repeat. Play and repeat, ad infinity. And beyond.

I woke up the next morning and my fretting hand was fairly numb. No pain but my middle finger was just about useless and the two fingers bordering it also were pretty much dead. How dead? I couldn't even type correctly as the middle finger had no strength.

What did I do? I didn't play anything for about three months until the numbness wore away. I could play bass a little by using my thumb and index finger but guitar was impossible. It was very frustrating of course.

I forgot if I played later in the worship band but I probably just took a leave of absence and then later (read below) I just quit.

And here's the kicker. That song the worship leader told me to learn ... she decided it didn't fit her "voice" or instruments so she decided not to use it at all! But she never told me that.

So I've learned to do exercises before and after extended playing and to avoid repetitive motions whenever possible. It was my fault as I should have just switched to other songs that we probably also wouldn't have done.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-14-2019, 01:34 PM

I'm 73. I can't do anything for 5 hours without going to the bathroom.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I'm 73. I can't do anything for 5 hours without going to the bathroom.
+1 (except my bathroom limit is 3 hours max!)

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-14-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Sunday I was working on a new tune that is a challenge for me (Blind Arthur's Breakdown) and I looked up and realized I had been practicing for 5 hours(!) so I packed it in. Woke up Monday morning and I could barely move my fretting hand index finger and it has stayed stiff and painful all week. I kept playing this week but it has been tough at times. Guess I'm not 18 anymore, eh?

I admire your dedication but I wonder if long practise sessions are as beneficial as lots of shorter sessions? Long practise sessions can be hard physically and also overload the brain.

"Never take a fool with you when you go, because you can always pick one up when you get there"! Billy Connolly.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Blind Blake's Breakdown is quite the guitar piece and it does take its toll on the fingers. To play at Blake's tempo requires a great deal of technique and dedication.

Ari Eisinger does Blake justice here on "Southern Rag" with similar technique;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2lgtHgoFk
Old 12-14-2019, 05:31 PM

I gave up guitar entirely after a life of it - switched to harp, which doesnt exacerbate arthritis in CMC joints.

I can play fiddle & charango, ukes, oud, mandolin, and accordions...just can't barre a guitar anymore..So ya, I definitely overdid it.

*I'm just coming off a bad L wrist sprain 3 weeks ago .. l couldn't play anything but charango until just last week. I am most grateful to have it coming back. I imagine the time when it may not..

Last edited by catt; 12-14-2019 at 08:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion