The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Guest 928

I've been on the road and just now learned that Ted has ordered an Emerald; could have knocked me over with a feather. I think that is very cool. For me, the move to carbon fiber instruments required some suspended judgment. For example, I really did not like the first Rainsong that I played; but then the Parlor came along and I'm a believer. I know that Ted has had some reservations about Emerald and his purchase represents a great deal of suspended judgment. I see a lot of character in his willingness to test his reservations.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I see a lot of character in his willingness to test his reservations.
Ditto Evan, this has been a fun thread to follow. I signed up to get the Savoy shipped to me first.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I've been on the road and just now learned that Ted has ordered an Emerald; could have knocked me over with a feather. I think that is very cool. For me, the move to carbon fiber instruments required some suspended judgment. For example, I really did not like the first Rainsong that I played; but then the Parlor came along and I'm a believer. I know that Ted has had some reservations about Emerald and his purchase represents a great deal of suspended judgment. I see a lot of character in his willingness to test his reservations.
I could be wrong and not that it matters, but I think Ted picked up a used X20.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

"... bang it around for a week."

'Nuff said; just brilliant.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair View Post
"... bang it around for a week."

'Nuff said; just brilliant.
Truth is I was on road shows when McNichol Guitar did them and I might be the 25th? person the guitar was sent to and it was like new. Reality is in that situation musicians are very respectful people and the idea of "banging it around" is actually just not going to happen. $100 each to play a guitar you may never see in a store that you are curious about is a bargain, and carbon guitars travel well.

Another way to do this is to plan a get together for a day at a certain central location and have a carbonfest. I know Ted would be happy to have it at his LA shop but there is this thing called the Mississippi River for me.

Another practical way which I have done just like Ted did is to buy the model used. Then resell it usually at no loss if you buy it right. I've done that with 3 carbon guitars. It just has a larger capital outlay which adds to the risk.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 07-07-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

I bought my Parlor as a used instrument. Michael gave me a very nice deal. Sort of like Ted, I guess, I had to try it just to see if the raving reviews were warranted. They were. I hope Ted likes the 20.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I bought my Parlor as a used instrument. Michael gave me a very nice deal. Sort of like Ted, I guess, I had to try it just to see if the raving reviews were warranted. They were. I hope Ted likes the 20.
Hi Evan,

Been buying guitars just to try them for over twenty years, been a lot of fun. I decided to buy an x20 based on comments that the new ones are much improved, and suggestions that my opinion my be outdated, and I have to say that this 2017 model does sound warmer than guitars made a few years ago, but I still don't care for how the overly large soundhole faces me while I'm playing it, and I don't care for the 24-fretboard. I find myself either playing above the fretboard, or having to play closer to the bridge than I like to avoid it. Overall it's a nice guitar with excellent fit and finish, but IMHO, there are better options in tis size and price range.

This is my honest, and truly unbiased opinion, but I'm sure someone will challenge it.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Evan,

Been buying guitars just to try them for over twenty years, been a lot of fun. I decided to buy an x20 based on comments that the new ones are much improved, and suggestions that my opinion my be outdated, and I have to say that this 2017 model does sound warmer than guitars made a few years ago, but I still don't care for how the overly large soundhole faces me while I'm playing it, and I don't care for the 24-fretboard. I find myself either playing above the fretboard, or having to play closer to the bridge than I like to avoid it. Overall it's a nice guitar with excellent fit and finish, but IMHO, there are better options in tis size and price range.

This is my honest, and truly unbiased opinion, but I'm sure someone will challenge it.
Imo, there's nothing to challenge at all, Ted. Your perspective is valid so far as I'm concerned. Remember though, you can order pretty-much any customization you may want, at a cost of course, but not outrageous. That's part of the allure of Emeralds.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:39 PM

I think 21 or 22 frets with a cutaway is my sweet spot for guitars. I rarely play higher than around 18, but on patterns I sometimes go a little higher. I think I've gotten used to the 24 frets on the X20, but I sometimes play above its frets because around the 24th fret seems to be my natural strumming spot. Probably something to do with the acoustic properties of guitars.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 AM

I like Emerald guitars, I do not stay in the US.

I just don't think it's right for Ted to do a road trip with his X20. He is not a dealer and it made no sense for him or anyone to do so, if they are not dealers for the brand.

But I see opportunities of 1-to-1 exchange as suggested.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

I had/have the same problem as Ted playing above the fret board, I've managed to train my hand to stay a little lower, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it. Not a deal breaker, but would have addressed it when I ordered if I had known.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I can't imagine anyone would challenge your opinion, Ted - it's an opinion, not a quantifiable fact. Although, I do think we all bring some bias into our guitar choices - we are each a product of our unique previous experiences.

You don't care for the soundhole, I find it one of the very appealing features - neither of us are wrong with our opinions. Personal preference, and certainly not a challenge. We each get to vote with our dollars and play the instruments we enjoy.

As a dealer, I can't imagine you'd take on a line that you didn't personally appreciate. Also, as a dealer, your perspective is different from the typical consumer. I appreciate the fact (not an opinion) that you are still a guitar enthusiast.

All kinds of guitars for our different tastes.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I had/have the same problem as Ted playing above the fret board, I've managed to train my hand to stay a little lower, but it would be nice not to have to worry about it. Not a deal breaker, but would have addressed it when I ordered if I had known.

I didn't know this was a problem - I've always played all over the top, from the bridge up to, and above, the fretboard. Different tones. Electric and acoustic. Even with my traditional acoustics, I'm not always playing right over the soundhole.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 AM

I never noticed the X20 had 24 frets. My Doubleneck has 20. My wood dred has 20. Doubt that would effect me (flat picker tend to be lower than soundhole) but I've never made it to 20. Lol. My Les Paul has 22.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 AM
Guest 928

Ted;

I respect your opinion. I liked my X20-OSN, but ended up selling it because it was a bit large for my taste. It's not easy to get things exactly the way we want. If you decide to sell the guitar I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding buyers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber