The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Default Sitka Spruce

Well, I was interested to see what our community of serious acoustic guitar players and collectors would think about this.

There are old growth forests that are being harvested in an industrial maner and the wood from these trees is being shipped to China and being used for all sorts of purposes. One not insignificant purpose is tone wood.

I didn't think this was an inflammatory topic. I thought it was an important topic. Something we should all think about, because Sitka Spruce has become a much desired top for guitars. Also, I thought maybe as a community we would not want to participate in such a destruction of a natural wonder. How is this a divisive subject for us? Why would we not want to talk about this?

I know that I will favor woods from Eastern forests that are second or third growth over cutting down such majestic trees. It's like cutting down old
growth redwoods in California. I would not want to do that.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m02876 View Post
Well, I was interested to see what our community of serious acoustic guitar players and collectors would think about this.

There are old growth forests that are being harvested in an industrial maner and the wood from these trees is being shipped to China and being used for all sorts of purposes. One not insignificant purpose is tone wood.

I didn't think this was an inflammatory topic. I thought it was an important topic. Something we should all think about, because Sitka Spruce has become a much desired top for guitars. Also, I thought maybe as a community we would not want to participate in such a destruction of a natural wonder. How is this a divisive subject for us? Why would we not want to talk about this?

I know that I will favor woods from Eastern forests that are second or third growth over cutting down such majestic trees. It's like cutting down old
If you do some research,you may find that many American guitar builders are already being very diligent and honorable in protecting and using wood sources from around the world. Trees that have fallen from storms are one avenue for tone wood. These builders work under very strict laws.��

Old 12-15-2019, 09:36 PM

I wonder how much second growth trees there are out east, whether it could supply the instrument market continuously.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Second growth comprises a large percentage of the red spruce being cut today for soundboards. Second growth spruce is generally wider-grained, and it was initially an uphill struggle to market it, due to the totally unfounded bias against it. I think the growing acceptance of second growth red spruce (listening is believing) is the foundation for the popularity of Carpathian spruce.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I wonder how much second growth trees there are out east, whether it could supply the instrument market continuously.
Price should indicate or relate to supply; red spruce from out east comes with an upcharge over western Sitka. India, obviously an ancient civilization, has through careful management been able to supply the guitar world with the majority of worldwide supply of rosewood, and should be taken as a model.

Out west, it has been too much of the “wild west, gold rush” mentality, with slash and burn exploitation of resources - we have a long way to go out here before achieving balance with regard to resource management of wood & lumber products, including the cessation of raw log exports on a massive scale.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Before we rejoice for sustainable yields, it's worth considering whether these yields come from a plantation ecosystem that doesn't approximate the species diversity of a more natural system.

Don't mean to heap more guilt upon us, but if the source more resembles a corn field than an old growth forest, well...
Old 12-16-2019, 09:14 AM

Default Red Spruce

Thank you John Arnold for enlightening me about red Spruce.

I was at Guitar Villa in Bozeman last Fall and out of all
the guitars I demoed, I couldn’t put down a used H&D
slope shouldered made out of Red Spruce. I knew nothing about
red Spruce at the time. It certainly has a wide grain. But, it sounds
great. So I just bought it because it resonated with me.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
In BC on the west coast of Vancouver Island there was a concerted effort to protect the ancient rainforest of the Carmanah Valley & Walbran, which resulted in eventually the provincial government to protect it by designating it a provincial park. The previous generation of environmental activists have disappeared and without current protection the area is now fluid, with demand for employment and economic growth impinging on the area, which has the highest rate of forest floor biomass and the most rapid growth of trees of the mid northern latitude in the world, including Sitka Spruce.

....my post was about the yield of instrument grade wood from a Sitka Spruce tree..not about the practice of logging OG forests....I love Vancouver Island and have walked it’s ancient forests and kayaked out of Port McNeil and Torfino...Strathcona is one of my favorite places on earth......I will always stand with those looking to protect and preserve old growth forests...sorry for any confusion my post may have caused....
Old 12-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m02876 View Post

It’s not something which should be inflammatory, but sadly for some it is. You’re fine. When a topic brings up issues which challenges people’s core beliefs, there may be a reaction, including sadly, attributing nefarious motives to a new member of the community. Unfortunate, but happily most members have engaged with facts and reasoned responses.

Good for you that you took the time to listen and respond thoughtfully.

Welcome to the forum, I’m sure we’re all glad to have you.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Second growth comprises a large percentage of the red spruce being cut today for soundboards. Second growth spruce is generally wider-grained, and it was initially an uphill struggle to market it, due to the totally unfounded bias against it. I think the growing acceptance of second growth red spruce (listening is believing) is the foundation for the popularity of Carpathian spruce.

John, what kind of shape is the supply of Red Spruce in at present? Is it stable for quite some time as you see it, or is there going to be a very limited time of availability of viable Red Spruce for guitar tops in the near future?

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-16-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
Buy a live Christmas tree rather than a cut tree. Imagine if every year we all did this we could supplant the earth with abundant tree canopy. It amazes me to look out my front door and see 25 years of this practice in my own surrounding yard. FUTURE GUITAR WOOD SOURCE
I've got three western red cedars, Thuja plicata, in my yard that are former Christmas trees. (And one guitar with a red-cedar top.) Only trouble is that I have to put fences around the red cedars because the deer browse on them.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:30 AM

If you want to feel good about American guitar manufacturers preserving the sitka spruce resource, read this: https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/...artin-and-fen/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion