The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2021, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Default TS plug options

I recently had a couple of instrument cables made and went with a couple of interesting TS plug options. On either end I have an NP2RX-AU-SILENT and an NP2RX-ULTIMATE. These have been around for awhile but I've never tried them until now.

The NP2RX-AU-SILENT comes is a right angle plug that allows the player to insert and remove it without having to lower the amp volume. It totally eliminates the crackle and pop you get when you pull a plug from a live amp or guitar. There is also a straight (non right-angle) version of this plug.
From the Neutrik website: The silentPLUG automatically mutes (shorts) an instrument (guitar) cable to avoid pops and squeals when changing the instrument (guitar) under load.

The NP2RX-ULTIMATE is a right angle TS plug which also has the silent feature and in addition has a four-position tone-shaping knob that, if I'm being honest, doesn't really act much differently than a guitar's tone knob. The result is slightly different but not substantially so.

I think the NP2RX-AU-SILENT is a great option as it will let me switch guitars and amps without any extra steps in between. It works as advertised. You pull the plug and all you hear is the sound of the plug coming out of the socket, not a peep from the amp. The NP2RX-ULTIMATE, while interesting, just isn't different enough from the tone knob and I'll likely not go for that option again.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 03-29-2021 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:53 PM

I’ve started to swap out average plugs on decent cable with just those plugs, both the straight and the angled versions depending on the instrument (Tele, Jazz and 335 get the angled jack, Strat gets the straight etc).

Not only is the silent-switching ingenious they are also sturdy with excellent strain relief.

I have some Sommar cable which is good with Rean plugs, which weren’t so good. With the new Neutrik plugs on they are extremely good stage ready cables.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-29-2021, 02:04 AM

When I'm not using a wireless system (also silent when plugging and unplugging) I use Sommer or Cordial silent cables - both solid and reliable, whether with straight or right angled plugs. The exta cost is worth it to my ears....
Old 03-29-2021, 06:30 AM

Some active guitars will not be past their power up transients when these plugs stop their mute action. They work best with passive electric guitars in my experience.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-29-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Some active guitars will not be past their power up transients when these plugs stop their mute action. They work best with passive electric guitars in my experience.
Interesting - I have 2 active guitars (1978 Ibanez MC400 NT and 1986 Charvel Model 4) and no problems........ On what guitars did you encounter problems?
Old 03-29-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray175 View Post
Interesting - I have 2 active guitars (1978 Ibanez MC400 NT and 1986 Charvel Model 4) and no problems........ On what guitars did you encounter problems?
Taylor ES1.3/T5z (some time ago...not sure I remember this correctly) and an Ibanez bass with the EMG 3EQ1CMK1 bass preamp.

I think the main problem is these preamps power up by grounding the ring and the unmuting of the tip is racing the grounding of the ring on insertion. The ring just after the sleeve is grounded is at some voltage between ground and 9 volts. It can be quite a racket if a hot tip touches an ungrounded ring. The problem might have been worse for me pulling it out than pushing it in.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-29-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:09 PM

The input jacks on the majority of amps use shorting contacts to mute the input when no cable is inserted, and on older amps also enable the high and low input functions. If you pull the cable out a quarter inch or so from the amp, you'll engage the contacts that mute the input, letting you change guitars silently. You don't need to spend money on special plugs to do the same thing unless you want to, or have an amp that doesn't do this.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-29-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
...The NP2RX-ULTIMATE is a right angle TS plug which also has the silent feature and in addition has a four-position tone-shaping knob that, if I'm being honest, doesn't really act much differently than a guitar's tone knob. The result is slightly different but not substantially so...
Speaking as a part-time bass player, I like the idea - operating outside the range of any built-in tone controls it could instantly provide some mellower presets (valuable in an age of ultra-bright roundwound strings and tweeter-equipped amps that reach into the near-20kHz range); in addition, if you own one of those "volume-only" early Ovations (I do) here's a potential onboard quack-tamer - and it could turn a single-volume hard-rock machine into a potential multi-genre performer...
Old 03-29-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
The input jacks on the majority of amps use shorting contacts to mute the input when no cable is inserted, and on older amps also enable the high and low input functions. If you pull the cable out a quarter inch or so from the amp, you'll engage the contacts that mute the input, letting you change guitars silently. You don't need to spend money on special plugs to do the same thing unless you want to, or have an amp that doesn't do this.
That's really useful, thanks. I didn't know. I handle this by the fact that my tuner mutes the signal when engaged. Well, that and the fact that I only play one guitar, so changing is really a non-issue for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars