The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-05-2022, 03:52 AM

Default Pushing a Twin Reverb... HARD!

A friend recently re-introduced me to a band called "Refused", who are a hardcore group from Sweden. I was pretty impressed with the guitar tone on their most recent album, but couldnt place it... didnt sound like a 5150, Mesa Boogie, Marshall, or anything else you'd expect to hear on this type of record. A little digging turned up the surprising fact that they had recorded the whole album using just a Twin Reverb with a Boss DS-1 run through it. This reminded me that the guitars on Nirvana's first album were recorded through an identical rig. Listening to both albums, the guitars sound great... despite using an amp rarely considered for high gain tones, and a pedal that most people think sounds like crap.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I work listening to a set of studio monitors that is protected by automobile tail lamps that light up as current limiters as you approach the point of damaging your speaker drivers. The manual states that as you see the lamps light up you are approaching the threshold of damage to your drivers and "you are definitely experiencing hearing damage."

That's about all that comes to mind when I hear, "Pushing a Twin Reverb... HARD." That's a room I won't be in.

Nevertheless, the tone on the first clip isn't bad.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-05-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I remember reading how Steve Ray Vaughan seriously damaged his hearing playing a loud Fender Twin. Of course, I doubt that he was using a DS-1 stomp box.

- Glenn
Old 10-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I believe that B.B. King's favorite rig was a Twin, back behind the stage curtain, with EVERYTHING dimed (to 10)... and then he'd have a l o n g guitar cord and control his sound from the guitar...

Roy Buchanan would "dime" his Twin and have it facing the wall behind the small-ish stage where he was performing.. must have been ungodly loud!

So, I know that a Twin that's turned up "can" sound wonderful... but I believe I'd have to have it in the house next door from where I was playing... or else I couldn't do it!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-05-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I work listening to a set of studio monitors that is protected by automobile tail lamps that light up as current limiters as you approach the point of damaging your speaker drivers. The manual states that as you see the lamps light up you are approaching the threshold of damage to your drivers and "you are definitely experiencing hearing damage."

That's about all that comes to mind when I hear, "Pushing a Twin Reverb... HARD." That's a room I won't be in.

Nevertheless, the tone on the first clip isn't bad.

Bob
Even before I knew both albums were recorded with the same rig my impressions of the tone were about the same, taking the full albums into acount rather than just those two songs. While there is quite alot of bottom end on the tones, even to the point of sounding a bit sludgy at times, the highs give alot of note clarity. Thats often a tough balance to pull off with high gain.

As to the Nirvana clip... that whole album was recorded for $600 in 89. Given that it is essentially a garage recording, hammered out in a limited time by a bunch of amatures using whatever crap gear they could get their hands on, I think that album sounds amazing.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-05-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:37 PM

I've had a 1969 Twin for about 25 years. It's really loud, even on stage it's sweet spot is 2.5-3 volume........I use an old Chandler tube driver with it to provide grease w/o too much volume as it has a very clean sound. Most of the time I use a '64 Deluxe reverb which is easier to control in a smaller space. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

To this day, I blame the constant ringing in my ears on being at a Junior Brown show back when he played dual Twin Reverbs.

We were about mid way back in the hall, with the floor in front of us being reserved for those with seats at a table.

By the time the show was over, all of the people in front of us had cleared out due to the volume. It was brutal.

Still love Junior though....

D
Old 10-13-2022, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Talking Twin Reverb

A Twin Reverb is 85 watts.
I have a 1968 Drip Rail. From Dick Dale to Nirvana, it's a killer amp!

Bose 501 speakers also have light bulbs inside. Until I found it out I thought they were shooting sparks!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 10-13-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post

Bose 501 speakers also have light bulbs inside. Until I found it out I thought they were shooting sparks!
That clip I posted from the Refused album is actually one of the less extreme examples, just one I though that the fine users of this board might not completely hate.

On much of the rest of the album its got this very sharp, precise, heavily textured guitar tone. To me it actually sounds alot closer to a Triple Rectifier than a Marshall. But without the hash sterile sound that I tend to associate with modern high gain amps. Kind of a fun album to listen to just to see how much milage they are getting out of that rig.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post

Blackface through early silverface and the reissues are 85W. Later silverface Twins through the late 70s were 100W, and the 77 through 82 ultralinear models were a very punishing 135W.

And if that's not enough, Fender made the Super Twin Reverb with 180W.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-12-2022, 02:05 AM

My buddy had his father in law's 1965('64?) black twin, and that thing sounded like '70s stadium rock when you plugged a les paul straight into it and dimed it. That sound was truly nothing like what I'd guess the vast majority of folks (including me) think of when hearing "pushed twin." :-)
Old 11-12-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

the last time I turned up my (135w) twin, the police came ..
Old 11-12-2022, 12:56 PM

Did you hear about the guy who turned his Twin Reverb all the way up to 10?

I say, did you hear about the guy who turned his Twin Reverb all the way up to 10?

Did you...oh, wait you were in the room weren't you.

I associate loud Twin Reverbs with a lot of classic 60s to early 70s American rock. PAs were mostly for vocals.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars