The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2022, 02:07 PM

Default IOS App for Intonation and Capo Compensation

Hi,

I'm looking for beta testers for my IOS app Pitchslap. It was originally designed for setting intonation and now I have developed a new feature which allows you to create a custom tuning to compensate for a capo that pulls the strings sharp. I think it will also be of interest to people who like to experiment with sweetened tunings as you can analyse your guitars' fretboard response and create custom tunings with individual cent offsets.

The beta test is managed through Apple via their TestFlight app, you can join here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/HJcqvhLl (best opened from your IOS device). Apple review and approve the app before a version goes public and none of your data is shared with me without your consent. https://developer.apple.com/testflight/

If you want to check out the app first you can find it in the app store, it's free with no ads and I don't collect any personal data. Although the capo feature is only available as a beta at the moment.

Any feedback (good or bad) would be much appreciated, as a lone developer not making any money from this I don't have the
budget for a dedicated test team, although I do my best to iron out bugs before I release a build.

Unfortunately there's no Android version available yet although I do have plans for that.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited by SimonPSLP; 10-07-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Buy a Paige Click capo with the separate plastic pads. $70 but you'll not be tuning when you put it on or move it. Like a Blue Chip pick, you need to try it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-07-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Buy a Paige Click capo with the separate plastic pads. $70 but you'll not be tuning when you put it on or move it. Like a Blue Chip pick, you need to try it.
OP was looking for app testers, not for someone to tell them how to check intonation.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

That is an extremely clever name for the app! Well done, sir or madam. I want this app, although I have almost no use for it but I want to reward the clever.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPSLP View Post
Any feedback (good or bad) would be much appreciated, as a lone developer not making any money from this I don't have the
budget for a dedicated test team, although I do my best to iron out bugs before I release a build.
This sounds really cool - I’ve downloaded it and will check it out this weekend and reply with thoughts here. For anyone intimidated by TestFlight - don’t be. Super easy to install.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Just read your overview in the App Store and agreed it sounds most interesting. Another great rabbit hole to explore LOL. Fun way to spend a weekend....

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 10-08-2022, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the downloads... any feedback would be great, good or bad.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonPSLP View Post
Thanks for the downloads... any feedback would be great, good or bad.
I just gave it a spin and have a few initial thoughts:
  • The main issue I ran into with the CapoWiz is that it’s not capturing the reading at a consistent point in the sustain of a given note. I used my go-to tuning app, Helix Tuner, to tune up before I started. When recording a note, PitchSlap would initially show it as around 2 cents sharp, and then it would quickly slip to about 2 cents flat. Obviously notes flatten out as they sustain, but if I play a series of quick notes, I get an “average” of about 2 cents sharp, vs a pretty different result (flat) if I play longer notes.
  • Also, in order to generate a “sweetened” tuning for a particular guitar, I’d like to see some measurements that incorporate fretted notes, especially in a particular key. I see that there’s a “sweetened acoustic” preset that aims for this, but it would be cool if the measurements being taken could be converted to a sweetened tuning specific to my guitar and style of play. For example, maybe I play a lot in the key of G with the capo on 3. I’d probably want to make sure the notes in my open “G” (effectively A#) chord aren’t going sharp when I fret them. So the 3rd fret of the 6th string, 2nd fret of the 5th string, etc.
  • Also in CapoWiz, the initial screen says “… and tap start,” but the actual button says “Next.” Also, having different collections of settings for different guitars is intriguing, but I found it overly complex for my usage. If I find a great combination of tweaks for a particular guitar, I’d probably just name the tuning appropriately, and pull it from the larger list. But others may disagree, especially those who want to really dig into alternate tunings, different “sweetening” options for different keys, etc.

All in all, I like it and think it has potential to be really cool. Thanks for the opportunity to give it a try!

Kris
Old 10-10-2022, 03:59 PM

Kris, thanks for taking the time to try out the app and I really appreciate your feedback. I'm going to give all or your points more consideration, in the meantime these are my immediate thoughts.

1) I agree and this has been bothering me too and is particularly noticeable on the low strings. I'm averaging out the response at the moment but perhaps it'd be useful to have the option to adjust whether you want the attack to be used or the sustain.
2) To create sweetened tunings it's best to use the intonation tool to measure all of the frets for a given string, tap 'simulate', adjust the tuning +- cents and save. In typing that I realised I'd never explained that before - I'll add to instructions!
3) I'll fix the label, good spot. I originally chose to make tunings specific to a guitar because I each guitar's response will be different, but I completely get that this might be a bit cumbersome in most cases. I'm going to think that through a bit further.

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to get decent, considered feedback. So thanks again.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:18 PM

Happy to help! Let me know if you release an update - I can give it another shot and provide further feedback.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion