The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-08-2022, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi any websites that give classical TABS not Standard notation. I just don't have the time or patience to read music .Thanks.
I'd suggest finding a good teacher to help reading notation, or starting with 'Solo Guitar Playing' by Frederick Noad. The advantages will be huge - TAB is an inefficient way to read music.

Also, which is very important, problem solving and keeping you brain active (by learning to read notation) helps delay Alzheimer's.

Jonny
Old 10-08-2022, 08:01 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Pretty much true. From my point of view, I don't understand the hobbyist/amateur guitarist world. I started playing in 1960 and all I ever wanted to do was play in bands and make $$$. I just never thought of it as a hobby and learning was very easy and quick for me, I guess, because I had 9 yrs of violin/school orchestra behind me so I could read and understand notation and theory. It's hard for me to understand those who decide to struggle with learning to play just for fun - it can be really hard work and time consuming and, to me, there's no point in playing if you can't do it on a professional level. Some folks seem happy to learn a few chords and play around the campfire and that's perfectly fine if that makes you happy.
That's ok Skip

And us amateurs don't understand why pros make faces when they play

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-08-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
I'd suggest finding a good teacher to help reading notation, or starting with 'Solo Guitar Playing' by Frederick Noad. The advantages will be huge - TAB is an inefficient way to read music.

Also, which is very important, problem solving and keeping you brain active (by learning to read notation) helps delay Alzheimer's.

Jonny
very very good advice ! will do !
Old 10-28-2022, 12:59 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
very very good advice ! will do !
Tab is not an inefficient way to read, imo for many of us.

Your mind is going to translate the notation to tab on the fretboard anyway unless you memorize every note location on the fretboard, in standard at least. Then tab would be redundant.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-28-2022, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=TBman;7115913]Tab is not an inefficient way to read, imo for many of us.
Your mind is going to translate the notation to tab on the fretboard anyway unless you memorize every note location

How can one be a professional/expert level player without knowing the location of all the notes on the fretboard? I just can't fathom any other way to go about it. That's why I had to give up on DADGAD because all the notes are in the wrong places and I'm way to old to learn a whole new tuning just to play a half dozen or so songs that like. Plus, I rarely play anyone else's arrangement of anything and I can't improvise a new arrangement if I don't know where the notes are. I've managed to find notation for most of them and arranged the others myself.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Your mind is going to translate the notation to tab on the fretboard anyway unless you memorize every note location
How can one be a professional/expert level player without knowing the location of all the notes on the fretboard? I just can't fathom any other way to go about it. That's why I had to give up on DADGAD because all the notes are in the wrong places and I'm way to old to learn a whole new tuning just to play a half dozen or so songs that like. Plus, I rarely play anyone else's arrangement of anything and I can't improvise a new arrangement if I don't know where the notes are. I've managed to find notation for most of them and arranged the others myself.
I think maybe that's why many pick one favorite tuning and more or less stay in that tuning .... Al Petteway, Pierre Bensusan - DADGAD, Stephen Wake, Steve Baughman - Orkney tuning, etc.

Non-professionals like me do what they want, but memorizing all of the standard notes, at least to fret 14, wouldn't be that hard and now that I'm "teaching" myself classical it's probably a good idea.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 10-29-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Acknowledging that notation has much more information and that Tab has its uses for those of us who have not invested the time to master it, or who play in multiple tunings where the mental gymnastics get challenging, I can recommend the following books that contain both….
Classical Guitar Favorites with Tablature by David Nadal
IMG_1667045671.469594.jpg
And The Classical Guitar Compendium by Bridget Mermikides
IMG_1667045792.827232.jpgIMG_1667045810.014827.jpg
It should be noted that Tabs are often imperfect (either because they are a software translation or because they represent the preference of someone with more agile fingers) and the investigation of alternative fingerings is important if they don’t seem to make sense to the player.
To me, the most important thing is to enjoy making the music.
Old 10-29-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Skip Ellis;7115933]
Quote:

I would suggest very very few AGFers would say that is their goal.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-29-2022, 10:30 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post

I would suggest very very few AGFers would say that is their goal.
Just to be clear

I said

Quote:
and Skip said:

Quote:

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical