The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Default To Lug of to Lug Not... and other ramblings

Reading all the posts about the BOSE S1, Mackie Freeplay, Fishman LB Charge, I think we all agree that it is “liberating” to have the option of battery power. The S1 seems to have been a winner for many of us. I bought one, even when I intended to buy a LB Mini Charge.

To add to the battery flexibility, I also bought a portable power supply by GrantMaya off Amazon that will power any accessories with no problem or even my AER 60/3 for at least a 3-4 hour gig.

So with this light weight and flexibility - I find myself now in a bit of a battle about adding gear. I have a ZED 10FX mixer, Shure BLX headset mic, and am adding an IEM wireless system that will arrive tomorrow. I had previously used low latency Bluetooth transmitters and receivers that worked pretty well. right now I have been looking at mixer/rack cases to put everything in and be plug and play- wheels up in a matter of minutes. But it adds to what I need to carry.

What I carry is obviously dictated by the venue, but the S1 with only two inputs and no phantom power is somewhat limiting. I can use a headset mic with an inline preamp but it requires phantom power. If I add the Mackie M48 which runs off battery, I Can skip the wireless headset mic and just plug in the headset mic to channel 1 and run the K&K Taylors into channel 2. That is simple, but what if I need another mic? Of course I could use a Y adapter, but that is not a good solution. So, then I rely on the ZED 10FX mixer.

So the question becomes “to lug or not to lug” extra gear. Many of the folks on here are like me in the respect that we have been playing from the 70’s into our near or already retirement, so carrying gear becomes much less attractive. I am downsizing gear on the whole but also concentrating on how to configure what I have in the most effective way.

I am not even using my Fishman LB Artist or Performer but since I think they are great amps, not getting rid of them either. The S1, to me, sounds really darn good with my K&K Taylors plugged right in with the guitar preset and an SM58 on the mic preset. No muss, no fuss. I have gone to the headset mics to avoid having to carry the extra stand. The real secret to the headset mics is using IEMs. I have had no problem adapting mic dynamics using headset mics, so long as I can hear my vocals well. It just takes a little practice. I tried a bunch of those out too - DPA which was outstanding but way pricey, and settled on a Shure SM35 that I can get to sound like an SM58. If anyone wants any info I would be happy to share what I have learned.

So I was wondering if any of you are struggling with that “to lug or not to lug” question when you are prepping for a gig. You probably do the belt and suspenders approach like me - put it in the car in case you need it.

thanks again to everyone here who really contribute their experiences. I use this forum and search for ideas well before even doing my music gear shopping. One of our daughters described AGF as “Dad’s Facebook”. Can’t argue.

davidc
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Short answer is yes .
i struggle on what to bring almost always.
just picked up a new place. The booking agent
called me in a pickle needed to fill a spot tonight .
I told him sure(beats what's on tv any day) .
I bought a sunburst gear M6br8 6 months ago.
It's good for 30 folks in a quiet atmosphere .
But this is an outside sidewalk cafe gig.
so i may bring the k10 or both???
One never knows.
So while i own this battery powered hi fi speaker.
I play in no place where i actually need it.
There is always power available . So the
short answer is bring whatever you feel like
lugging. But power is not usually an issue for me.
And how many items can you plug into your power
supply before it won't last 3-4 hrs?
So if you always have power available,
the power supply is one thing you can leave home.
But if your like me you like to play with these things..LOL.
I know ...i am absolutely no help..
Old 08-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Actually it is helpful knowing you go through the same dilemma with every gig- there is always the fear that what you left at home is exactly what you need.
thanks- maybe a support group is in order- or maybe that is what AGF is...
Davidc
Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM

There is also the factor of venue PA equipment. One place I play has a really nice house PA, but using it means trusting the bartender. He’s a great guy but boy does he like reverb!

Something like an Elite Acoustics D6-8 lets you do your own mix, monitor it, and send it to a House PA where all it needs is to be sent to the audience unaltered.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I used to have a great (if old) Peavey p.a system, comprising an XR800f mixer/amp with very good Peavey passive speakers.

I am very particular about getting a natural sound which is why I prefer condenser mics, but oh it was soooo heavey ... I mean heavy.

In the end I found I was making excuses for not using it which was silly, so I sold it, and bought a used Bose system and a Yamaha mixer. Less power and less tonal quality but east to lug.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I have a TON of crap in the trunk of my car, all of the 'just in case' stuff. Since going the S1 route I'm loving the less is more. But I also have some things that are a must for the baseline gig.

The new S1 case I got (for free) has enough of a large compartment that I can now carry everything in that plus the pockets of my guitar gig bag but it makes both much heavier and I'm annoyed that I'm losing the ultra-light aspect.

But considering how much sound I can create and the fact that I'm still carrying everything in one trip by myself, I really can't complain too much.

I certainly can go back to ultra-light but that means no mic/stand for me or pole for the S1. I still need something with some boost/EQ/notch for my K&K Emerald.

Looking to trade some pedals for a Boss AD-2 which would get me there. The allure of just the guitar into the AD-2 into the S1 and my wife's mic into the S1 and that's it is awfully alluring.

But that's giving up a lot of little things that make our act special - some shimmer reverb on the slow songs, a little harmonizing here and there. Still...
Old 08-17-2018, 07:17 AM

Yeah, the 'just in case' stuff can add up - cables, mics, extra guitar.... And 'lugging' sucks. Wheeled transport of some kind is great, seems like more and more people I know are going with a little cart that can also act as a '2 wheeler' when needed. Problem is when you have a place with stairs (and/or a raised stage), of course!
I've found its easier (but slightly more time consuming) to make multiple trips in with gear. I have a plastic rolling trunk that can be used when I want to bring a lot of small stuff in - cables, mics, lights, even lyric/music binders. But its not long enough for mic stands (have a slim case that will hold 3), guitar stands or speaker stands. Looking for a good canvas duffle bag that will hold them.
I'd rather make 3 trips than struggle trying to move one heavy load - that cart is great until you have to try to wedge doors open at the same time as pushing/pulling it in.

Someone posted a thing about building a rolling cabinet that has everything contained in it, including a speaker that folds our from it, but unless you're good with working with thin metal, making something sturdy from 3/4" plywood is going to end up being heavier than ever.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

We practiced at a potential new venue yesterday as an audition of sorts and this place has automatic doors that open as you approach. We don't 'tote' a lot of gear but I'm still considering offering a discount on our normal fee for venues with these doors!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:43 AM

I don't play out as often as some of you do. And, where we play, we have a sound system. But, when I do play the occasional gig, I am mostly focused on keeping things simple, even if that means leaving all of the newest toys at home. Truthfully, no one hears any difference anyway. So, my thought process is this: what is the minimum amount of stuff I need to be heard? Then, I bring that.

All the pedals, loopers, IR, vocal effects, etc. that I have in my music studio just distract me when I try and perform songs. For me, that's the beauty of this Bose S1 (or L1C) system. You get really nice vocals right out of the box. Vocals are the hardest thing to get right. They need to be clear and crisp without the mud. And, as long as you can dial in a "good enough" guitar sound, all you need to do is focus on the music and your connection with the audience.

Some people play different music than I do and need the loopers and pedal boards. So, don't take my comment as a criticism. But, I don't need them. So, they become a distraction.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
There is also the factor of venue PA equipment. One place I play has a really nice house PA, but using it means trusting the bartender. He’s a great guy but boy does he like reverb!

Something like an Elite Acoustics D6-8 lets you do your own mix, monitor it, and send it to a House PA where all it needs is to be sent to the audience unaltered.
I know i've been on the fence about the d6-8.
I may sell my compact 60-3 to fund one.
the m6br8 sounds so good. The D6-8 must be awesome.
I never use the compact 60.
Put in on the forum classified ,reverb and ebay today..

Quote:
I don't play out as often as some of you do. And, where we play, we have a sound system. But, when I do play the occasional gig, I am mostly focused on keeping things simple, even if that means leaving all of the newest toys at home. Truthfully, no one hears any difference anyway. So, my thought process is this: what is the minimum amount of stuff I need to be heard? Then, I bring that.

All the pedals, loopers, IR, vocal effects, etc. that I have in my music studio just distract me when I try and perform songs. For me, that's the beauty of this Bose S1 (or L1C) system. You get really nice vocals right out of the box. Vocals are the hardest thing to get right. They need to be clear and crisp without the mud. And, as long as you can dial in a "good enough" guitar sound, all you need to do is focus on the music and your connection with the audience.

Some people play different music than I do and need the loopers and pedal boards. So, don't take my comment as a criticism. But, I don't need them. So, they become a distraction.
A lot can be said about this approach . It is certainly
easier to lug the bare bones to get by. And yes
most audiences won't know or appreciate the difference.
But i know. And if i sound subpar to me I won't play as well.
Or rather i'm concentrating on how crappy i sound.
all a bit of a slippery slope .,

Last edited by varmonter; 08-18-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:14 PM

My next gig I am just taking my S1, headset mic and guitar wireless. The accessories all fit in a toolbox I picked up. One Taylor, my iPad and iPad stand.
The less gear, the less I worry about the gear.
Of course I would be the first one NOT to criticize the more gear approach!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I know i've been on the fence about the d6-8.
I may sell my compact 60-3 to fund one.
the m6br8 sounds so good. The D6-8 must be awesome.
I never use the compact 60.

A lot can be said about this approach . It is certainly
easier to lug the bare bones to get by. And yes
most audiences won't know or appreciate the difference.
But i know. And if i sound subpar to me I won't play as well.
Or rather i'm concentrating on how crappy i sound.
all a bit of a slippery slope .,

Agreed. The “good enough” point is different for everyone. Some might be satisfied with direct in, others might need tone shaping tools. But, I find it’s easy to get carried away with the signal chain.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Packed you for tomorrow morning's gig...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification