The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Bose LS1 Model 1 with B2 Bass module Issues?

I am a solo act, keys and acoustic guitar, and voice. I have been running a PA system with a small mixer and two QSCs, plus a hotspot monitor for over ten years, and have the opportunity to upgrade to one of these Bose stick things. All the cool kids seem to be doing it, but I'm really curious about the downsides. I see all the rave reviews about coverage and tone quality-- I'm sure that's all true. I sing into a Shure 57 Beta (needs phantom power) and I'm curious about feedback issues (as well as the phantom power component). Also, with regards to the feedback issue, I've noticed that people recommend setting the speakers to the foreground, even with the performer. How does that effect the monitoring aspect of the rig? I'm used to having my monitor about 2 feet away, loud as I want and adjustable EQs. Could I run the hotspot monitor off the Bose rig, or would I just have to deal with it being far away and hope for the best? Thanks in advance for the input!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:54 AM

Others with more experience should chime in, but for me the sticks don’t sound
their best until you’re 6 feet or more away. If you want to have a close monitor
you should consider to keep using you hot spot monitor.

When you’re close you only hear a couple of the drivers. You need to be back few
feet to hear all the drivers working together.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Is there an output for a separate monitor?
Old 08-15-2018, 12:35 PM

You would likely need the new T4 mixer to go with that setup, which is not cheap. The benefit of these systems is that they, in theory, will push sound to the back of the room with less volume, and spread across the audience as well as a pair of your QSCs. In theory, you should be able to ditch the monitor. The downsides are the cost and the "coloring" that the Bose sound is famous for. If you're happy with what you have, you probably won't get any life changing performance differences for the new system. If you are tired of speaker poles, give it a try at a store first.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. Could you elaborate on the sound "coloring?" I am quite happy with the way the QSCs sound, just looking for a more compact/lighter/easier load-in/-out rig... Hauling around a piano in my sedan is tough enough. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBlack View Post
Thanks for the reply. Could you elaborate on the sound "coloring?" I am quite happy with the way the QSCs sound, just looking for a more compact/lighter/easier load-in/-out rig... Hauling around a piano in my sedan is tough enough. Thanks for the input!
It's hard to describe. But there is a "spacial" sense to the sound.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

First off, which L1 system are you considering? There are three, and knowing which one you're looking at will help with answers...

Secondly, Bose recommends that you position the unit 8-12 feet BEHIND YOU and off to the diagonal - not, as you stated, "even with the performer"... I can't always get that much space between myself and the L1 but I try; truth is, I'd rather the thing was 20' away from me than 3'! The sound "blooms" when you have a bit of space between you and the L1.

I've been using the L1 for about 8 years now; first, I had a used L1 Classic, then upgraded to the L1 Model II - with both of those units, I have used the B1 sub-woofer and have found it to be PLENTY of smooth, even bass response. I play 6 and 12 string acoustic guitars and sing (Shure Beta 58A) when I play solo. I've used my L1 for up to three folks and been very pleased with the results.

(Are you CERTAIN that your Beta 57 requires phantom power? I don't think so...) The little T1 mixer/tone generator is HIGHLY recommended by me... Just saw a thread about them being $200 off list at GC! If you can, try to make a deal and get one of the AC adapters for the T!, just in case you want to use it with someone's else's PA. What at first blush seemed to me to be a small expensive mixer turned out to be an incredibly sophisticated little machine... if you "dig in" to what the thing can do, you will be surprised. It's a LOT more than just a "little mixer".

The T1 will supply phantom power if you need it. With either the L1 Modell II or the L1 Soloist, you WILL need a mixer of some sort.

The B1 is the "standard"-sized bass cabinet - ~22#'s - and is powered by a line from the bass unit; it has no amp in it at all. The B2, on the other hand, does have amplification in it, is much bigger and weighs at least double the B1. I have a buddy who's more of a "rock/blues/electric guitar" guy and he has a B2 for his Bose rig; after a year or so, he's been looking for a B1 to use on smaller gigs...

As far as feedback goes? In my near-50 years of performing in bars, restaurants, coffeehouses, etc., I have NEVER used a more forgiving system, so far as any feedback issues... I'll have my rig up to performing volume level, 8' away from my mic - and walk away for a break without turning the vocal mic off... I have NEVER had any issues with feedback from the vocal mic. I have experienced a bit of "sonic insubordination" from my acoustic guitars - just the normal stuff (that Q range in the lower-mids which can be problematic), and any trouble has been easily cured by using the T! mixer's EQ and parametric EQ (separate for each of the 4 channels!).

Seriously, these Bose "stick things" are no joke; they are the real deal. Never played through a system that was so easy to set up/break down, so light to transport, that sounds SO GOOD for what I do... I've played on a few festival stages with HUGE PA systems that didn't sound as good on stage as the Bose does.

Another bonus is - YOU DON'T NEED A MONITOR, because, when the rig is a bit away from you, you are hearing the same volume and sound that your audience is hearing. I can play, at performing volume, and hear myself perfectly - and a table in front of the stage can hold a conversation without having to yell, AND a table 50' away is hearing nearly the same volume level that I'm hearing on stage!

(At this point, I realize I'm sounding like some proselytizing "fan boy", so I'll stop!)

I think I addressed your questions - oh! You won't "need" a monitor, but, yes, the T1 mixer has a way to run a line to a powered monitor, if you choose. Bose recently introduced 2 new versions of the T1 mixer - one is the T4 and one is the T8 - and they are similar in many respects to the T1 but NOT THE SAME.

I know how pricey the Bose gear is; I would suggest that you take the time to audition a system thoroughly, with your own mic, keyboard and guitar setup. That's what I did - I made arrangements with a Guitar Center in my area (SF Bay area) and brought my stuff in, set up and played for a couple hours... told him I wasn't going to drop $2500+ on gear until I was SURE that it worked for me.

The technology is sophisticated and a bit spooky (the way the sound seems to weave around a room - even around corners!), and it is VASTLY different than the standard "point-and-shoot" PA systems I used for most of my life... I love Bob Quilter and have known about his amps and gear for decades, and he makes nice stuff... it doesn't TOUCH the Bose rigs...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification