The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 AM

Default Question about Bose S1 Pro + L1 Compact.

Hey all,

I currently have an L1C and I am looking to add some "enhancement" to it. Specifically, I am looking at getting an S1 Pro to use as a floor monitor for me, with the L1C still handling the FOH duties. I like a FOH sound for my monitors anyway so was just going to mix the vocals/guitar on Ch 1 and Ch 2 of the S1, the use the Line out to drive the L1C.

Question is...what mix goes out the line out AND would lowering the volume of the S1 effect the volume on the L1C? If I wanted/needed the S1 Pro "monitor" volume to be low, would that limit the max volume/affect the noise floor of the L1C?

I could always use a standalone mixer (which I have) but like the cleanliness of leaving it at home if it will work.

I also intend to use the S1 Pro for other uses (including the battery option) so this isn't the only use case I am planning for but would be a primary one.

Thanks
Rob
Old 08-14-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Lowering the S1 volumes will lower the line out but when I used my S1 as a floor monitor I had it running just under half which gave me a great amount of volume as a monitor and gave my QSC k8.2 a ton of boost to really push some FOH volume.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

We recently thought of the S1 for the same reason, but ended up opting for a second L1C to give us greater flexibility.

We use a small mixer which feeds both L1Cs. When the second one is used as a monitor, we use the "Control Room" out put, or the headphone output to enable the signal to the "monitor" to have a separate central volume control at our fingertips.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I have an L1C and an S1 - love how they sound together. The S1 has a nice reverb that the L1C doesn't have. The L1C has the highs up on top of the extensions and the lows down at the floor; the S1 puts out all the sound where you position it. The S1 doesn't have a Master Volume, so it matters where you adjust the sound of the guitar and the vocal before sending it out to the L1C.

I haven't been using the S1 in the monitor position, but have it on the floor, a bit closer to me than the L1C. No issue with balancing the volume between the two.

We are out and about with our motorhome this summer, and the S1 is just easy to bring along. It sounds good by itself, but the combination (to me) is better than either unit alone.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

I just bought an S1 Pro a few weeks ago to use as a floor monitor with my L1 Compact and my L1 Model 2. I love it! It has made an enormous difference in my performing life! I can now put my L1 system wherever I want at the volume I need for the venue and enjoy the mix I want to hear on stage.

Before I got it I was wondering about the various configurations and how I would handle making volume adjustments.

I always use my Bose T1 mixer. It's so small and portable and any extra setup and tear down time is worth it to me. I would much rather have a master volume at my fingertips than to have to worry about adjusting the two channels on the S1 or the L1C.

So I use the Aux Out on the T1 to build my monitor mix. I can set separate volumes of my guitar and vocals and then send that to the S1 Pro. I can tweak these as needed throughout the show and never touch the front of house mix that is coming through the larger Bose system.

This has worked perfectly for me. I know the T1 is another something to buy and bring along but the ease of use more than makes up for all of that (IMO.)

Matt
Old 08-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Cool, it sounds like folks are enjoying the combo so I think I will likely pick up an S1. Like I said, it also has other uses for me: general monitoring, Bluetooth party speaker, acoustic guitar amp (especially for remote jamming), etc.

I will try it both with and without an external mixer, see how it goes. I have a Mackie 802VLZ4 small mixer that would do the job nicely. For the small amount of extra gear to haul it would probably be nice to have all that extra control, especially when issues arise in a gig situation.

Later
Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification