The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-14-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Fitting an LB6 in a Taylor 214ce

The Baggs LB6 requires an 1/8 saddle slot and from everything I've read, the Taylor already has a 1/8 slot. Also, there is already a hole drilled in the saddle slot (from the stock pickup) for the LB6 cable to fit through. Will I be able to just install the LB6 without any modifications?

Has anyone here installed a LB6 in a Taylor? Would love to hear about someone who has gone through this installation. Cheers.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 08-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
The Baggs LB6 requires an 1/8 saddle slot and from everything I've read, the Taylor already has a 1/8 slot. Also, there is already a hole drilled in the saddle slot (from the stock pickup) for the LB6 cable to fit through. Will I be able to just install the LB6 without any modifications?

Has anyone here installed a LB6 in a Taylor? Would love to hear about someone who has gone through this installation. Cheers.
You'll probably have to widen the slot (not the length, which is 2 1/8") to accommodate the LB6, which is slightly thicker than a standard saddle. You'll also have to shape the LB6 saddle but everything else you said should be fine. I use the LB6 as well and am very happy with it but I do leave the installation to a pro
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Wood Nacho,
I'm an LB6 fan and have attempted on more than one occasion to do my own install (not on a Taylor). Mistake. I've killed two LB6's in the process and messed up one bridge (although, not unreparable).

Although the process itself is not rocket science, it does require precision, know how, and a couple of hundred dollars in tools including a router, proper bit and slot cutting jig. As much as I wish it were not true: this is a job MUCH better left to a pro luthier.

If you want an LB6 and conclude that you are going to have to enlarge your saddle slot, my advice: take it to a pro and pay the money to have it done right. Then have a great time with a warm, responsive, musical pickup.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM

I just checked the specs. Taylors bridge saddle is listed as 1/8” wide and that is the spec of the LB6. The only problem I see is that the LB6 has an attached Micarta bridge saddle. That does not offer the ability to sand the saddle to string height preference.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I just checked the specs. Taylors bridge saddle is listed as 1/8” wide and that is the spec of the LB6. The only problem I see is that the LB6 has an attached Micarta bridge saddle. That does not offer the ability to sand the saddle to string height preference.
No, it does. You just sand and shape the micarta like you would any
other saddle. Again, this is best done by a pro as they have to widen the slot (almost certainly), shape and intonate the saddle, and possibly deepen the slot to accomodate the pickup while maintaining the action.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification