The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-18-2018, 10:45 AM

I'm a little confused here. Can backup (or gifted) wavemaps be stored on a computer hard drive or only on flashcards? I have updated but not tried backing up my wavemaps (which seems like a pretty good idea).
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I'm a little confused here. Can backup (or gifted) wavemaps be stored on a computer hard drive or only on flashcards? I have updated but not tried backing up my wavemaps (which seems like a pretty good idea).
Not only may they be stored on your computer, but they can be sent to others for use on their Tonedexter.

Here's a link to my Google drive where the wavemap I've been using is stored:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...rn?usp=sharing

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 08-19-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:56 AM

Over a year since the last post on this thread and we're up to V1.60.

Quote:
Version 1.60 released November 18, 2019

Feature Enhancements:
Foot scroll. Program changes (WaveMap select) may now be done with footswitch presses, in addition to manually with the WaveMap select knob.
Training algorithm significantly improved. WaveMaps have more high frequency content that more closely matches the mic sound during training.
Training algorithm is much faster, with typical training time around 45 seconds.

Bug Fixes:
None

Known Issues:
Character knob temporary display is finicky and will sometimes not match the actual setting. This depends on how fast the knob is turned. The knob position is correct, the temp display may not be.
I'm planning to run the update today so thought I'd give a little nudge to see how others are faring. If "foot scroll" fulfils expectations I shall be a very happy camper.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Over a year since the last post on this thread and we're up to V1.60.

I'm planning to run the update today so thought I'd give a little nudge to see how others are faring. If "foot scroll" fulfils expectations I shall be a very happy camper.
I’ve been using a beta version for a while. I havent tried the released 1.6 yet, but if its still like what i have, people will be surprised at how fast the training is. Sound is very good as well, the whole training process got faster and easier.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I’ve been using a beta version for a while. I havent tried the released 1.6 yet, but if its still like what i have, people will be surprised at how fast the training is. Sound is very good as well, the whole training process got faster and easier.
The Map switching with your feet works great too!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
The Map switching with your feet works great too!
Nice to hear. I'm just in the process of updating. Can you talk me through the map switching facility?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Sound is very good as well,...
Cheers for that. Is there a difference to existing maps or is the training process providing better (in what way?) maps?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Cheers for that. Is there a difference to existing maps or is the training process providing better (in what way?) maps?
Press tuner mode then press and hold and you can scroll with the right footswitch.

Maps need to be trained again to benefit from the new algorithm.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Press tuner mode then press and hold and you can scroll with the right footswitch.
Got that. Seems to be independent of "bank" setting too so will be useful once I've rethunk my workflow

Quote:
Maps need to be trained again to benefit from the new algorithm.
Oh, joy

Muchos Cheerios for the input.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:54 AM

That's cool to hear that they've implemented foot switching for the wavemaps - that was one improvement I suggested when I reviewed it here in the UK
Old 11-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
As most here know, the TD is an amazing piece of gear that truly changes the universe for anyone amplifying an acoustic guitar, mandolin, fiddle, etc.

The software update that now allows back-up and transfer of the instrument-specific “wavemaps” that the user creates is the finishing touch on this masterpiece, IMO.

I have used the TD since last October, and it's been perfect...great plugged-in sound each and every gig.
I agree completely with Larry. It’s a game changer, and that’s why I was an early adopter. This new update is important, for the reason that Larry states.

A note on the purpose of the thing as I see it: the purpose is to sound like your guitar with a mic rather than a pickup. If it makes your sound better with a mag PU, that, to me, is a bonus. It’s a good DI/preamp. But it’s real purpose is the mic sound thing. Same applies to using wave maps created by others of instruments that aren’t yours. That can be fun and interesting, but not the real purpose, in my view. We invest in an instrument for a variety of reason, the most important one being, for me, the sound of it. I want the sound of MY instruments, which I have invested time and money in. That’s not to say that I won’t experiment with maps created by others.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:22 PM

This is great news, particularly for the WaveMap scrolling which will help immensely in live use.

Also looking forward to the faster training (although it has been pretty fast for awhile).

I recently 're-amped' 4 hours worth of older (2014-2016) recordings (made through a Larrivee L-03) through a recent L-03 WaveMap and got excellent results. Interestingly, I also found that a different WaveMap from a different guitar (Larrivee L-26) sometimes sounded the best.

I mention this as I realize it is possible to get a musically interesting (not necessarily accurate) result from a WaveMap that is not your own. I imagine the best results are with instruments that do not differ too drastically (I tried a classical guitar WaveMap for grins and it was a weird hollow mess).

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 11-22-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
...I realize it is possible to get a musically interesting (not necessarily accurate) result from a WaveMap that is not your own.
To be fair, that could be said about what I'm hearing from my own W/Ms.

I've been with the TD for an hour tonight and I've struggled to get anything resembling useful, even from previously reliable setups/environments.

Onward and upward.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Using other people's wavemaps can be useful, especially in cases were there might be a better sounding guitar with the same pickup (an all wood Martin wavemaps on an HPL Martin for instance).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification