The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-05-2018, 11:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default JJB vs. K&K

I've heard around for years that JJB is essentially the same as K&K, using the same sensors etc. but at lower price points. Is this true?

I'm in the process of acquiring a mid-line used OM ($500 or so) and won't be putting an expensive rig in it, so just wondering about this question and other related matters. Other suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks, As Always,
Scott Memmer
Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 AM

I've never owned a K&K, but I'm quite happy with my JJB pickups - I have a Prestige 330 in the Gurian and a Prestige 220 in my mandolin. They sound great to my ears. I run them both through a Baggs PARA acoustic DI without issues.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 08-06-2018, 04:31 AM

AFAIK JJBs use sensors similar but not the same to those found in K&K Pure.
K&K's sensors have smaller diameter which can have impact to sound characteristics.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 AM

I've installed at least half a dozen of each in various guitars, but not shockingly never both in the same guitar, same model, or even had both pickups in two different guitars here to try out at the same time. I thought both sounded good and I would put the K&K in an expensive instrument mainly for its brand recognition should you ever end up selling the guitar. K&K grinds off some of the epoxy encapsulate that JJB does not. Both offer sensor size and quantity options marketed towards different types of guitar. I've found the inexpensive two small head JJB to work well and installed it in several GS Minis and mostly plywood imports.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-06-2018, 06:35 AM

While I've not done extensive tests, Larry (LJguitar) has and you can read his thread here (note there are others but you can search those out if you are interested)

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=415396&page=2

Since I have bought and still own guitars with both systems I can give you at least a fair assessment that, for the most part, I agree with Larry. The K&K is hotter, the transducers are smaller. While the JJB are very nice I would give a slight edge to the K&K for sound quality as well.

Having said that, for me, it was nice to save some cash if you want a system that is hand-over-fist better than so many more options on the market. I'm very happy with the JJB. Keep in mind you will have to search the internet for instructions for the JJB install and will also have to find your own putty (the K&K ships with both and the packaging is more polished). Packaging aside though, the Jesse provides stellar customer service and the product shipped quickly. No regrets here- with either option!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:14 AM

I have used both. I have had a K&K and a JJB installed in my Larrivee. To me the JJB may sound a little better. Maybe not as boomy but in all honesty, hard to tell. Either one is good as far as my ears can tell. I can't tell any difference in sound quality.

As far as which one is hotter, I may be wrong but I think it may depend on the guitar. When I plug in my Alvarez with the JJB , I need to turn the volume back a little as compared to the Larrivee.

You will be happy with either one. Jessie from JJB also provides the best service. It doesn't get any better.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 08-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I've heard around for years that JJB is essentially the same as K&K, using the same sensors etc. but at lower price points. Is this true?

I'm in the process of acquiring a mid-line used OM ($500 or so) and won't be putting an expensive rig in it, so just wondering about this question and other related matters. Other suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks, As Always,
Scott Memmer
Hi Scott

I've compared JJB & the K&K Pure Mini side by side.

Just my findings when compared side by side over a several day period…
  • The sensors are not identical.
  • The sensor of the K&K Pure Mini is 12.5mm versus 15mm of the JJB. This is a consideration on small bridgeplates. It also makes a difference in the tone…
  • The output of the K&K is much hotter.
  • The low-mids of the JJB were more pronounced. It is similar to the old K&K (from about 15 years ago) called the K&K Western which was far too bassy for normal guitars, but great in 12 string guitars.
  • The JJB became shrill when pushed too hard in my tests (the K&K didn't).
  • Mine were in OM guitars and I tested them through identical amps, with and without decent quality preamps (Raven PMB II). Both were installed by a professional tech (and I paid for both and the installations).

I have very high end guitars, that I spent a lot of $$$ on, and I'm trying to put my best foot forward in representing my amplified sound when playing live. I'm glad I spent the $30 difference in the price (with discounts)I'd have paid $100 more each after testing them.

I don't like the attitude portrayed in the FAQ section of JJB…(from their site)
A while back we were "accused" of doing nothing more than directly marketing similar products as our competitors and cutting out the middle man to sell them cheaper. Not only is that true, but we embrace this. That's who we are. We are a family based business and do not believe that you should be charged more so we can have fancy websites, elaborate marketing, a summer home in the Hamptons, you get the idea.

Other considerations come in the area of service. I have an acquaintance with an 8 string classical, and K&K custom wired up a pickup and sent it to him in another country. I've also heard of them sending replacement units for people with problems, and they have talked a bunch of us through technical and installation issues.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-06-2018, 10:30 AM

I have not had the experience of using the JJB's but I've had K&K pure mini's in two Lowden's and my harp guitar. The thing I like about them is that once installed, I forget about them. They do their work and I'm happy to worry about all sorts of other things in life.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-06-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
I have not had the experience of using the JJB's but I've had K&K pure mini's in two Lowden's and my harp guitar. The thing I like about them is that once installed, I forget about them. They do their work and I'm happy to worry about all sorts of other things in life.

-jay
Great post Jay. I've been waffling back and forth between the K&K and the Lyric mic for a few of my of my guitars. In my case, I need to have the external EQ applied for both the K&K and the Lyric to sound their best. The Lyric is a touch more clear with additional high end definition. But, most of that is eaten up once you plug it into an average PA system or amplifier. Your post was a great reminder that one of the best parts of the K&K pickup is that, once installed, it is transparent and disappears from memory. You've helped me make a decision. I'd like to get back to thinking about other things in life. Cheers!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Scott

I've compared JJB & the K&K Pure Mini side by side.

Just my findings when compared side by side over a several day period…
  • The sensors are not identical.
  • The sensor of the K&K Pure Mini is 12.5mm versus 15mm of the JJB. This is a consideration on small bridgeplates. It also makes a difference in the tone…
  • The output of the K&K is much hotter.
  • The low-mids of the JJB were more pronounced. It is similar to the old K&K (from about 15 years ago) called the K&K Western which was far too bassy for normal guitars, but great in 12 string guitars.
  • The JJB became shrill when pushed too hard in my tests (the K&K didn't).
  • Mine were in OM guitars and I tested them through identical amps, with and without decent quality preamps (Raven PMB II). Both were installed by a professional tech (and I paid for both and the installations).

I have very high end guitars, that I spent a lot of $$$ on, and I'm trying to put my best foot forward in representing my amplified sound when playing live. I'm glad I spent the $30 difference in the price (with discounts)I'd have paid $100 more each after testing them.

I don't like the attitude portrayed in the FAQ section of JJB…(from their site)
A while back we were "accused" of doing nothing more than directly marketing similar products as our competitors and cutting out the middle man to sell them cheaper. Not only is that true, but we embrace this. That's who we are. We are a family based business and do not believe that you should be charged more so we can have fancy websites, elaborate marketing, a summer home in the Hamptons, you get the idea.

Other considerations come in the area of service. I have an acquaintance with an 8 string classical, and K&K custom wired up a pickup and sent it to him in another country. I've also heard of them sending replacement units for people with problems, and they have talked a bunch of us through technical and installation issues.

LJ: I'll use your post to thank everyone for their feedback (pun intended). I'll continue to monitor this thread, and thanks in advance to those who'd like to add their comments.

Thanks, All,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 08-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:53 PM

My experience was the same. They lack the output of the K&K and to me, just do not sit out in the mix like the K&K. I installed them in my T5 using the second strap button as an output. I have been thinking about replacing them with the K&K.
To me it is worth the extra. However, JJB gives incredible customer service, as does K&K.
Davidc
Old 08-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I put JJB in a cheap archtop I rebuilt and they sound better than I expected and are thrifty.

I have Dazzos in everything else.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-06-2018, 02:30 PM

I had 3 JJBs installed, trying to save a little dough. 2 of the 3 were somehow defective (low output on one disc) and were replaced by K+Ks. Since I pay someone for installation, the savings disappear when I have to replace one.

At this point I don't have the time for trips to the luthier and equipment anxiety. It is K+K, or Dazzo, for all guitars from now on.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-06-2018, 04:16 PM

I didn't realize JJB had that on their website.

Nothing wrong with having a design closely resemble another. Same product/different brand happens in every industry. Whether or not it's true that JJB has been accused of being copycats they should re-word that. Why not just rest on a good product that just happens to be cheaper and having stellar customer service?

Also, faulty systems of either K&K or JJB? I seriously doubt either brand shipping out faulty units. Directions for both pickups clearly spell out to plug the units into an amp and test the transducers prior to installation. I feel it important to spell that out here to make the distinction between a faulty unit and a botched install as I would imagine both companies would gladly return/ replace a factory defect.

Last edited by steelvibe; 08-06-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:50 AM

I installed, with thin carpet tape, and removed a JJB in a neighbor's guitar. I emailed a pic of the removed pickup to Jessie and he offered to test and refurbish for free. In a few days it came back looking nearly like brand new and as the unusual is not that uncommon, it ended back in that guitar this time with cyanoacrylate. It now sounds great in that FG800.

I think we should forgive a few sentences on a website that are not that far out there. I've posted my share of less than perfect words.

I am surprised in this era of ample gain and tone controls in just about everything electronic, that anyone cares about a slightly hotter output or a bit more or less treble (not that I've ever noticed that in a JJB or K&K).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification